Being late on the 1st day of a new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember when I started, the first week i had a planned visit to me brothers in Cardiff
On the way back front tyre blew in the outside lane doing a tad over 70 Mph, car alloys was fucked.
Was stuck in the midlands in a bed and breakfast waiting for a the wheel to be replaced.
Had to phone in and say I can’t come in the next day, thought oh fuck.
But my ex gaffer had faith in me and said nee problems, get in when you can.
30 years later I’ve never been late or had a sick day, sad isn’t it.

Then you’re giving your time away for nowt surely?
Does nobody else here switch off their alarm whilst still asleep then wake up 5 minutes later wondering why the alarm didn’t go off?
I have 3 alarms and sometimes turn them all off without waking up.
I didn't say I turn up an hour early, but would rather that than be late.

No. It goes off, I get up.
Remember when I started, the first week i had a planned visit to me brothers in Cardiff
On the way back front tyre blew in the outside lane doing a tad over 70 Mph, car alloys was fucked.
Was stuck in the midlands in a bed and breakfast waiting for a the wheel to be replaced.
Had to phone in and say I can’t come in the next day, thought oh fuck.
But my ex gaffer had faith in me and said nee problems, get in when you can.
30 years later I’ve never been late or had a sick day, sad isn’t it.
Nowt sad about it marra. I went almost 20 years without a sick day.

Last edited:
I didn't say I turn up an hour early, but would rather that than be late.

No. It goes off, I get up.

Nowt sad about it marra. I went almost 20 years without a sick day.
That’s fine for the people it works for. I mean it works most of the time but sometimes I have no clue it’s gone off. I even bought one of those clocks on wheels you have to chase round the room but it eventually broke. The problem is that some people can jump out of bed at the crack of dawn fully functional. If I get up before 10am I’m staggering round like a zombie for 10 minutes waiting for my circuits to power up, regardless of what time I actually went to bed.

That’s fine for the people it works for. I mean it works most of the time but sometimes I have no clue it’s gone off. I even bought one of those clocks on wheels you have to chase round the room but it eventually broke. The problem is that some people can jump out of bed at the crack of dawn fully functional. If I get up before 10am I’m staggering round like a zombie for 10 minutes waiting for my circuits to power up, regardless of what time I actually went to bed.

You're a fuckin mess.

I was late the first day in one job. Massive place with a maze of corridors. I was in the building well on time, but couldn't find the feckin office, and walked into the morning meeting 20 mins late, saying " Morning, problem finding the department."......met with lots of rolling eyes. It turned out well though, I stayed there 10 years and quite enjoyed it.

Relax Dave man, I cant be arsed what time I get into work.

Do your job well, thats the main thing, it is only wasters who cant get the job done worry about clock watching in my experience.

Relax Dave man, I cant be arsed what time I get into work.

Do your job well, thats the main thing, it is only wasters who cant get the job done worry about clock watching in my experience.
Doesn't matter how well you do the job if you've got contracted hours though. If you're paid for 60 hours say, you should be working 60 hours. Not everywhere has the option to stay late to make them up.

Doesn't matter how well you do the job if you've got contracted hours though. If you're paid for 60 hours say, you should be working 60 hours. Not everywhere has the option to stay late to make them up.

fair enough then do what you have to and dont be complaining about others

I suspect you work in very different industries.

If you're late for a specific appointment or your lateness impacts others then it needs addressed.

If you're late for a job with no particular scheme (say a 9-5 office job) then it doesn't make much odds.

It's a 9-5 job, not 9:10 to 5:10......Our phone system comes on at a set time and goes off at a set time.....

Not bothered what anyone else thinks, lateness is a lack of respect for others and a lack of self respect for yourself.....society today is full of absolute weapons....

It's a 9-5 job, not 9:10 to 5:10......Our phone system comes on at a set time and goes off at a set time.....

Not bothered what anyone else thinks, lateness is a lack of respect for others and a lack of self respect for yourself.....society today is full of absolute weapons....

Most "9-5" don't have a bell that goes bang on 5 and everyone rushes out the building.

Are ypu talking specifically about a call centre?

I was late for the first day of a new job years ago because all the trains got cancelled.

The time after that someone forget to pass the message on that I was waiting in the reception downstairs and I was sat there for a about half an hour waiting. That was actually my second day though, I called in sick on the first day.

People are late all the time due to transport issues, it's not a big deal. Perhaps it's a London thing.

Last edited:
By about 20 or 30 minutes. The "reason" was pitiful.

What's your thoughts on that?
Unforgivable and is an early warning sign for what is to come. Get rid ASAP
No problem at all turning up late IMO, main thing is doing the job well.
Depends on the job of course. Current place, we have core hours of 10-3 (which are flexible anyway) but we work on a Transformation Project where output is more important that hours spent at desk/start & finish time. However, I used to run a Call Centre that relied on people being at their desks, ready to go as soon as the clock struck 8. No excuses, no passengers. I had to let a couple of people go in my first month because they were continually 5-10 mins late, every day.

Occasional lateness you can excuse - transport issues, crashes, punctures etc etc but when people are late every day, or even on their first day it sets alarm bells ringing. I'm with Roy Keane on this one - before his first day at Man Utd, he hired a Taxi to drive to The Cliff training ground. He followed the taxi so he could learn the route and make sure he was there in good time on his first day. Mark Bosnich wandered in an hour late on his first day blaming "traffic"

Last edited:
Well yeah you need to do your contracted hours. But where I work there’s absolutely no reason why everyone has to be there at the same time. A couple of us have changed our hours by flexible working anyway, so I can’t see any reason why we couldn’t have a flexitime system, apart from the cost of a clocking in machine.

But as mentioned earlier, I’m late for everything. I was meant to be on site for 10am today and it’s 30 mins away. I left at 9.40, and arrived 10 minutes late. I spend my whole life assuming any given time is plus or minus half an hour.

Well yeah you need to do your contracted hours. But where I work there’s absolutely no reason why everyone has to be there at the same time. A couple of us have changed our hours by flexible working anyway, so I can’t see any reason why we couldn’t have a flexitime system, apart from the cost of a clocking in machine.

But as mentioned earlier, I’m late for everything. I was meant to be on site for 10am today and it’s 30 mins away. I left at 9.40, and arrived 10 minutes late. I spend my whole life assuming any given time is plus or minus half an hour.

If you're not late for a specific appointment then that's fine but nonchalantly wasting other people's time is out of order and makes you look a dick.

You should just stop in and play on your playstation and claim benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back