Arena of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Digbeth Civic is the main one now. Is it the old Irish centre - I have a gig booked there for later in year and its been ages since I went to a gig in Birmingham, let alone that part of town.

No, that's on the other side of the road in a fairly modern building, The Civic is a Victorian building just up the road from the Custard Factory. It's a real bugger (or at least used to be) because the only way in/out for the gear is up two floors of a narrow concrete staircase.

Utter nonsense. What has a football club with a large fan base and 120 years of tradition prior to the present stadium have to do with building an arena 10 miles away from another arena.
Just had a look at the MK one and they certainly aren't competing for big acts, its seems.
Its not small time thinking at all, its what f***ing happens, why don't you arguing with what I'm saying talk to a big booking agent and they'll lyell you exacrtly how it works. If an artist has a show routed then another generally can't be booked within a certain radius and within a certain timescale.
I was trying to tell Chris Wallace this. Booking agents will give you increasingly bigger artists, IF you sell out and make them money.
Sadly, this has rarely happened in Sunderland since I've been involved over the last 20 years or so.
Also, the massive promoters such as SJM have control over the larger tours and they have partnerships and money in venues thy always use. I believe they have a partnership with ASM who own the Newcastle Arena and also shares in the Academy groupnwhonownbthe 02's

The SOL for example, will only have been paid a venue hire fee, with ticket sales, merch etc going to the promoters and partners.

As I said though, anyone who thinks they can make it work, have a go. I lost thousands, trying to make it work in my home town - ended uo using money from a remortgage as well.
As someone who works in the industry I concur with all of the above

Utter nonsense. What has a football club with a large fan base and 120 years of tradition prior to the present stadium have to do with building an arena 10 miles away from another arena.
Just had a look at the MK one and they certainly aren't competing for big acts, its seems.
Its not small time thinking at all, its what f***ing happens, why don't you arguing with what I'm saying talk to a big booking agent and they'll lyell you exacrtly how it works. If an artist has a show routed then another generally can't be booked within a certain radius and within a certain timescale.
I was trying to tell Chris Wallace this. Booking agents will give you increasingly bigger artists, IF you sell out and make them money.
Sadly, this has rarely happened in Sunderland since I've been involved over the last 20 years or so.
Also, the massive promoters such as SJM have control over the larger tours and they have partnerships and money in venues thy always use. I believe they have a partnership with ASM who own the Newcastle Arena and also shares in the Academy groupnwhonownbthe 02's

The SOL for example, will only have been paid a venue hire fee, with ticket sales, merch etc going to the promoters and partners.

As I said though, anyone who thinks they can make it work, have a go. I lost thousands, trying to make it work in my home town - ended uo using money from a remortgage as well.
How do you think the First Direct Arena in Leeds got off the ground?

No offence but your crazy for spending money in Sunderland trying to get bands etc to come, the way it is - massive respect though.

The thing is though your both right in a way, if you built a suitable place then some bands will come; no-one expects the big bands to come but there's plenty who like playing smaller venues on pre tour, like Warrington is a quite popular place for people for one and Sunderland could easily pick them up. Sunderland Council could've easily worked with someone like ASM to get stuff into the city. You just have to look at North Tyneside who have them running the Whitley Bay Playhouse and York who have them running the Barbican, both similar distances from Leeds and/or Newcastle and the Barbican get's some alright bands in.

Your also right about what you said there but your going to struggle to attract anyone without a decent venue to play, it's a risk but having a concert hall there could open 1 or 2 bars which could attract a few more people into Sunderland which then in turn gives you more people for your gigs and so on.

It definitely would have to be in the centre though as it's a waste of time being near the SOL and right now isn't the right time to build it with Covid and the Newcastle one being built mind.

btw they don't own the sites they just run them in general. The Academy Group don't own the City Hall or Academy in Newcastle; not too sure if ASM own the arena or Playhouse though.

would you build one in Bradford though ?
St George's Hall - It's not big but it's a concert hall nevertheless Sunderland has nothing.

NOMOREARENAS

the BoL is about 3.5k - 4k isnt it anyway which he was told & ignored (as usual) the last time this came up

If Madonna played there she could play Ray of Light....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back