Away Travel - Cheap Train Ticket Release Dates

You should never use trainline as they rip you off with their fees and charges. I use them to check timetables and itineraries before booking on the appropriate train company website.
Really? Found them to be reasonable, and althou sometimes you dont get seat res, tickets are cheap enough? - then theres always a unreserved seating coach on most trains.

However that said, I did book via LNER app for Lincoln in October. Each to their own

Really? Found them to be reasonable, and althou sometimes you dont get seat res, tickets are cheap enough? - then theres always a unreserved seating coach on most trains.

However that said, I did book via LNER app for Lincoln in October. Each to their own
I always book our train tickets through Transpennine Express as get Nectar Points, which pay for our LNER journeys. Book direct with LNER as get 25% discount when 3 or more travel

Bit late....but Transpennine Express Trains have a Black Friday Sale which ends at midnight tonight...25% off Advance Purchase Tickets...and can be used in conjunction with railcards...so a double saving...valid until March 30th.

You should never use trainline as they rip you off with their fees and charges. I use them to check timetables and itineraries before booking on the appropriate train company website.
Sorry but trainline don’t rip you off..on Sunday.I booked a trip to London in January and Trainline was 20 quid cheaper than LNER....you can also print your tickets on line with Trainline,something you can’t do with LNER....also I got allocated seating with Trainline

Last edited by a moderator:
Train tkts just booked for Tranmere away January 28th.....great price paid for the return journey.

Travelodge booked months ago in Liverpool City Centre (don't need an expensive, poncey hotel with a Jacuzzi for a football away day - cheap 'n' cheerful for me).

Looking forward to this one.....cracking away day this and under the Birkenhead floodlights too:cool:

Propper away this, unlike MK Dons we play earlier in the month...plastic club in a plastic stadium.

Prenton Park always been one of my favourite football grounds.

Train tkts just booked for Tranmere away January 28th.....great price paid for the return journey.

Travelodge booked months ago in Liverpool City Centre (don't need an expensive, poncey hotel with a Jacuzzi for a football away day - cheap 'n' cheerful for me).

Looking forward to this one.....cracking away day this and under the Birkenhead floodlights too:cool:

Propper away this, unlike MK Dons we play earlier in the month...plastic club in a plastic stadium.

Prenton Park always been one of my favourite football grounds.

Superb away end as it feels you are looking vertically down at the goal.
Agree with you a great away ground and plenty of free street parking.

Sorry but trainline don’t rip you off..on Sunday.I booked a trip to London in January and Trainline was 20 quid cheaper than LNER....you can also print your tickets on line with Trainline,something you can’t do with LNER....also I got allocated seating with Trainline
You can download tickets to your phone and print them on LNER website plus can usually choose your seat as opposed to being allocated one. No booking fees either.

I’m guessing that’ll be because the ‘advance single tickets’ hadn’t been released at that point. With the advance single tickets you’re automatically allocated a reserved seat as it’s part of the ticket. Also if you find the same ticket cheaper anywhere else LNER will refund the difference.
You get nectar points with LNER as well mate
Yeah. I use Transpennine as you can also get cashback on all the train tickets. LNER only give u nectar points on LNER trains whereas transpennine give them on all train bookings. Train bookings are very complicated, but there’s loads of good deals out there.

Last edited:
I’m guessing that’ll be because the ‘advance single tickets’ hadn’t been released at that point. With the advance single tickets you’re automatically allocated a reserved seat as it’s part of the ticket. Also if you find the same ticket cheaper anywhere else LNER will refund the difference.

Yeah. I use Transpennine as you can also get cashback on all the train tickets. LNER only give u nectar points on LNER trains whereas transpennine give them on all train bookings. Train bookings are very complicated, but there’s loads of good deals out there.
I used TPE last week,Durham to Manchester train was delayed by over 30 mins so I logged a claim...brilliant service as it was sorted within 24 hrs...How do you get cash back on TPE?
You can download tickets to your phone and print them on LNER website plus can usually choose your seat as opposed to being allocated one. No booking fees either.
I didnt know you could print the tickets from LNER will bear that in mind....printing them at station IVe found to be a nightmare at Durham....the ticket machines are so temperamental and the ticket office can no longer print them out...recently I’d booked tickets and I had to try 3 different machines and speak to the ticket office guy took neraly 30 mins to sort,thankfully it was a couple of days prior to travelling but had it been on the day I could have easily missed the train

I used TPE last week,Durham to Manchester train was delayed by over 30 mins so I logged a claim...brilliant service as it was sorted within 24 hrs...How do you get cash back on TPE?

Through top cashback. I get 4.2% on TPE train tickets and 1.05% on all other train companies tickets. (LNER, Cross Country etc.) it doesn’t seem much, but over the course of the season I get a tidy sum from it.

friendly reminder;

Blackpool 14 March Away - tickets out anytime soon
Southend 28 March Away - tickets due out around 3 January

our last 4 games vs Southend, AFC Wimb, Burton and Rotherham should be all realised in the next 4 weeks

Southend (Now)
AFC Wimb (16th Jan)
Burton (24 Jan)
Rotherham (8 Feb)

Back