Atlantis

Discussion in 'SMB' started by naughtynose, Mar 13, 2019.

1. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

As I said in my original post... imo, myths are just stories used to pass down ideas. Atlantis, imo, is just a cautionary tale of what happens to societies that fail to protect themselves from [insert villain of choice here].

I am interested in where you got this information though. You sound like you've either done your research or have stumbled onto a website worth knowing about. I like to learn.

2. Ilios

Ilios Winger

My undergraduate degree was in Classics and Philosophy, and I have an MA in Roman Archaeology & Historiography.

I could recommend loads of books (although I'm not at home to access my laptop), and it depends what you want to read about. But there is a book by Kathryn Morgan, a Classics professor from (I think) UCLA called, 'Myth and Philosophy from the Presocratics to Plato'. But there are loads of other books on Plato.

bigmarlon likes this.
  3. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

A list of philosophy books would be nice. :p

Not now though, finish work first. I've just started reading Jung, Nietzsche and Piaget but fear I may have dove in at the deep end. I'm more of a Physics bloke myself.

4. Ilios

Ilios Winger

It depends what you want to get out of it really. Philosophy is a massively broad subject - I tended to be interested in ethics, philosophy of religion, ontology and especially the most important thing that underpins all of it, and everything we ever think, is epistemology - I think everybody in the world should be educated in epistemology - because it changes the way you think, it makes you think like a philosopher. So I'd start with an intrduction to philosophy/epistemology, and I could point you in that direction. You may well be very familiar already, so don't take offence if I'm stating the obvious!

As an aside, you might appreciate this as somebody who likes physics/maths - a book called 'innumeracy', by mathematician John Allen Paulos. It is a short, fun book that I really enjoyed, which takes a look at how misunderstandings of maths leads to errors in logical reasoning, statistics, fraud, conspiracy thinking etc. Good fun.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. Yankee Mackem

Yankee Mackem Winger

There was. It was called Great Britain.

6. ouro

ouro Striker

Climate change IIRC. Should have put their stuff in different coloured bins to prevent it.

pillars of hercules likes this.
  7. Way way back :lol:

8. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Cheers mate, will do.

9. I've did a lot of research into Atlantis and own books written by Herodotus, Plato and Aristotle. I must admit though I had to Google some of those words :lol:. Never too old to be educated :D.

10. Laeotaekhun

Laeotaekhun Striker

Good track by the Shads in the 60s.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Kid Galahad likes this.
  11. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a link between Ancient Egypt and South America when you look at the striking similarities between the cultures. From having almost identical gods and burial rituals to building pyramids, there's so much evidence that points towards a link.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kid Galahad likes this.
  12. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Sumerian
    [​IMG]

Bolivian
    [​IMG]

13. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

Bolivian
    [​IMG]

Assyrian
    [​IMG]

14. I cant believe that a ship sailing off southern Spain wouldn't have been blown off course and taken to the Americas by the prevailing wind and currents. Many times for that matter. An emply rowing boat off the Canary islands would probably end up in the Caribbean, so a fully manned ship would have no problem.

bigmarlon likes this.
  15. bigmarlon

bigmarlon Midfield

And yet we're told it never happened. Evidence points to the contrary imo.

16. Kid Galahad

Kid Galahad Striker

How big were the ships then though and could they carry the provisions needed to survive it? There's certainly some sort of link mind, interesting stuff like love owt like this me!

17. The Phoenicians had cargo ships that could hold up to 450 tonnes and they travelled as far as Britain and the west coast of Africa. It takes an average of 20 days to sail from the Canaries to the West Indies on a moderately sized sailing yacht so I cant see why a fully provisioned ship couldnt get there easily if blown off coarse.

18. Kid Galahad

Kid Galahad Striker

Fair enough, always thought they were small

19. Pants

Pants Winger

Of course it was real. Indiana Jones found it.

[​IMG]

20. I think a lot of them were and most just designed for the Med but if they could get to Cornwall I'm sure they could go even further if they were pushed.