Aurora Borealis from County Durham 24/1/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

the odd cloudage but not too bad, still waiting for the missus to come in like, taking liberties now like, doesnt she know i have work in the morning :lol:

the odd cloudage but not too bad, still waiting for the missus to come in like, taking liberties now like, doesnt she know i have work in the morning :lol:

Where's the best place to go to see it? Bearing in mind im in Hendon :neutral:

I'm off out in about 30 minutes, but there will be too much light pollution where I am.

If this is correct, the storm will occur from midnight to 1am.

The sat24 prediction seems to indicate this is the time skies will clear over the NE. There may still be enough cloud in the north to spoil that horizon, but if the display is strong enough then you should see something.

Where's the best place to go to see it? Bearing in mind im in Hendon :neutral:

Do you have transport? If so try bombing up the A19 to the Northumberland coast . You need to be away from the light pollution.

Last edited:
If this is correct, the storm will occur from midnight to 1am.

Do you have transport? If so try bombing up the A19 to the Northumberland coast . You need to be away from the light pollution.

Aye, do i have to be on the coast? I might head along the A69 towards hexham

Aye, do i have to be on the coast? I might head along the A69 towards hexham

No, but the cloud seems to be moving up the centre of the country so I would say it's your best chance.

If heading up the A69, I would recommend Brocolitia car park on Hadrian's wall.

our lass in in bed.. sitting here in my kegs.. is it worth me putting my jeans back on?

anyone heading north? Clear sky over Cullercoats..

edit: not suggesting you will be able to see the Aurora in Cullercoats mind.. :lol: but wouldn;t mind tagging along if anyone is heading my side of the water

Last edited by a moderator:
Where would you recommend up the coast then smoker lad? I'm gonna head up. I'm not taking pictures, just want to see it

just been out, a few to many clouds for my liking, saw bot all......again, f***ing sick of chasing the bastard aurora now like, the money iv'e spent on petrol i couldv'e f***ing flown to iceland :lol:

from tonight anyway..
Logon or register to see this image

I headed up the A19. Got to newbiggin and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Got up to somewhere past amble and couldn't see a f***ing thing. Too many clouds.

Just got in, me and a mate got stopped by the coppers while near the shell dept. in Jarrow.

Police "Excuse me, can I just ask what you are doing this time of night"

Me "I'm doing some night photography"

Police "Isn't this a strange time to be doing that"

Me "That's when you do night photography, at night"

The two coppers then got out and explained that there was a lot of incidents of people taking pictures of the shell depo.. (I'm sure he was talking bullshit, but causing an issue would not have helped).

At this point they took down our addresses and asked for ID.

I opened my wallet and the first thing that popped out was my season ticket card lol.. I hoped to god he was not a mag.

After that we went on our merry way.

It's fair enough that they asked what we were up to as it is strange for a couple of blokes to be wandering around at 1:30am, but asking for our addresses and ID was too much.

Just got in, me and a mate got stopped by the coppers while near the shell dept. in Jarrow.

Police "Excuse me, can I just ask what you are doing this time of night"

Me "I'm doing some night photography"

Police "Isn't this a strange time to be doing that"

Me "That's when you do night photography, at night"

The two coppers then got out and explained that there was a lot of incidents of people taking pictures of the shell depo.. (I'm sure he was talking bullshit, but causing an issue would not have helped).

At this point they took down our addresses and asked for ID.

I opened my wallet and the first thing that popped out was my season ticket card lol.. I hoped to god he was not a mag.

After that we went on our merry way.

It's fair enough that they asked what we were up to as it is strange for a couple of blokes to be wandering around at 1:30am, but asking for our addresses and ID was too much.

Your too young to remember this then?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-the-ira-malcolm-pithers-reports-1490672.html

In February this year, 1993 the IRA claimed responsibility for bombing a gasometer in Warrington, Cheshire, and a subsequent bomb attack in the town's shopping centre which led to the deaths of two children.

In April, an oil storage tank at the Esso terminal in North Shields, Tyne and Wear, was targeted by terrorists who planted an incendiary device. The IRA also claimed responsibility for planting 12 incendiary devices in the Metro Shopping Centre in Gateshead.

Witnesses to Tuesday night's explosion said the sky was lit up for more than two hours. Police evacuated houses and flats in seven streets near the gasworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back