Ba or Roberts

Was just about Roberts poorest game today, not involved at all and seemed to drift inside rather than hugging the wing. Ba played well. Never looks in control, but is decent, pacy and determined.

Tough call, but nice to have options.

I don't think Roberts offered anything today tbh. Suppose he finally got a goal contribution, technically :lol: , but he really needs to up his game. Ba should be played wide for now, his movement off the ball is so much better than Roberts.
I’d agree presently. I wouldn’t play any midfielder as a “second forward” though. None are particularly effective in that role. (Cue the comments about the fact that job scores today).

It’s definitely a conundrum. Beale said in an interview that Ba prefers central, but I think he’s at his best when he’s hugging the touch line and giving fullbacks bother in transition.

On the other hand, Roberts has all the trappings of a midfield player (because of his close control) but he seems to prefer running in to the middle from wide when we have fixed possession. Neither of them are playing terribly, but neither are maximised right now.

I honestly don’t know what I’d pick next game. I’d probably start with both again since we had such a good performance today, but I suppose it depends on the type of opposition we face.

Edit: I just realised, this doesn’t take into account the fact I wanted Jobe rested, and then he comes on and bloody scores immediately! :lol:

Absolutely no idea what our best 11 is right now.

Last edited:
I’d agree presently. I wouldn’t play any midfielder as a “second forward” though. None are particularly effective in that role. (Cue the comments about the fact that job scores today).
Jobe scored from a very wide number 8 role though, not from the second forward position. And only scored because he ran half the length of the pitch without challenge - not exactly something you can attribute to tactics. I agree, we are better without a number 10 at all, Jobe and Ekwah with Neil sitting looks our best option.
If we're being honest Roberts did bugger all today and I'm not sure it was worth moving Ba to the 10 role. You can tell Ba is nowhere near as comfortable there
His (Ba's) off the ball movement from out wide is second to none, and is a great option to have opposite Clarke who can find him quite often. You negated all of these Ba traits by moving him, and like you said Roberts didn't do a thing.

Last edited:
Jobe scored from a very wide number 8 role though, not from the second forward position. And only scored because he ran half the length of the pitch without challenge - not exactly something you can attribute to tactics. I agree, we are better without a number 10 at all, Jobe and Ekwah with Neil sitting looks our best option.

His (Ba's) off the ball movement from out wide is second to none, and is a great option to have opposite Clarke who can find him quite often. You negated all of these Ba traits by moving him, and like you said Roberts didn't do a thing.
I think at times we scream out for two proper forwards. We’re almost asking one forward to be in two places in the box a lot of the time.

Ba -he’s much better on the wing than a number 10 .
Felt sorry for him today -he’s improving week on week -then Roberts ( clearly not fit yet ) walks straight back in and does nothing of note ?
I would have played Roberts as number 10 and said earn your place and left Ba out wide
Tin hat firmly secured and said from the safety of my sofa in a positive tone after a tremendous result !
HTL

That's a crazy way to look at it (you're not alone mind and it seems to a modern era thing). When putting an international side together for example they don't just go "right, we are going 4-4-2 so obviously the two strikers are the two who have scored the most goals, same with the wingers".

Roberts is a much better player and is the only real player we have who can carry the ball up the pitch and creates space for others.
Knows ^
Paddy no question

Last edited:
If we're being honest Roberts did bugger all today and I'm not sure it was worth moving Ba to the 10 role. You can tell Ba is nowhere near as comfortable there
Particularly first half we felt noticeably slower in the final 3rd and a lot of it was down to Ba being more central and Roberts wanting the ball out wide to then drift inside. Ba is much better at keeping things moving when he’s out wide.

What we're ba's stats compared to Roberts today? You seemed a bit obsessed with them last game.Not so important to you today i suppose, when magic Pat gets a great assist

It’s definitely a conundrum. Beale said in an interview that Ba prefers central, but I think he’s at his best when he’s hugging the touch line and giving fullbacks bother in transition.

On the other hand, Roberts has all the trappings of a midfield player (because of his close control) but he seems to prefer running in to the middle from wide when we have fixed possession. Neither of them are playing terribly, but neither are maximised right now.

I honestly don’t know what I’d pick next game. I’d probably start with both again since we had such a good performance today, but I suppose it depends on the type of opposition we face.

Edit: I just realised, this doesn’t take into account the fact I wanted Jobe rested, and then he comes on and bloody scores immediately! :lol:

Absolutely no idea what our best 11 is right now.

We have some excellent every game starters and overall some good 15 or 16 players.
Rotation and good subs to bring on is what's required rather than a best 11 ...... makes it harder for opposition to work out how to defend us.

We have some excellent every game starters and overall some good 15 or 16 players.
Rotation and good subs to bring on is what's required rather than a best 11 ...... makes it harder for opposition to work out how to defend us.
Yeah this is likely true. Sometimes you need Ba running at an isolated player, and sometimes you need Roberts unlocking a low block.

Back