Aston Villa Splashing the Cash

Wait so you’re already better than all those teams but your having to making wholesale changes as your players aren’t good enough??
Understandable as you only finished 5th in championship!

So you’re signings so far have made you better than those teams?
Bearing in mind 2 of the 3 biggest signings Mings & Targett couldn’t get a game for 2 of those teams you’ve listed.
The forward has an average record in Belgium - worse than Mitrovic has over there
Maybe you mean it’s the lad from Birmingham who has made you better then all them :lol:
@Cridge still thinks santa is real

As much as Villa fans who come on to this board often seem like absolute pricks, I don't fully get all the negatively in this thread.

As a couple of said there are two examples of clubs being promoted and spending what seems like ridiculous amounts of money - Wolves and Fulham

Those two clubs outcomes are almost polar opposites but they both had to put up with spending what the current costs are for players in 2019. You can't get away with just spending 2 million on a player anymore unless you want to be a Huddersfield and get absolutely battered.

Villa appear to have done enough so far that they have a good chance of not being as shit as at least 3 other teams next season.

It's pretty laughable to suggest they will be better than wolves but they shouldn't be a walkover

It's not about how much you spend, it's about what you spend it on and what you can get from your spends.
Man Utd spend a fortune and gained little for their spend, on the pitch, other than a lot of turmoil, it seems.
Fulham went spend crazy and got relegated.
Huddersfield had a go at spending big and got relegated.

Ashley might be a careful and shrewd operator to the point of many fans believing he's a devil or a scrooge or both...but we still hold our own.

It'll be interesting to see how the big spenders fare over a few years...outside of the obvious elites that appear to be able and allowed to spend what they want out of thin air, it seems.

We've been out of the PL 3 seasons since it started. Why shouldn't we stay in it given our commitment to improving the squad? We're better than at least half a dozen teams already and our spending hasn't finished.

Wolves on the other hand have been there a paltry 4 seasons since 1992 & in 2 of those they were relegated. Furthermore, out of the last 40 years, we've finished above them 38 times.

It is not deluded to think we will survive or that we will overtake Wolves again at some point in the very near future. In fact, you are deluded if you think otherwise.

That's a barmy thing to say about a team who finished 5th in The Championship and then signing players who no-one has a clue whether they can perform at the required level.

The standard in the Premiership is a lot higher than most people imagine so clubs really do have to spend big to be in with a shout. Or as big as they can without risking ruin if relegated like Burnley do.
Villa are doing the right thing even at a risk, but there again they are supported by the tories and our royals so they'll never be skint ;)

We don't have the players you prat - That's why we're going wholesale. Do you think the owners are throwing millions away for the sake of it?

£30 million has been spent on re-signing loan players. £22 million has been spent signing a striker to replace a loan player. £14 million has been spent bringing a left back in when the only LB we have is dire. £15 million has been spent bringing a defensive midfielder in to replace the ageing Whelan & Jedinak who were released by Stoke & Palace respectively.

Of course I'll win the our fans are more local war. As you say, you have no fans so where do Brummies go to watch football.

Yes - You're on a Sunderland forum but you are the one who hijacked a Villa thread. Hope you got your daily Villa fix?

No need to resort to name calling. Seem to be a little nervou this early in pre season. If you have no players capable of making the step up it smacks of bad planning. Even mags managed to bore there way into staying up with reletively few changes. Huddersfield (allbeit for one season only) didn't change massively on promotion, neither did Wolves or Bournemouth. If this fails Villa will be in serious trouble imo not learning lessoons of the past.

The thing is they've spent near £100 million on players I've never even heard of - Mings aside of course.

The step up from the Championship to the PL is pretty big and I dont think they've done that good a business. If the CF they signed doesn't make the step up I think they'll struggle in all honesty - mid table clubs like Bournemouth, Burnley and Palace all have too much to be in fear of the drop imo.

I would say the 3 teams coming up are the weakest in many a year - the only 2 sides who I could see being in danger are Brighton/Newcastle but even then I think both have enough to stay up above Sheff Utd/Norwich/Villa.

Last edited:
Wait so you’re already better than all those teams but your having to making wholesale changes as your players aren’t good enough??
Understandable as you only finished 5th in championship!

So you’re signings so far have made you better than those teams?
Bearing in mind 2 of the 3 biggest signings Mings & Targett couldn’t get a game for 2 of those teams you’ve listed.
The forward has an average record in Belgium - worse than Mitrovic has over there
Maybe you mean it’s the lad from Birmingham who has made you better then all them :lol:
The bloke's a clown and won't be seen when they're getting shafted on a weekly basis.

Well the world and his wife are using Fulham as the example on here. The truth is, more times than not, teams who spend money do better than those who don't so I take the Fulham example with a pinch of salt.

As for Wolves - Yes, they have become very mouthy these past 18 months but I guess the previous 38 years living in our shadow must have really eaten away at them. I must admit, I will take great pleasure watching us return to our rightful place as the Midlands numero uno and watch their moronic fans crawl back under their stones.

He got divorced and his wife took half of everything he had. After that, the purse strings were tightened and he wanted out. He hired muppets admittedly but it was all part of his cost cutting exercise - In the end it backfired because he sold after relegation.
gou are a million.miles behind wolves on and off the pitch you won’t be overtaking them anytime in the next decade

We've been out of the PL 3 seasons since it started. Why shouldn't we stay in it given our commitment to improving the squad? We're better than at least half a dozen teams already and our spending hasn't finished.

Wolves on the other hand have been there a paltry 4 seasons since 1992 & in 2 of those they were relegated. Furthermore, out of the last 40 years, we've finished above them 38 times.

It is not deluded to think we will survive or that we will overtake Wolves again at some point in the very near future. In fact, you are deluded if you think otherwise.
Every team has commitment to improving the squad

Yo’ll be saying your tactic of playing 11 men is a radical thing you do next

Norwich, Sheff U, Brighton, Bornemouth, Southampton, Crystal Palace, Burnley, WHU and probably Newcastle. Pick 6 from that shower.
You are. Where remitely near us

Nowhere even

Last edited:
I know this forum loves to talk Villa, but I think you will find that most Villa fans will be content by survival and slowly reestablishing the club.
You may disagree and be sceptical about buying so many new players and anyone with half a brain understand it's a risk they won't gel fast enough. New relations have to be built all over the pitch, but this was something we had to do. The players we had were either loaned, too old or too shite.

Now it may end well or it may end badly, either way you can't really expect the club not to make massive changes.

Don’t get the negativity at all tbf, they let go players who were either too old or not good enough and have replaced them with players with potential to take them to next level. No one knows how it will work out but they’re giving it a go, strange to have a go at them for getting rid of players who will 100% struggle massively to stay up and bringing in players who might give them a fighting chance, I’d be excited right now if I was a villa fan

That's a barmy thing to say about a team who finished 5th in The Championship and then signing players who no-one has a clue whether they can perform at the required level.

It’s actually not barmy at all. The team only really got going once the defence was addressed in January and the return of Jack. From that point onwards. I think that only once before has a team gained promotion after changing manager half way through the season. 5th is a false sense of security for you and by the time that the play offs arrived, nobody wanted to face Villa.

We have (or will have) a very strong starting 11 come the start of the season.

Back