Basic knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lost count of the times I have watched quizzes on TV when the contestants have said that Geography is not their subject, it is almost always women.Come to think of it, they also say the same thing about History.

I have a theory about young people knowing very little general knowledge. When we were kids you had to watch whatever was on the telly at the time. There were hardly any channels. So you watched loads of things you might not of if you had more choice. Hence you absorbed a wider range of stuff, from news, history whatever. Kids today watch whatever they want, whenever they want, which is mostly mindless cack and generally new. Never old programmes or old films. Hence they don't learn, gain any info beyond the small area they're interested in. Hence idiots.
Precisely what I was saying to my lass the other day

Used to work with a woman who, when I told her I had watched 'Drain the Ocean' on TV , re the Titanic, she asked me if they had actually done that, and how come it had worked so well, she was a bit bemused when I told her they had not, and it was done with computers.

Last edited:

Do Muslims have shower curtains? Seems like waste of an opportunity not to have another set to keep closed
:lol:

That’s a possibility .I think a few on here think I’m taking the piss but drive round any Muslim ghetto in the UK and the curtains will be closed even on a day like today .Closer to home Eden Vale/millfield is a prime example .

There are a load of thick people around like.

I was watching a Documentary one night about the Atlas Mountains in North Africa.
There were some beautiful shots of them and she looked up from her magazine and said "Where are they like?" I replied "Africa" she replied "They can't be in Africa they've got snow on them"

Last edited:
My mate and his missus were on holiday in Spain, and he was talking to an older fella who worked at the hotel they were staying at.
The old fella was talking about past times and said how he felt that life was terrible under (General) Franco, and that life was much better without him.
My mates missus, oblivious or ignorant to the ongoing conversation, asked my mate "who's Franco ? Was he the hotel owner ? :eek: :rolleyes: :lol:

There was a fake documentary on telly maybe 7 or 8 years ago about mermaids. A site agent at work believed every word and he's convinced even now that mermaids exist. After all he's seen the proof on telly.
One of my sisters is as brainy as owt, she's high up in the NHS and earns shit loads of money but gullible as fuck. She once overheard us having a conversation about Quails eggs, she said "Wales don't lay eggs". 10 minutes later we had her convinced wales lay eggs and when they hatch, the mother whale has to quickly push the baby whale to the surface to catch its first breath!

Lass I used to work with who was knowledgable about her job was similar, when Thatcher died she asked if she was the queens sister and thought nuts were just made in factories she didn't know they were grown.

Now I don’t claim to be any sort of genius on the topic of maths, but surely this takes the piss. Last week I was talking to a lass at work who reckoned her boyfriend thinks she’s thick because she couldn’t work out how long it would take to travel 60 miles at 60mph. Naturally, I agreed with her boyfriend that she is indeed thick as the answer is clearly 1 hour (60/60=1), simple yes? Wrong, this was an impossible thing to explain to her and she couldn’t get it out of her head that it took her about 45 minutes to get from Peterlee to Barnard Castle which is 30 odd miles so how can it only take an hour to do 60 miles :rolleyes:
After spending far longer than intended trying to explain the basic rules of arithmetic, I ring my mate who is also on shift to confirm I’m right as I’m starting to doubt myself. I put the same question to him and he replies ‘well it takes me about an hour and a half to get from here to Newcastle’. :eek: I put the phone down.

Neither of them knew the dates of the First World War either. Surely this is basic stuff or is this just how it is now?

Lass I used to work with who was knowledgable about her job was similar, when Thatcher died she asked if she was the queens sister and thought nuts were just made in factories she didn't know they were grown.

This is frighteningly similar to the conversation I had. But I spent far too long trying to explain and ended up losing my rag :lol:

The amount of people who can't differentiate between They're/There/Their is quite staggering.
Or people who are guttered

Aye mate. I own a business and you probably make minimum wage, but crack on.

Come and see me at the first home game of the season, call me thick to my face and see if you think I’m friendly.
Not sure being a rent boy can be classed as owning a business mind

Last edited:
When Ronnie Biggs died a few years back the discussion about the Great Train Robbery came up at work and what they stole. (I think it was about 2 million at the time)

Female colleaguesaid "It was a bit daft the fuss they made because if you think about it 2 million isnt really a lot of money now is it?"

I replied along the lines of 2 million was a lot of money to steal back then (Equivalent to about 50 million today iirc) so that's why it was a big deal.

Lady in question repeats the line that it's not a lot now. I tried to explain monetary equivalents changing over time but gave up after the 5th "But it's not a lot of money now"

You should have explained it in terms she could readily understand, for example, that 2.6 million pounds in 1963 would have bought you approxomately 3 million lipsticks. Today 2.6 million would buy you 120 thousand lipsticks. OMG!

I wonder what sort of business he runs?

Window cleaner. Assests of the business: One ladder, one bucket, one sponge, one squeegee.

Last edited:
There was a fake documentary on telly maybe 7 or 8 years ago about mermaids. A site agent at work believed every word and he's convinced even now that mermaids exist. After all he's seen the proof on telly.
One of my sisters is as brainy as owt, she's high up in the NHS and earns shit loads of money but gullible as fuck. She once overheard us having a conversation about Quails eggs, she said "Wales don't lay eggs". 10 minutes later we had her convinced wales lay eggs and when they hatch, the mother whale has to quickly push the baby whale to the surface to catch its first breath!
Welsh people lay eggs??? :eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back