Austrailian Same Sex Marriage Vote (you thought Brexit was bad?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been in touch with my cousin from Austrailia. She's supporting the introduction of same-sex marriage via a national "survey". It was originally meant to be a ballot box referendum or plebicite, however, has instead turned into a postal survey due to complications about referenda being compulsory to vote in and a formal plebecite being too expensive.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/08/australian-same-sex-marriage-vote-everything-you-need-to-know/

The survey itself looks costly, so why can't they just have an online survey as it's not a formal election?

The point is they seem to be making a bigger arse of it than we did with the Brexit vote.

I note the debate itself looking elsewhere is covering all the bases of whether religious groups should be free of pressure to marry same sex couples. However, the question is a simple "Do you support same sex marriage?"

Can't see the Brexit link at all.
I can see that it's a massive distraction from all sorts of other stuff that's going on. That's all Brexit was meant to be but it backfired.
I don't agree with having a referendum on any subject. As feckless as they are, we pay politicians to do a job and make decisions for the good of the country. If we don't agree they are doing a good enough job, we vote them out.
Far from perfect but by the time it's all done and dusted, Brexit will have dominated the political landscape for well over a decade.
I love Australia as a country and I'm for same sex marriage however I think the time, money and bile expended is far out of proportion to the question at hand.

I can see that it's a massive distraction from all sorts of other stuff that's going on. That's all Brexit was meant to be but it backfired.
I don't agree with having a referendum on any subject. As feckless as they are, we pay politicians to do a job and make decisions for the good of the country. If we don't agree they are doing a good enough job, we vote them out.
Far from perfect but by the time it's all done and dusted, Brexit will have dominated the political landscape for well over a decade.
I love Australia as a country and I'm for same sex marriage however I think the time, money and bile expended is far out of proportion to the question at hand.

We had some politicians doing the brexit hokey cokey in the run up to the vote.

Just been in touch with my cousin from Austrailia. She's supporting the introduction of same-sex marriage via a national "survey". It was originally meant to be a ballot box referendum or plebicite, however, has instead turned into a postal survey due to complications about referenda being compulsory to vote in and a formal plebecite being too expensive.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2017/08/australian-same-sex-marriage-vote-everything-you-need-to-know/

The survey itself looks costly, so why can't they just have an online survey as it's not a formal election?

The point is they seem to be making a bigger arse of it than we did with the Brexit vote.

I note the debate itself looking elsewhere is covering all the bases of whether religious groups should be free of pressure to marry same sex couples. However, the question is a simple "Do you support same sex marriage?"
Could you explain the "arse" we made of the brexit vote?

Could you explain the "arse" we made of the brexit vote?
Yes. It was set up as an advisory referendum to placate some tories who'd fled to ukip. It was seen as being something that would never be a yes so, not much effort went into the remain campaign.

By not all politicians taking it seriously, we are left carrying the shit can for something that should never have happened: us and future generations.

The whole thing is a total farce being used as a means to delay the inevitable. If "yes" wins it won't even guarantee that they'll legalize same sex marriage, just that they'll have a debate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back