Austrailian Same Sex Marriage Vote (you thought Brexit was bad?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been in touch with my cousin from Austrailia. She's supporting the introduction of same-sex marriage via a national "survey". It was originally meant to be a ballot box referendum or plebicite, however, has instead turned into a postal survey due to complications about referenda being compulsory to vote in and a formal plebecite being too expensive.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/08/australian-same-sex-marriage-vote-everything-you-need-to-know/

The survey itself looks costly, so why can't they just have an online survey as it's not a formal election?

The point is they seem to be making a bigger arse of it than we did with the Brexit vote.

I note the debate itself looking elsewhere is covering all the bases of whether religious groups should be free of pressure to marry same sex couples. However, the question is a simple "Do you support same sex marriage?"
Do women have the vote in Australia?

Neither for nor against. Don't really see the point in it.

that is the point... :)

it will make absolutely no difference to anyone apart from those from the gay community who might want to get married, just like it's made no difference to any other country it's been legalised.

In New Zealand, it's called sime six merriage.
Is it

Do women have the vote in Australia?
Think you'll find oz women were entitled to vote earlier than british women.

Just been in touch with my cousin from Austrailia. She's supporting the introduction of same-sex marriage via a national "survey". It was originally meant to be a ballot box referendum or plebicite, however, has instead turned into a postal survey due to complications about referenda being compulsory to vote in and a formal plebecite being too expensive.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/08/australian-same-sex-marriage-vote-everything-you-need-to-know/

The survey itself looks costly, so why can't they just have an online survey as it's not a formal election?

The point is they seem to be making a bigger arse of it than we did with the Brexit vote.

I note the debate itself looking elsewhere is covering all the bases of whether religious groups should be free of pressure to marry same sex couples. However, the question is a simple "Do you support same sex marriage?"
So on the basis of a 10 minute phone call with someone you have come to the above conclusions.
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Yes. It was set up as an advisory referendum to placate some tories who'd fled to ukip. It was seen as being something that would never be a yes so, not much effort went into the remain campaign.

By not all politicians taking it seriously, we are left carrying the shit can for something that should never have happened: us and future generations.
In a nutshell!

Could you explain the "arse" we made of the brexit vote?

£350 million for the NHS for starters. Debunked by Vote Leave's Director of Communications, who went on to say leaving the EU would be a disaster.

We don;t even seem to have a plan for post-Brexit Britian, because no-one expected Vote Leave to win. The immigration concerns of the UK were underestimated and the £350 million a year claim for the NHS tipped the balance of the vote.

I agree the immigration issue needs to be sorted, but this complete withdrawal from the EU has consequences we don't yet fully comprehend. Many British voters didn;t even look up what the EU was until after the referendum.

So on the basis of a 10 minute phone call with someone you have come to the above conclusions.
:lol::lol::lol:

A bit more than 10 minutes conversation to be fair. I took time to look the issue up too.

£350 million for the NHS for starters. Debunked by Vote Leave's Director of Communications, who went on to say leaving the EU would be a disaster.

We don;t even seem to have a plan for post-Brexit Britian, because no-one expected Vote Leave to win. The immigration concerns of the UK were underestimated and the £350 million a year claim for the NHS tipped the balance of the vote.

I agree the immigration issue needs to be sorted, but this complete withdrawal from the EU has consequences we don't yet fully comprehend. Many British voters didn;t even look up what the EU was until after the referendum.

A bit more than 10 minutes conversation to be fair. I took time to look the issue up too.
Sorry but those people that I know who voted out were happy to accept whatever consequences it brings, that doesn't mean we made an arse of it.

Sydney probably more. Ultimately, it's the country that brought us both Priscilla Queen of the Desert and Bouncer's Dream and has a whole state called Queensland. Gayest county going!
I helped the actor playing Priscilla in this advert move house. Canny bloke, I worked with his husband.

I helped the actor playing Priscilla in this advert move house. Canny bloke, I worked with his husband.
Probably should have added the link.:oops:

Last edited:
Sorry but those people that I know who voted out were happy to accept whatever consequences it brings, that doesn't mean we made an arse of it.

You misunderstand.

The voters themselves didn't make an arse of it. The campaigns of both sides did by either not explaining matters in a clear, unequivocal, succinct manner, at times resorting to unsubstantiated untruths.

That was demonstrated after the fact by people's need to look up what the EU was after the fact. Alot of people didn't understand fully what they were voting for, something our European neighbours found strange.

We are not as politically engaged as a country, as our European neighbours.

As long as it doesn't harm others let people do as they please, yes, as far as I am concerned. It is no credit to religion that some of us are so heavenly minded as to be of no earthly use. That's what it's all about, religious bigotry.

Sorry but those people that I know who voted out were happy to accept whatever consequences it brings

I think that is probably correct for a lot of leave voters sadly. much tighter controls on foreigners coming here at absolutely any economic cost to the country.

I'm actually going to a same sex wedding next year it's the wife's mate from school. So I vote yes... each to there own I say it's 2017 ffs..
They're f***ing great. Like a hetero wedding party but with added celebration because recent generations couldn't do it.

Last edited:
I still remember watching that when it first aired wondering had my mam laced my lunch with magic mushrooms.

Fun fact about Neighbours - whenever an actor from the cast was up for contract renewal and asking for a pay rise, the writers would be told to have their character get into a car crash and a coma, from which they may or may not recover. The actor usually caved in and accepted whatever they'd been offered.

Then one day Bouncer was injured in a car crash and the audience was left in suspense as to whether he'd recover. I wondered "how much did the dog ask for??"

Reactions: PTR
Fun fact about Neighbours - whenever an actor from the cast was up for contract renewal and asking for a pay rise, the writers would be told to have their character get into a car crash and a coma, from which they may or may not recover. The actor usually caved in and accepted whatever they'd been offered.

Then one day Bouncer was injured in a car crash and the audience was left in suspense as to whether he'd recover. I wondered "how much did the dog ask for??"

He got it.

Logon or register to see this image

If you vote yes to same sex marriage, the economy will go into recession, 600,000 people will lose their jobs, and migrants will swept off the street and sent home.

Forecast to be net £340million contribution within 4 years. People looking to the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back