Aurora Borealis from County Durham 24/1/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Striker
Anyone else see them last night?

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Much brighter than last time I saw them in January, and blue/purple colours obvious to the naked eye, but the clouds ruined it.

First shot using Tokina 11-16/f2.8, second shot using Samyang 14mm/f2.8, EOS30D at ISO1250. Both sharp lenses wide open so good for aurora bagging imo.

Nice. Thought this was an old thread at first

Great colour, makes a change from the usual green

Good shots Smoker, you lucky sod !!;)

Cheers but not sure I would describe it as lucky. Hours of preparation, fruitless trips and sleep deprivation have gone into my handful of OK-ish aurora pics!

On the plus side, I am away to Iceland later this year so hopefully that will require less effort.

Now that's a place I would like to visit

Fantastic place and the ISK is weak right now.

The main expense is car hire - double what you'd pay in this country for the same period and you need to shell out for a 4x4 if you travel in winter or go into the interior. Last time we went as a group of seven and hired a Hiace which kept costs down.

Fantastic place and the ISK is weak right now.

The main expense is car hire - double what you'd pay in this country for the same period and you need to shell out for a 4x4 if you travel in winter or go into the interior. Last time we went as a group of seven and hired a Hiace which kept costs down.

Is there much hiking to do to get to locations once parked up. Unfortunately I can't walk very far due to a serious back injury.

Is there much hiking to do to get to locations once parked up. Unfortunately I can't walk very far due to a serious back injury.

Depends what you want to see, but most the main tourist sites there is very little walking from car park to attraction. We are taking a two year old with us and I can't see her being up for hiking up Hekla.

superb shots mate, the kp index is around 6 for tonight so hopefully we might get a repeat performance.

Lovely photos mate. It's stuff like this which makes me want to get into photography.

Looks like the storm is subsiding but I'll be out if it's active again. Over Edmundbyers/Blanchland way as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back