Being late on the 1st day of a new job.

My first day in a job I was late. It was because of the crane crashing into the Thames and I was trying to cross the bridge on a bus at the time.

Did they ring in advance to say they'd be late? If so, piss poor form - stern words about first impressions.
If not, I'd find it difficult not to make them turn round again and sod off home.

My first day in a job I was late. It was because of the crane crashing into the Thames and I was trying to cross the bridge on a bus at the time.

That's a fairly acceptable excuse, in fairness.
Did they ring in advance to say they'd be late? If so, piss poor form - stern words about first impressions.
If not, I'd find it difficult not to make them turn round again and sod off home.

I know for a fact that the boss is regretting hiring him.

Depends how they acted when they got in IMO. Would want to see them at least willing & pressing to work through lunch and stay late, and then to be 10/15 minutes early the rest of the week.

If that was the case then by Friday I’d be happy with my hire, probably more so than if they’d been on time every day and clocked off sharp each day.

By about 20 or 30 minutes. The "reason" was pitiful.

What's your thoughts on that?
what was the reason?
I was almost late for an important job, I got lost in the woods on the way there I shit you not. I had to run like fuck to be on time, good job I left the house with plenty of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with a lad who when he started with the company they had his brand new company car dropped off at his house the day before he started. Then on his first morning he set off and wrote the car off within sight of the head office.
Actually he gained quite a bit of kudos for making an entrance like that.

Back