Basic knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've absolutely no idea how to work a loom or dig a coal face like. Life skills change.

Maths and navigation are a bit different to coal mining and working a loom.

To me, basic maths isn't far off cooking as a skill people should have. It's not like everyone needs to be a Michelin star chef, but I'd like to think we didnt have a generation of people who relied so heavily on a microwave that they couldnt fry an egg.

Map reading is the same. There is no need for everyone to know the difference in symbols between a church with a spire and one without, but the basic knowledge of how to orientate the map and use a scale is worth knowing.

Far more important than knowing which Kardashian is pregnant or when the next series of X factor starts!

To me, basic maths isn't far off cooking as a skill people should have. It's not like everyone needs to be a Michelin star chef, but I'd like to think we didnt have a generation of people who relied so heavily on a microwave that they couldnt fry an egg.

Map reading is the same. There is no need for everyone to know the difference in symbols between a church with a spire and one without, but the basic knowledge of how to orientate the map and use a scale is worth knowing.

Far more important than knowing which Kardashian is pregnant or when the next series of X factor starts!
But what does it matter if people do need a microwave to fry an egg? (Or even poach one).

I’m sure someone said the same thing about washing machines in the 60s. “Kids these days have lost the life skills needed to wash their own clothes properly. Technology has ruined it for them.”

Technology changes what our “basic” life skills are.

(I think basic maths is slightly different, but more sensible estimation of quantities than specific arithmetic, really).

I accept that. But kids still need mental arithmetic.

Nothing wrong with a few life skills. Its trivial simple stuff I get that. But when we live in a world where kids "dont need" mental arithmetic because they have calculators, or cant navigate a map in a shopping centre because "they always have google" we have a problem.
Oldest son and girlfriend were amazed i could drive to Leeds Bradford airport without a sat nav, asked how I knew the way, were amazed when I said i just follows the road signs even texted to make sure I got back alright. Both have a master degree

Last edited:
But what does it matter if people do need a microwave to fry an egg? (Or even poach one).

I’m sure someone said the same thing about washing machines in the 60s. “Kids these days have lost the life skills needed to wash their own clothes properly. Technology has ruined it for them.”

(I think basic maths is slightly different, but more sensible estimation of quantities than specific arithmetic, really).
On the cooking theme, it matters because they will eventually come across a situation where they have no microwave available and only a gas hob available to cook a meal. My 14 year old son often cooks his own tea by choice. Yesterday he made pan fried salmon in a garlic cream sauce, new potatoes, broccoli and carrots.

On the cooking theme, it matters because they will eventually come across a situation where they have no microwave available and only a gas hob available to cook a meal. My 14 year old son often cooks his own tea by choice. Yesterday he made pan fried salmon in a garlic cream sauce, new potatoes, broccoli and carrots.
What a weird thing for a 14yr old to choose to eat.

I know at least 3 people who thought initially that Portugal was in Spain

I say people I mean women

They were all women

I know some won’t like it, but the overwhelming majority of stupid shite I’ve heard over the years has came from lasses.

I don’t know why though. Lasses aren’t thicker than lads in general.

And the worst bit is that said thickies then think you're a bit weird for actually knowing basic stuff

Absolutely this.

They look at you as if you’re the weird one, not them who thought that the moon and sun are the same thing or that taps are electric.

If there’s no microwave, make a sandwich.

Seriously though, we’ve only had hobs for a relatively short space of time. I’m sure people before that were disgusted that their kids never learned how to cook a stew over an open fire in a huge pot.

Stuff changes.

To be fair it takes 60 minutes to travel 60 miles in 60 minutes, so he wasn’t wrong.
Problem solved.

Seriously though, we’ve only had hobs for a relatively short space of time.
In evolutionary terms, a blink of an eye.

It is highly likely that our digestive systems are adequately developed to fully exploit all of the nutrients and calories contained in a hobnob. Indeed, the clue is in the name: "Digestive" system.

Last edited:
Now I don’t claim to be any sort of genius on the topic of maths, but surely this takes the piss. Last week I was talking to a lass at work who reckoned her boyfriend thinks she’s thick because she couldn’t work out how long it would take to travel 60 miles at 60mph. Naturally, I agreed with her boyfriend that she is indeed thick as the answer is clearly 1 hour (60/60=1), simple yes? Wrong, this was an impossible thing to explain to her and she couldn’t get it out of her head that it took her about 45 minutes to get from Peterlee to Barnard Castle which is 30 odd miles so how can it only take an hour to do 60 miles :rolleyes:
After spending far longer than intended trying to explain the basic rules of arithmetic, I ring my mate who is also on shift to confirm I’m right as I’m starting to doubt myself. I put the same question to him and he replies ‘well it takes me about an hour and a half to get from here to Newcastle’. :eek: I put the phone down.

Neither of them knew the dates of the First World War either. Surely this is basic stuff or is this just how it is now?
I once asked my 23 (at the time) year old son to close the door when he left as I had to dash off. He said “how do I do that?”!!!
I exploded.

I think basic cooking skills have been lost. I think it matters to the quality of life for people.
I assume most people will disagree.

100% agree with this. Apart from Kardashian family. People like to be entertained and seem to like them.

It's what happens when we allow women in the workplace Harry.
I'm a much better cook than the missus. I do like doing it mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back