Basic knowledge

Surely making palatable, nutricious food is a skill worth preserving. No matter what the devices used to use to cook it.
Well exactly. But just because we’ve lost the basic life skill of skinning the thing we’re cooking, doesn’t mean we need to preserve that bit.

I still remember most of my childhood friends phone numbers despite not seeing most of them for over 20 years. If put a gun to my son's head and ask me to save his life by reciting his mobile number - that kid is fucked.
That’s because he doesn’t need to know it though. Our needs have changed because our technology has changed.

Last edited:
Well exactly. But just because we’ve lost the basic life skill of skinning the thing we’re cooking, doesn’t mean we need to preserve that bit.

That’s because he doesn’t need to know it though. Our needs have changed because our technology has changed.

Hells , I'm getting the impression you'd be a great help in a bad situation :) I mean it's not as if society is breaking down, Politics is breaking down and in fact we've been told the planet will probably be destroyed in 12 years. I'd argue it is more important than ever that kids have life skills.

This thread reminds me of a thing I read last year.

Imagine a time traveller went back and met a caveman. With him he had a iPad (other tablets are availiable). He showed it to the caveman and explained.

"This little device contains almost everything humanity has discovered. It contains our history, our literature, science, art. It contains advice for those in need and navigation for those who are lost. It has up to date news and with it I can communicate with humans all over the world

The caveman looked on in amazement

"But mostly we use it for looking at naked ladies and pictures of cats".

In a world where children have endless resources of knowledge at their finger tips, it amazes me how much basic information they are missing!
That's pretty much all you would be able to do with it if you went back in time considering there would be no networks and internet. And you'd be lynched when the battery ran out.

Last edited:
I suppose people in middle ages didn't need map reading. They never went anywhere and there was hardly any maps.
Although this is a widely held assumption it appears to be far from the case. People in the Middle Ages did travel widely across Europe but it is true to say that there wasn't a package tour industry.

Consider the many "faithfull" folk who would travel to Canterbury and other sites of pilgrimage all over the Country and Europe. Anglo Saxon Princesses were married in to and became Queens of Hungarian states. King Harold visited Rome several times before meeting up with William at Hastings as did the Patron Saint of Sunderland Benedict Biscop in the C7th (he visited Rome not met up William the Bastard) .

Of course being English their was always a good opportunity for a trip to France during the 100 years War not to mention trips in to Italy. When it comes down to it the Anglo Saxons themselves got here by travelling halfway across Northern Europe in some considerable numbers. They were a people who migrated to England rather than invaded it.

I have even seen Bronze Age villages in the Isle of Scilly where small artifacts from North Africa and the Middle East were found. No proof that the inhabitants travelled there but the obvious knew someone who did. Even the prehistoric "archer" who they found buried at Stonehenge came from Switzerland .

Although this is a widely held assumption it appears to be far from the case. People in the Middle Ages did travel widely across Europe but it is true to say that there wasn't a package tour industry.

Consider the many "faithfull" folk who would travel to Canterbury and other sites of pilgrimage all over the Country and Europe. Anglo Saxon Princesses were married in to and became Queens of Hungarian states. King Harold visited Rome several times before meeting up with William at Hastings as did the Patron Saint of Sunderland Benedict Biscop in the C7th (he visited Rome not met up William the Bastard) .

Of course being English their was always a good opportunity for a trip to France during the 100 years War not to mention trips in to Italy. When it comes down to it the Anglo Saxons themselves got here by travelling halfway across Northern Europe in some considerable numbers. They were a people who migrated to England rather than invaded it.

I have even seen Bronze Age villages in the Isle of Scilly where small artifacts from North Africa and the Middle East were found. No proof that the inhabitants travelled there but the obvious knew someone who did. Even the prehistoric "archer" who they found buried at Stonehenge came from Switzerland .
Interesting post. I think Harry's point still stands though, the average person probably needed to be able to read a map in the same way the average person needs to be able to perform spinal surgery today.

thats not the point though. without sounding dramatic, there are little 'skills' and knowledge left that kids learn these days, as part of growing up, which helps them develop into adulthood. the likes of repairing bikes and cars, mending things, making things, playing out in general, finding their way around, remembering information and instructions on things, little snippets of knowledge like old wives tales, handy tips for around the house etc.. yes things change, needs change, but what is the equivalent these days that kids are clued up on? phones? playstations? i bet not many kids can take a phone to bits or repair a computer.

thats not the point though. without sounding dramatic, there are little 'skills' and knowledge left that kids learn these days, as part of growing up, which helps them develop into adulthood. the likes of repairing bikes and cars, mending things, making things, playing out in general, finding their way around, remembering information and instructions on things, little snippets of knowledge like old wives tales, handy tips for around the house etc.. yes things change, needs change, but what is the equivalent these days that kids are clued up on? phones? playstations? i bet not many kids can take a phone to bits or repair a computer.
There's a canny difference between fixing a bike and fixing a PlayStation like.

I meant your average punter.

Back