Arena of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the comments that Sunderland couldn't sell gigs out. Scarborough OAT every year has massive names and they all sell out easily and Scarborough is not easier to get to nor does it have the capitive area like Sunderland either. I've never in my lifetime knew of a good gig in Sunderland in terms of something people actually want to see outside the Stadium of Light.

The North East badly needs an arena which is around 4k - 5k imo as there's plenty bands who know they won't sell out the Utilta / New Arena in Newcastle as it's too big and there's not enough people are so you end up having a half capacity which is just crap for everyone. Next after that your down to the O2 Academy / City Hall which are 2k each which are a way too small and a waste of time.

It should be on the Vaux or Civic Centre sites though not near the football ground.
if it had the right venue it could stage gigs of a certain size - no point at all in recreating what is planned for Gateshead Quayside. I've been to many gigs in my time but only one in Sunderland, New Order at The Mayfair in 1984

Are you having a laugh mate? It costs a shit load more to attract a band to Sunderland than Newcastle for a start (I know). They want a bigger guarantee in advance as opposed to relying on a 80/20 split.
An example, I struggled to sell out Catfish and the Bottlemen in a 100-odd venue. A few months later, they're selling out 02's, including Newcastle.

I disagree with the comments that Sunderland couldn't sell gigs out. Scarborough OAT every year has massive names and they all sell out easily and Scarborough is not easier to get to nor does it have the capitive area like Sunderland either. I've never in my lifetime knew of a good gig in Sunderland in terms of something people actually want to see outside the Stadium of Light.

The North East badly needs an arena which is around 4k - 5k imo as there's plenty bands who know they won't sell out the Utilta / New Arena in Newcastle as it's too big and there's not enough people are so you end up having a half capacity which is just crap for everyone. Next after that your down to the O2 Academy / City Hall which are 2k each which are a way too small and a waste of time.

It should be on the Vaux or Civic Centre sites though not near the football ground.

That's a novelty outdoor arena with a set summer schedule though mate. Its not something that needs to all but sell out twice a week.

if it had the right venue it could stage gigs of a certain size - no point at all in recreating what is planned for Gateshead Quayside. I've been to many gigs in my time but only one in Sunderland, New Order at The Mayfair in 1984
Yeah totally agreed, there's no point trying to go for another big arena as there's no need for it tbh. Never been to one in Sunderland, tbh can't even think of there actually ever being one there.

That's a novelty outdoor arena with a set summer schedule though mate. Its not something that needs to all but sell out twice a week.
Fair play on the OAT but it all depends how you built it, if you gear it towards purely concerts then yeah you probably right but the NE is also lacking a decent exhibition space. They should try and replicate if they were going to do something the Arena MK, try and get some snooker or something or help and some sports we don't have since there's no where really do it at the same time; Sunderland Uni graduations could be done there, there's an extra few days etc.

Every region has one pretty much bar us; Scotland SECC, North West Manchester Central, Midlands NEC + Arena MK, London Excel, Yorkshire Harrogate, South West West Point Arena, South East Farnborough, North East ?

Sorry but I think that's a complete load of bollocks. The calibre of acts we've brought to the Stadium just goes to show that.

The Metro Arena is bad, because the venue itself is bad.
Its being replaced with a completely new state of the art facility on the quayside next to the sage. It will also have state of the art conference facilities as well.

Last edited:
The Arctic Monkeys were still relatively unknown at the time - the album wasn't even out IIRC.

Since then we've had the stadium concerts. We've had AC/DC and the Stones lined up.

A proper state of the art arena like Leeds or Glasgow over a dilapidated awld hockey pitch would get the nod, and people would attend.

And some promoters/acts won't touch it. 'Cos it's crap.

I'm talking about a purpose built music venue to fill the gap between Leeds and Glasgow, not to compete with Newcastle. Newcastle is already roundly ignored.
Something like this that is currently at design stage and has planning permission you mean?

We kna that man.
So whats the point of another one in Sunderland?

People saying the Metro arena is poor and the north east lacks conference and exhibition facilities. Both of those issues are already being resolved.

Last edited:
Something like this that is currently at design stage and has planning permission you mean?

So whats the point of another one in Sunderland?

People saying the Metro arena is poor and the north east lacks conference and exhibition facilities. Both of those issues are already being resolved.
None whatsoever now.

If you'd read my very first comment here, I said we should have built one on the Vaux side. And we should have done so years ago. We missed a trick.

For what it's worth, I think it's absolutely absurd to suggest KLD should have anything to do with such a thing as the OP suggests.

Would have been the biggest white elephant for years. I know from experience that we can't compete with Newcastle for musical acts and even if they are willing to come, there's gwberally a x-mile exclusion zone for tours when they're playing somewhere elsewhere so, if they do play Newcastle (which a lot of acts are even missing on tours these days) they wouldn't be able to Sunderland.

I've promoted for years mate, I know the industry.
Feel free to give it a go and report back with your findings.
Small time defeatist thinking.If you carry it through why build the SOL. and compete football wise?
Summer concerts at SOL sell out as does regional air show.Build it and they ll come if product and attraction is right.Going through the same white flag negative cycle mindset will not change anything.Milton Keynes has a 5k capacity arena.Go ahead,ambitious towns and cities are building them.They attract more than just pop concerts.Multi functional leisure and recreation events.
The pattern is frustrating here that many Sunderland folk have very limited ambition and vision and sadly mock and riducule
those who have it for their home city.
None whatsoever now.

If you'd read my very first comment here, I said we should have built one on the Vaux side. And we should have done so years ago. We missed a trick.

For what it's worth, I think it's absolutely absurd to suggest KLD should have anything to do with such a thing as the OP suggests.
Do you think Abramivich hasnt invested around and adjacent to SB ???

Last edited:
Small time defeatist thinking.If you carry it through why build the SOL. and compete football wise?
Summer concerts at SOL sell out as does regional air show.Build it and they ll come if product and attraction is right.Going through the same white flag negative cycle mindset will not change anything.Milton Keynes has a 5k capacity arena.Go ahead,ambitious towns and cities are building them.They attract more than just pop concerts.Multi functional leisure and recreation events.
The pattern is frustrating here that many Sunderland folk have very limited ambition and vision and sadly mock and riducule

Not before he bought the League.

I agree with the rest of what you're saying, I just don't see it as KLD's responsibility at present. The lad's just got here man. I want a football team we can be proud of.
I'd be more than happy if SoL Concerts was a thing again though and we were a regular on the stadium tour circuit.
Absolutely.

Last edited:
How about a half-decent football team to watch in a higher division than League One, and 45,000 fans there?
Come on KLD, make that happen first

Utter nonsense. What has a football club with a large fan base and 120 years of tradition prior to the present stadium have to do with building an arena 10 miles away from another arena.
Just had a look at the MK one and they certainly aren't competing for big acts, its seems.
Its not small time thinking at all, its what f***ing happens, why don't you arguing with what I'm saying talk to a big booking agent and they'll lyell you exacrtly how it works. If an artist has a show routed then another generally can't be booked within a certain radius and within a certain timescale.
I was trying to tell Chris Wallace this. Booking agents will give you increasingly bigger artists, IF you sell out and make them money.
Sadly, this has rarely happened in Sunderland since I've been involved over the last 20 years or so.
Also, the massive promoters such as SJM have control over the larger tours and they have partnerships and money in venues thy always use. I believe they have a partnership with ASM who own the Newcastle Arena and also shares in the Academy groupnwhonownbthe 02's

The SOL for example, will only have been paid a venue hire fee, with ticket sales, merch etc going to the promoters and partners.

As I said though, anyone who thinks they can make it work, have a go. I lost thousands, trying to make it work in my home town - ended uo using money from a remortgage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back