Bancroft as captain

Not sure it sends the right message. Would have preferred Raine or Lees but I suppose we don't know if they'd have wanted it. No blindingly obvious candidates, though...

I said last season Cameron Steel would be my captain and I stand by that.

Lees, Raine and Rushworth should be regulars this season, therefore are more then credible options.

I said last season Cameron Steel would be my captain and I stand by that.

Lees, Raine and Rushworth should be regulars this season, therefore are more then credible options.

You rarely see a quick bowler as a captain these days, not that it has to be a batsman- Jason Gillespie has a reputation as a very good coach but did he captain any first-class teams?

I think Steel is better concentrating on his batting at the moment but Bancroft would be below them all on my list, not just because of his part in the ball-tampering events (although that should be enough) but also because there's nothing to say he'll be here for more than the one season anyway (as far as I know).

You rarely see a quick bowler as a captain these days, not that it has to be a batsman- Jason Gillespie has a reputation as a very good coach but did he captain any first-class teams?

I think Steel is better concentrating on his batting at the moment but Bancroft would be below them all on my list, not just because of his part in the ball-tampering events (although that should be enough) but also because there's nothing to say he'll be here for more than the one season anyway (as far as I know).
He misses the first game and Australia may well call him up also

I suspected this was coming like, made sense about the lack of announcement

I wouldn’t have done it. I’d have done Raine, although there are a lack of candidates

I don’t agree with @GordonMuchallNo1Fan about steel, he’s ok, but I think he needs to focus on staying in the team which I don’t think is guaranteed now burnham is back

Rushy an option

It’s weird as if I’m honest I didn’t want to sign Bancroft, he acted so poorly his
Whole international career, not just the cheating, the sledging, the taking the piss out of bairstow in a prediscussed press conference

But seeing the club get stick on twitter by instinct is to defend them and get behind them

Last edited:
I'm sure his "knowledge" will come in useful. Bringing everything Mr Warner taught him to Durham ;)

You a fan of The Smiths marra?

I suspected this was coming like, made sense about the lack of announcement

I wouldn’t have done it. I’d have done Raine, although there are a lack of candidates

I don’t agree with @GordonMuchallNo1Fan about steel, he’s ok, but I think he needs to focus on staying in the team which I don’t think is guaranteed now burnham is back

Rushy an option

It’s weird as if I’m honest I didn’t want to sign Bancroft, he acted so poorly his
Whole international career, not just the cheating, the sledging, the taking the piss out of bairstow in a prediscussed press conference

But seeing the club get stick on twitter by instinct is to defend them and get behind them

Great post TR, not saying I agree with all of it but it’s very close to how I feel on the topic.

Last edited:
Think it’s a good appointment he’s plenty to prove and he’s obviously well thought of. Bookmark this he will have a belter of a season and see promotion achieved.

Ha way lads :)

No issue with me.

He’s our best batsman, is guaranteed to be starting every game and has international experience.

We don’t even know who half our side is going to be.

Good choice

Back