Ashes Team/Thread

So after today have any of the one day side forced their way into the Ashes squad?

Bairstow and Roy to open?
Woakes and Archer?
Morgan?
Buttler?

I quite like Roy at 3 personally, but still leaves us needing one more to open with Burns - is Hameed in contention after a decent half season with Lancashire perhaps?

Watching him in the world cup he seems something of a walking wicket to me - he plays a lot of shots and if he gets the bit of luck he ends up with a big score but he is always likely to get low scores IMO especially if the ball is doing anything, works OK in limited overs and T20 but not sure if he has the game for tests. What is his First Class record like?

Watching him in the world cup he seems something of a walking wicket to me - he plays a lot of shots and if he gets the bit of luck he ends up with a big score but he is always likely to get low scores IMO especially if the ball is doing anything, works OK in limited overs and T20 but not sure if he has the game for tests. What is his First Class record like?

Averages 38 with 9 centuries, but he's spent most of his time down the order, usually at 5 for Surrey.

I have the same concerns as you but I'd give him a go anyway, with Sibley also in the top 3 alongside Burns.

Suppose we have to think about the make up/balance of the team before we start slotting names in. In the winter it felt like we were trying to shoe-horn as many bowlers into the team as possible, but in England do we really need any more than 5?
The top 3 is definitely the worry as (I think) 4-11 picks itself
Burns and Denly will probably get another shot, mainly because Denly seems to be the only one prepared to bat at 3
That leaves one opening slot which I guess will be filled by Jason Roy

Harsh on Sam Curran, Mark Wood and potentially Jofra Archer but I think the 1st test team will look like this

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root (c)
Bairstow (w)
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Anderson
Broad

Suddenly the bowling choice becomes hard

3 from Anderson, Broad, Wood, Archer, Woakes and Curran

A lot depends on the fitness of Anderson and Wood who are both currently injured.

I think Archer will be in regardless though.

If they are all fit I suspect they will go Anderson, Broad and Archer. Pressure on them to perform from the off as Wood and Woakes have been playing very well

Suppose we have to think about the make up/balance of the team before we start slotting names in. In the winter it felt like we were trying to shoe-horn as many bowlers into the team as possible, but in England do we really need any more than 5?
Burns and Denly will probably get another shot, mainly because Denly seems to be the only one prepared to bat at 3

Harsh on Sam Curran, Mark Wood and potentially Jofra Archer but I think the 1st test team will look like this

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root (c)
Bairstow (w)
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Anderson
Broad

I don't think your far wrong with that but I'd drop Ali and I think they'll find a way for Archer to be in the starting XI with Woakes being the obvious fall guy.

Burns
Roy
Denly
Root (c)
Bairstow (w)
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Anderson
Broad
Archer will 100% be starting the 1st test, unless injured. Probably at Broad’s expense IMO

Archer will 100% be starting the 1st test, unless injured. Probably at Broad’s expense IMO
That would be a BIG call, especially in The Ashes

I don't think your far wrong with that but I'd drop Ali and I think they'll find a way for Archer to be in the starting XI with Woakes being the obvious fall guy.
Think I read somewhere that he has a side strain/niggle that might rule him out of the 1st test

Not a chance Archer won't be playing that first test if he's fit. Woakes will be the obvious fall guy imo. Harsh on him.

I keep hearing about managing his workload and how he cant bowl long spells - he gets a lot of pace from a short jog in. I think he will play the first test but maybe sit out later ones depending on results

That would be a BIG call, especially in The Ashes

Think I read somewhere that he has a side strain/niggle that might rule him out of the 1st test

It would be but he was dropped in the Windies, and Wood, Woakes and Archer will have credit in the bank after the World Cup and in Wood's case his excellent showing in the WI.

Back