Ba or Roberts

Roberts for me for the time being at least, pressure is on Ba to maintain standards of his one game purple patch with Roberts returning, but it's only good for us if we have competition for places.

Would have liked to seen Roberts against Dan Burn, or even Ba for that matter as his ten minutes cameo showed at the end

It depends on the game and the opposition for me.

The stats show Ba with 3 goals and 4 assists, and Roberts with 0 goals and 1 assist. But if its a tight game and we need to keep possesion and control it I would rather see Roberts on than Ba.

Both players have roles to play.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

At what game this season has Roberts been our best performer? I’d love you to enlighten me as to this.
He's consistently one of our best players. It's not Football Manager and I can't just click on his average rating this season or click on his rating each game.

Mackday Meldrew is usually a fair write up, though he doesn't provide one for each game.

He's wrote 9 Mackday Meldrew's where Roberts has started this season. Roberts has been best player twice and joint second best player three times. So more than 50% of the time, he's been amongst our very top performers.

It's a small sample size and one mans opinion.

best player:

joint 2nd best player:

A couple of snippets from the Echo rating our players mid season:

11. PATRICK ROBERTS​

A campaign that isn’t easy to judge. Continues to torment opposition defenders and open up the pitch for Sunderland. Goals and assists have thus far proved elusive, however, even if the latter has clearly not been helped by the lack of settled striker in the box to find. A key player moving forward and deserved his new contract ahead of a big 2024. B

17. PATRICK ROBERTS​

Roberts' season so far is tricky to assess, with one goal contribution clearly less than he and his side would like. Yet Mowbray has also noted that he is near the very top of the Championship for 'second assists', demonstrating that he is involved in the bulk of Sunderland's attacking play. He picked up yet another of these on Saturday, his excellent cross headed across goal by Hume and forcing the crucial own goal. And he remains as good a player to watch as Sunderland have had this century. 7.5

I'm not sure what you want from me and you clearly have an agenda or a blindspot when it comes to Roberts.

To state that:

Delusional mate. Roberts has been awful all season and everyone on here’s telling you the same thing

is quite clearly complete and utter bollocks.

Roberts usually gets us up the pitch and holds the ball well, he's not had a great season for goals/assists but is providing a lot of key passes every game according to the stats (I take that to be the 2nd assists Mowbray spoke of). Ba is capable of moments of magic but equally capable of being anonymous.
For me Roberts would start most games with Ba coming on and getting 20-30 minutes against tired legs, doesn't always mean taking Roberts off as he could move to 10 quite easily.

I think he's struggled this season as there are not many players on his wavelength - last season Roberts and Diallo were almost telepathic down the right and caused all sorts of problems for defenders, we don't have a 10 or false 9 capable of playing like that now so he's left isolated/frustrated a lot.

He's consistently one of our best players. It's not Football Manager and I can't just click on his average rating this season or click on his rating each game.

Mackday Meldrew is usually a fair write up, though he doesn't provide one for each game.

He's wrote 9 Mackday Meldrew's where Roberts has started this season. Roberts has been best player twice and joint second best player three times. So more than 50% of the time, he's been amongst our very top performers.

It's a small sample size and one mans opinion.

best player:

joint 2nd best player:

A couple of snippets from the Echo rating our players mid season:

11. PATRICK ROBERTS​

A campaign that isn’t easy to judge. Continues to torment opposition defenders and open up the pitch for Sunderland. Goals and assists have thus far proved elusive, however, even if the latter has clearly not been helped by the lack of settled striker in the box to find. A key player moving forward and deserved his new contract ahead of a big 2024. B

17. PATRICK ROBERTS​

Roberts' season so far is tricky to assess, with one goal contribution clearly less than he and his side would like. Yet Mowbray has also noted that he is near the very top of the Championship for 'second assists', demonstrating that he is involved in the bulk of Sunderland's attacking play. He picked up yet another of these on Saturday, his excellent cross headed across goal by Hume and forcing the crucial own goal. And he remains as good a player to watch as Sunderland have had this century. 7.5

I'm not sure what you want from me and you clearly have an agenda or a blindspot when it comes to Roberts.

To state that:

is quite clearly complete and utter bollocks.
That’s one guys opinion. Good on him. Doesn’t mean that Roberts has been any good at all. Any statistic you look up will demonstrate his massive underperformance. But yes let’s go with Mackday meldrew ratings as that’s the very bottom of the barrel that you are scraping.

The fact you had to resort to that and couldn’t find a single statistical measure to support your argument proves my point exactly that he’s struggling massively this season.

I’m not criticising Roberts, some of it is done to mowbrays system too which stifles both him and our striker somewhat (can’t really judge him under Beale as he’s barely featured) but it frankly isn’t working as is, and that’s not really disputable. 0 goals 1 assist (which should have been an own goal and therefore not an assist) is absolutely unacceptable as a return.
Roberts usually gets us up the pitch and holds the ball well, he's not had a great season for goals/assists but is providing a lot of key passes every game according to the stats (I take that to be the 2nd assists Mowbray spoke of). Ba is capable of moments of magic but equally capable of being anonymous.
For me Roberts would start most games with Ba coming on and getting 20-30 minutes against tired legs, doesn't always mean taking Roberts off as he could move to 10 quite easily.

I think he's struggled this season as there are not many players on his wavelength - last season Roberts and Diallo were almost telepathic down the right and caused all sorts of problems for defenders, we don't have a 10 or false 9 capable of playing like that now so he's left isolated/frustrated a lot.
Playing Roberts as a 10 is something we’ve tried before and possibly the worst suggestion I’ve ever seen on the SMB. Patterson would be more effective there tbh

Last edited:
Anybody who says they prefer ba to Roberts knows fuck all about football or is on a wind up. There’s no comparison between the two players, now in time ba may get better / more consistent, but atm you have the best the club has got in paddy, and then you’ve got ba.

Statistically you could argue there is a comparison tbf. There's no getting away with the fact Ba is producing far better numbers when it comes to goals and assists than Roberts is, also playing less minutes than Roberts over the course of this season.

Roberts is a wonderful player to watch but you could argue he has fuck all end product

That’s one guys opinion. Good on him. Doesn’t mean that Roberts has been any good at all. Any statistic you look up will demonstrate his massive underperformance. But yes let’s go with Mackday meldrew ratings as that’s the very bottom of the barrel that you are scraping.

The fact you had to resort to that and couldn’t find a single statistical measure to support your argument proves my point exactly that he’s struggling massively this season.

I’m not criticising Roberts, some of it is done to mowbrays system too which stifles both him and our striker somewhat (can’t really judge him under Beale as he’s barely featured) but it frankly isn’t working as is, and that’s not really disputable. 0 goals 1 assist (which should have been an own goal and therefore not an assist) is absolutely unacceptable as a return.

Playing Roberts as a 10 is something we’ve tried before and possibly the worst suggestion I’ve ever seen on the SMB. Patterson would be more effective there tbh
Not criticising Roberts? You have called him useless and cannot even admit his assist was an assist! You definitely have an agenda here

Not criticising Roberts? You have called him useless and cannot even admit his assist was an assist! You definitely have an agenda here
Calling a pot a pot isn’t having an agenda. Not sure you understand civil discussion. Unfortunately for you, I just don’t think Roberts is any good at all, and all of the statistics, apart from the Mackday Meldrew official rating system, seem to back me up. Feel free to drop provide some counter examples to reinforce your debate
He's a statman^^^^^
It’s pretty easy to google these things

Calling a pot a pot isn’t having an agenda. Not sure you understand civil discussion. Unfortunately for you, I just don’t think Roberts is any good at all, and all of the statistics, apart from the Mackday Meldrew official rating system, seem to back me up. Feel free to drop provide some counter examples to reinforce your debate

It’s pretty easy to google these things
So ,not criticising someone is calling someone 'useless', and now' no good at all'.Look back at post 186. Not that I am a statman like yourself, but it'll make some interesting reading for you.

I gave you demonstrative statistical measurements days ago:

You don't have an agenda against him, but you think playing him centrally is the worst suggestion you've ever seen on the SMB and think Patterson would do a better job....... right....

You're either a massive WUM or a complete and utter moron. I strongly suspect the latter.

Back