Beatles - White Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent.

Which school of music is your diploma from pal. Grade 8 Tuba, Euphonium. Played in Orchestras, Symphonic Wind Bands, Brass Bands for 38 years. Also play guitar and piano. If you want a serious debate on music how about you talk me through your knowledge of Shostakovich 11 or Berg's Violin Concerto or any of the other 20th century composers. I've studied serious music for 40 years mate and I could run rings round you when it comes to musical knowledge, so lets not be silly.

My post was asking for thoughts about it hence the query as to whether it's genius or selfindulgent pap. So instead of trying to be clever why not contribute your own thoughts about it.
Bazinga! What say you @Royal 8er ? :cool:

Excellent.

My post was asking for thoughts about it hence the query as to whether it's genius or selfindulgent pap. So instead of trying to be clever why not contribute your own thoughts about it.

It's both these things which makes it what it is, seemingly done without any thoughts on commercial appeal gives it it's charm imo, and some of the production is fantastic for the time, not my favourite Beatles album but probably the one that showed what makes them tick, a classic from the best band ever.

Last edited:

All the beatles stuff is superb obviously but their best album is hard days night soundtrack :cool:

White Album domes close mind. I even like rocky raccoon me!

Weird to think Manson heard it and took it as proof that The Fabs were approving his race war :eek:

Revolver, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Help!, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, A Hard Days Night, maybe even Let It Be are all better Beatles albums than The Beatles. That doesn't mean The Beatles isn't a good album but its by no means one of the best of all time.

Edit. Beatles For Sale is great and just as good.
Couldn't disagree more with the last 4 but can you think of a better double album?

Songs in the key of life? The wall?

I think i prefer the white album. Its a double album. Of course its long and a bit messy. What a mess it is though.

I still can't think of a better double album.

One of the greatest albums and perhaps the best double album of all time.
EOMS & BOB piss all ower it.

Genius - along with Revolver & Rubber Soul
Would've been alongside these in quality if they'd trimmed the fat off.

Another thread by someone who has the musical knowledge of an invertebrate, denigrating a universally acclaimed album by arguably the most popular band of all time.
Only on smb
The Sun is still the most popular newspaper in the UK. Talksport is the most listened too sports radio station on the planet.

Couldn't disagree more with the last 4 but can you think of a better double album?

Songs in the key of life? The wall?

I think i prefer the white album. Its a double album. Of course its long and a bit messy. What a mess it is though.

I still can't think of a better double album.
EOMS or BOB

The White album was originally going to be called Music from a Dolls House.
Family released their debut album Music in a Dolls House before the Beatles could get theirs finished, so they had to change the title.
Little known fact there for yous.
Love owt like that me.
Grateful Dead were gonna call one Skullfuck but nivver. Surely it's been used by now?

Excellent.

Which school of music is your diploma from pal. Grade 8 Tuba, Euphonium. Played in Orchestras, Symphonic Wind Bands, Brass Bands for 38 years. Also play guitar and piano. If you want a serious debate on music how about you talk me through your knowledge of Shostakovich 11 or Berg's Violin Concerto or any of the other 20th century composers. I've studied serious music for 40 years mate and I could run rings round you when it comes to musical knowledge, so lets not be silly.

Gannon marra.
Jack punch: everyone's new favourite SMBr.

Last edited:
My favorite Beatles album, a fine eclectic selection of songs, there's only Revolution no 9 that I don't listen too.

EOMS & BOB piss all ower it.

Would've been alongside these in quality if they'd trimmed the fat off.

The Sun is still the most popular newspaper in the UK. Talksport is the most listened too sports radio station on the planet.

EOMS or BOB

Good albums but i much prefer the white album

Songs in the key of life. Goodbye yellow brick rd. Whatever happened to double albums.

This is a superb list. I'd probably have the wall instead of bitches brew.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/11419935/The-best-double-albums-ever.html

Last edited:
Considering by that point they were falling apart as a band & pretty much writing (& sometimes recording) individually, it is a remarkable album. It divides opinion among Beatles fans, should it have been condensed into a single album; should Revolution 9 have gone on the album? Ultimately it is what it is.

Considering by that point they were falling apart as a band & pretty much writing (& sometimes recording) individually, it is a remarkable album. It divides opinion among Beatles fans, should it have been condensed into a single album; should Revolution 9 have gone on the album? Ultimately it is what it is.
I think it was the Beatles tip of the hat to Stockhausen and the avant garde, not my cup of tea, but you can see what type of territory they were covering. maybe a wrong choice for a pop group though.

I think it was the Beatles tip of the hat to Stockhausen and the avant garde, not my cup of tea, but you can see what type of territory they were covering. maybe a wrong choice for a pop group though.

I don't think even the other three Beatles wanted it to be included but Lennon got his way in the end.

I don't think even the other three Beatles wanted it to be included but Lennon got his way in the end.
Weirdly enough McCartney has made loads of avant guard stuff under other names since. The Fireman being one of his pseudonyms. His own brand stuff has always been yer meat n potatoes rock based stuff so he gets the weird out of his system anonymously.

I prefer the blue n the red ones mesel.
I've also got the "naked" let it be album without the strings that Iirc MacCartney preferred before Spector got involved. I don't even think I've played it yet.

Last edited:
Weirdly enough McCartney has made loads of avant guard stuff under other names since. The Fireman being one of his pseudonyms. His own brand stuff has always been yer meat n potatoes rock based stuff so he gets the weird out of his system anonymously.

I prefer the blue n the red ones mesel.
I've also got the "naked" let it be album without the strings that Iirc MacCartney preferred before Spector got involved. I don't even think I've played it yet.

I prefer "Let It Be Naked" to the original.

I'm sure I read an interview with McCartney saying that him and Lennon were really into some of the avant garde classical stuff at the time.

I tried listening to some Stockhausen years ago and found it completely f***ing weird. Might try again at some point to see if I still think the same now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back