Away Travel - Cheap Train Ticket Release Dates

Looks like the earliest train from London gets into Rotherham for 11:57...unless anyone else has seen any different?
www.trainsplit.com is showing the same as well.

Megabus from London 1am gets you to Sheffield at 5am for under a tenner, breakfast at 24 hour McDonalds then train over Rotherham for mid morning?

Nothing suitable on Nat Express Coaches

Last edited:

Looks like the earliest train from London gets into Rotherham for 11:57...unless anyone else has seen any different?

Similar timing to the first Southbound train from Edin. on a Sunday..arr. Rotherham 12;56...So travelling down Saturday and stopping over..booked digs a couple months back for a very reasonable £28...brekky another fiver..

Similar timing to the first Southbound train from Edin. on a Sunday..arr. Rotherham 12;56...So travelling down Saturday and stopping over..booked digs a couple months back for a very reasonable £28...brekky another fiver..

Booked a cheap B'n'B in Sheffield way back in June last year when the fixtures were released and I saw Rotherham United away last match.

Travelling up on the Saturday and back on the Monday.

The way the league table is shaping up......it could be some weekend :cool:

£28 per night.....my kind of "digs". Dont need anything poncey for a football away day, eh? :D;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Transpennine Express have just announced a £1 sale on selected routes...for travel from 27th Feb, to May 16th...Just go to the TPE website and click on "£1 sale"...

Transpennine Express have just announced a £1 sale on selected routes...for travel from 27th Feb, to May 16th...Just go to the TPE website and click on "£1 sale"...
Are you thinking for Rotherham

searched several dates, nee sale like!

Last edited:
Are you thinking for Rotherham

searched several dates, nee sale like!

You're right..no £1 seats available for the R/ham w/e...unfortunately....(booked 2 advance returns with LNER a few weeks back £24;80p each)….but have saved a few pound with the TPE sale for the Accrington home game (25/4)..2 returns from Edin..£2 each..!!!.

You're right..no £1 seats available for the R/ham w/e...unfortunately....(booked 2 advance returns with LNER a few weeks back £24;80p each)….but have saved a few pound with the TPE sale for the Accrington home game (25/4)..2 returns from Edin..£2 each..!!!.
Did well there then. Not much was about for Saturdays
Wasn’t aware TPE went all the way up the east coast as far as Waverley

Last edited:
They just introduced it this year, Liverpool to Edinburgh (via Manchester, Leeds, York and Newcastle) using their new Nova1 5 Carriage Trains built by Hitachi. 👍👍

Cheaper (advance) tickets than LNER/Cross-Country too...but more prone to service cancellations...Stopped overnight at my cousins after the match, arrived at Central this morning to get my booked TPE 8;21 train back to Edin,..service was cancelled, and the 9;21 TPE northbound was also a non-runner...eventually told by station staff that TPE tickets were being accepted on the 10;35 Cross-Country...so got back up eventually....just as well that I'd taken the whole day off graft..usually get back on the tools by mid-morning after a mid-week match....

Cheaper (advance) tickets than LNER/Cross-Country too...but more prone to service cancellations...Stopped overnight at my cousins after the match, arrived at Central this morning to get my booked TPE 8;21 train back to Edin,..service was cancelled, and the 9;21 TPE northbound was also a non-runner...eventually told by station staff that TPE tickets were being accepted on the 10;35 Cross-Country...so got back up eventually....just as well that I'd taken the whole day off graft..usually get back on the tools by mid-morning after a mid-week match....
I just jump on the next available train and have a chat with the train manager. Always works, regardless of operator

Back