Ashes Team/Thread

The Rat

Striker
Starting this as doing some work and bored, plus don't want to disrupt world cup thread with any test cricket talk.

Any ashes shite in here

While I start it, will give my Ashes team as it stands, which since the availability of Archer and Wood bowling off a long run up makes some difficult choices. Curran was brilliant in England, Woakes record at home fantastic, and you always want Broad on English pitches against the Aussies.

I can't decide who to fit in.

Roy has to play for me, either opening or at 3, as only places going, not sure much benefit in him playing 4, and can't have Buttler any higher than 5.

The other option is Ballance, who has his criticss, but I think his last few test comebacks aren't what they seem when you look back, one he was bang out of form, and the other he got injured 1 or 2 tests in.

I still think he is the best batsman outside the test squad by some distance, but not at 3

The other player I think they should consider is Sam Northeast, injured last year, but nobody really scores more than him year in year out. Vince would be in my side at min as nobody else really putting hand up, he has quality, and Bartlett the lad from Somerset is the real talent to watch

6,7,8 has to stay the same, need to stop messing them around, we have proved that it doesn't work moving these up the order.

Roy
Burns
Vince
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow (Wk)
Ali
Archer/Wood
Broad
Jimmy

Oval and Lords I might play Wood for Broad, although its close between him and Archer

Curran was so good last summer like, but how do you fit him in? He needs to bat top 6 for Surrey and score big runs

I have no idea basically, we have some talent in the country mind, just need toughening up a bit in test cricket

For @Voice of fair play who I know wants Root at 3, I would consider that if we could get Ballance in at 5, his best position, but it means Buttler at 4, I just don't think that would do him any good.

Rambling post sorry.

Last edited:

Starting this as doing some work and bored, plus don't want to disrupt world cup thread with any test cricket talk.

Any ashes shite in here

While I start it, will give my Ashes team as it stands, which since the availability of Archer and Wood bowling off a long run up makes some difficult choices. Curran was brilliant in England, Woakes record at home fantastic, and you always want Broad on English pitches against the Aussies.

I can't decide who to fit in.

Roy has to play for me, either opening or at 3, as only places going, not sure much benefit in him playing 4, and can't have Buttler any higher than 5.

The other option is Ballance, who has his criticss, but I think his last few test comebacks aren't what they seem when you look back, one he was bang out of form, and the other he got injured 1 or 2 tests in.

I still think he is the best batsman outside the test squad by some distance, but not at 3

The other player I think they should consider is Sam Northeast, injured last year, but nobody really scores more than him year in year out. Vince would be in my side at min as nobody else really putting hand up, he has quality, and Bartlett the lad from Somerset is the real talent to watch

6,7,8 has to stay the same, need to stop messing them around, we have proved that it doesn't work moving these up the order.

Roy
Burns
Vince
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow (Wk)
Ali
Archer/Wood
Broad
Jimmy

Oval and Lords I might play Wood for Broad, although its close between him and Archer

Curran was so good last summer like, but how do you fit him in? He needs to bat top 6 for Surrey and score big runs

I have no idea basically, we have some talent in the country mind, just need toughening up a bit in test cricket

For @Voice of fair play who I know wants Root at 3, I would consider that if we could get Ballance in at 5, his best position, but it means Buttler at 4, I just don't think that would do him any good.

Rambling post sorry.

I would go for that team as well but i wouldn't be humming and haaing over Archer like. If fit he plays all 5 tests and is a different level to Wood despite Woodys cracking performances in WI. I would play Wood if Broad is either out of form or if there are fitness / form problems with other seamers.

I would go for that team as well but i wouldn't be humming and haaing over Archer like. If fit he plays all 5 tests and is a different level to Wood despite Woodys cracking performances in WI. I would play Wood if Broad is either out of form or if there are fitness / form problems with other seamers.

It's an easy comment to make, but Wood's performance in that test was probably the best and quickest spell of a fast bowling I have seen in an England shirt.

Archer is going to play like lets be honest,

Jimmy is as good as ever in England, Broad is under pressure, shame we aren't playing a trent bridge and at Yorkshire.

Wonder if Woakes will play test cricket any time soon, I'd say its between him and Curran if its overcast and swinging and say Jimmy was unfit.

The sides got some potential like, I am convinced Roy will do well, in his 150 80% of his runs were in front of the wicket, thats unusual for a big ODI hundred, shows his technique can do it. Of all the players we have tried, I'd give him the longest run, we have almost got into a situation in the 90s with the openers, they are under so much pressure straight away, and if they haven't scored a 100 in the first 5 test people say drop em

I am not saying I'd pick him, but Stoneman is a good example, he did OK in a debut Ashes tour in Australia, then got a few 50s in NZ, lookign solid and seeing off the new ball, the press all saying he is under massive pressure to perform, he was doing fine.

Need to pick some batsman and say ignore everyone else, you are playing all 5 tests and the next series, don't worry about that. But obviously just do that with talented lads.

Probably a bit too early to say for a number of positions

It’s good to see that the seam bowling has such depth however, especially for when Jimmy and Broad retire.

The top order is a real issue however, I’m inclined to go with Roy given there is little else. Number 3? Fuck only knows

Probably a bit too early to say for a number of positions

It’s good to see that the seam bowling has such depth however, especially for when Jimmy and Broad retire.

The top order is a real issue however, I’m inclined to go with Roy given there is little else. Number 3? Fuck only knows

Yep defs, which didn't seem like it not long ago. Convinced Stokes can take the new ball in England when it swings too personally after Jimmy. Bets wrist inEngland bar Jimmy

If we play on half decent pitches I don't think Anderson and Broad will both make it through the series.
Although more than likely they will be prepared to help out medium Pacers.

They are never really prepared like, its England, thats what pitches are like, it rains most of the year and is mild.

Its only in London you get flat pitches in England, has been in my life time anyway.

Jimmy still going strong, better than ever

It's an easy comment to make, but Wood's performance in that test was probably the best and quickest spell of a fast bowling I have seen in an England shirt.

Archer is going to play like lets be honest,

Jimmy is as good as ever in England, Broad is under pressure, shame we aren't playing a trent bridge and at Yorkshire.

Wonder if Woakes will play test cricket any time soon, I'd say its between him and Curran if its overcast and swinging and say Jimmy was unfit.

The sides got some potential like, I am convinced Roy will do well, in his 150 80% of his runs were in front of the wicket, thats unusual for a big ODI hundred, shows his technique can do it. Of all the players we have tried, I'd give him the longest run, we have almost got into a situation in the 90s with the openers, they are under so much pressure straight away, and if they haven't scored a 100 in the first 5 test people say drop em

I am not saying I'd pick him, but Stoneman is a good example, he did OK in a debut Ashes tour in Australia, then got a few 50s in NZ, lookign solid and seeing off the new ball, the press all saying he is under massive pressure to perform, he was doing fine.

Need to pick some batsman and say ignore everyone else, you are playing all 5 tests and the next series, don't worry about that. But obviously just do that with talented lads.

they better bloody be ive bought tickets!

Have we give up on Jennings opening the batting ?

Yes or at least I hope so. No-one is better at hitting the top of off stump time and time again as Hazlewood. No-one is worse at coping with that type of bowling than Jennings. He would fail in every innings. Mind you theres every chance any opener we go for will there are no easy answers.

Last edited:

Back