Arena of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

No offence but your crazy for spending money in Sunderland trying to get bands etc to come, the way it is - massive respect though.

The thing is though your both right in a way, if you built a suitable place then some bands will come; no-one expects the big bands to come but there's plenty who like playing smaller venues on pre tour, like Warrington is a quite popular place for people for one and Sunderland could easily pick them up. Sunderland Council could've easily worked with someone like ASM to get stuff into the city. You just have to look at North Tyneside who have them running the Whitley Bay Playhouse and York who have them running the Barbican, both similar distances from Leeds and/or Newcastle and the Barbican get's some alright bands in.

Your also right about what you said there but your going to struggle to attract anyone without a decent venue to play, it's a risk but having a concert hall there could open 1 or 2 bars which could attract a few more people into Sunderland which then in turn gives you more people for your gigs and so on.

It definitely would have to be in the centre though as it's a waste of time being near the SOL and right now isn't the right time to build it with Covid and the Newcastle one being built mind.

btw they don't own the sites they just run them in general. The Academy Group don't own the City Hall or Academy in Newcastle; not too sure if ASM own the arena or Playhouse though.

St George's Hall - It's not big but it's a concert hall nevertheless Sunderland has nothing.

agreed but the problem is how to finance the deal and what the risk would be to the developer be it council or private. Suspect whatever happened to get this off the ground the council would have to take the headlease which would run the risk of if the operator went bust they’d be left with a venue to manage and the council shouldn’t be organising gigs, or theyd get another operator and end up subsiding the development. 4,000-5,000 is the missing size venue in the region but no idea if it stacks up.

im sure the council will have looked at this in the past as I’m sure live nation used to operate the theatre and they are one of if not the biggest promoter / operator in the
i believe.

people suggesting that Sunderland should have an 10,000-15,000 venue should remember that Newcastle and Gateshead have been trying for over 10 year’s to get it to stack up.

Can we have an owner that cares about, and only about, the success of the football team?
Someone who spends every minute of every day striving for greatness.

better yet- build a Gladiatorial Arena- Coliseum of Light
then, to improve vehicular access to both we could built a big roundabout- Roundabout of Light (or we could call it the circle of light and adapt the song from the Lion King- as it would be a necessarily large roundabout it makes sense that most of our future songs would be about it)
organise huge pre match fights

Can we have an owner that cares about, and only about, the success of the football team?
Someone who spends every minute of every day striving for greatness.
You do realise this thread has nowt to do with the club?

agreed but the problem is how to finance the deal and what the risk would be to the developer be it council or private. Suspect whatever happened to get this off the ground the council would have to take the headlease which would run the risk of if the operator went bust they’d be left with a venue to manage and the council shouldn’t be organising gigs, or theyd get another operator and end up subsiding the development. 4,000-5,000 is the missing size venue in the region but no idea if it stacks up.

im sure the council will have looked at this in the past as I’m sure live nation used to operate the theatre and they are one of if not the biggest promoter / operator in the
i believe.

people suggesting that Sunderland should have an 10,000-15,000 venue should remember that Newcastle and Gateshead have been trying for over 10 year’s to get it to stack up.

Yeah honestly can't argue with anything you've said there tbh. If it went well just always see it as a benefit for regenerating the centre and could've been all built around it. Instead they're regenerating the centre around a bridge pretty much as there's nothing to drag people in. Even Swansea is getting a 3.5k arena built and they've got the same issue with Cardiff that Sunderland has with Newcastle and Derby got the new 5k Velodrome which can do events too in similar distance to Nottingham.

Just had a look into the theatre there it seems they're still ran by them but LiveNation got it's theatres bought out in 2009 by The Ambassador Theatre Group who still run it. It's canny the theatre tbh one the few things the centre has got going for it.

Last edited:
Yeah honestly can't argue with anything you've said there tbh. If it went well just always see it as a benefit for regenerating the centre and could've been all built around it. Instead they're regenerating the centre around a bridge pretty much as there's nothing to drag people in. Even Swansea is getting a 3.5k arena built and they've got the same issue with Cardiff that Sunderland has with Newcastle and Derby got the new 5k Velodrome which can do events too in similar distance to Nottingham.

Just had a look into the theatre there it seems they're still ran by them but LiveNation got it's theatres bought out in 2009 by The Ambassador Theatre Group who still run it. It's canny the theatre tbh one the few things the centre has got going for it.

i agree it would be a good draw if they could get it work but quite a big risk for the council to deliver it unless they have the operator / promoter lined up.

I know that Bristol have been speculating for one down there as well but it doesn’t seem to have had progressed. There seems to be a sway of towns/cities similar to Sunderland trying to find ways to get people into the city centre - music arena, ice rinks, leisure pools. It would be interesting to know which ones are successful or will be in 5-10 years time.

see middlesbrough snow dome was cancelled.

i agree it would be a good draw if they could get it work but quite a big risk for the council to deliver it unless they have the operator / promoter lined up.

I know that Bristol have been speculating for one down there as well but it doesn’t seem to have had progressed. There seems to be a sway of towns/cities similar to Sunderland trying to find ways to get people into the city centre - music arena, ice rinks, leisure pools. It would be interesting to know which ones are successful or will be in 5-10 years time.

see middlesbrough snow dome was cancelled.

Yeah definitely, surely they could find someone though for the right money or incentives.

An 17k arena in Bristol seems a bit overkill mind especially when there's the Motorpoint across in Cardiff, plus the 3.5k one in Swansea aswell could be a bit too much for one area like.

I know it's not a totally fair comparison because of the size but it's amazing what the Leeds Arena has done for the area around there as it used to be an absolute dump around the Merrion and it's totally transformed the area tbh. It's just a shame that Sunderland aren't really doing anything to bring people in.

Never knew about the snow dome there, probably dodged a bullet there sure the one in Glasgow is constantly struggling and it's a bit niche, not going to drive many people in the area imo.

What's this obsession with getting big music venues and specifying how many people it holds. Why 5,000-7,000?

More independent venues instead please. There's a few in Newcastle with constant gigs and cracking bands.

I went to the Newcastle O2 a lot more than the arena.

The Point failed because the owner chose to book 90s nostalgia bands that he wanted to see.

What's this obsession with getting big music venues and specifying how many people it holds. Why 5,000-7,000?

More independent venues instead please. There's a few in Newcastle with constant gigs and cracking bands.

I went to the Newcastle O2 a lot more than the arena.

The Point failed because the owner chose to book 90s nostalgia bands that he wanted to see.

It's because there's a gap up here for around the 3k - 5k size arena. If you have a band who can sell 4.5k tickets at a gig, right now he's got the options to go to the likes of the O2 Academy and sell 2k tickets or do the arena and it'll be half empty which is just shit. So the idea is they'll be attracted to take a risk at Sunderland as 3.5k tickets there would be better than 2k in Newcastle money wise.

If you opened a 2k venue then it's simple anyone half decent would jump at the O2 Academy or City Hall as you don't tend to pay for the venue, you just get the ticket sales and the venue makes it money from the drinks etc. If you took the 3.5k option at £30 a ticket that's an extra £40,000'ish for choosing Sunderland.

Smaller venues are better than arenas though mind, agreed there and Sunderland could probably support a small venue like World HQ or Think Tank in Newcastle aswell tbh.

Yeah definitely, surely they could find someone though for the right money or incentives.

An 17k arena in Bristol seems a bit overkill mind especially when there's the Motorpoint across in Cardiff, plus the 3.5k one in Swansea aswell could be a bit too much for one area like.

I know it's not a totally fair comparison because of the size but it's amazing what the Leeds Arena has done for the area around there as it used to be an absolute dump around the Merrion and it's totally transformed the area tbh. It's just a shame that Sunderland aren't really doing anything to bring people in.

Never knew about the snow dome there, probably dodged a bullet there sure the one in Glasgow is constantly struggling and it's a bit niche, not going to drive many people in the area imo.

think Bristol is only 4K capacity next to Ashton Gate.

the issue with incentives is that they will always come crawling back for more. You have to factor in the financing of the development cost, site acquisition / abnormals and then the operational gap funding if required or guarantee the rent of a private developer. It’s a bit of a minefield. Leeds is a slightly unfair comparison as it has a massive student and graduate population compared to Sunderland, but I get the point. It would be great to have a theatre and couple of decent size music venus in the city.

my point on the snow dome is that people criticised the council for not delivering one on sheepfolds years ago and now this, however I suspect an arena has or is being discussed. It will be a case of what level of risk the council are willing to take and what other areas of risk they’ve taken on - IAMP, Riverside Sunderland, Seaburn etc...

think Bristol is only 4K capacity next to Ashton Gate.

the issue with incentives is that they will always come crawling back for more. You have to factor in the financing of the development cost, site acquisition / abnormals and then the operational gap funding if required or guarantee the rent of a private developer. It’s a bit of a minefield. Leeds is a slightly unfair comparison as it has a massive student and graduate population compared to Sunderland, but I get the point. It would be great to have a theatre and couple of decent size music venus in the city.

my point on the snow dome is that people criticised the council for not delivering one on sheepfolds years ago and now this, however I suspect an arena has or is being discussed. It will be a case of what level of risk the council are willing to take and what other areas of risk they’ve taken on - IAMP, Riverside Sunderland, Seaburn etc...

Maybe they're getting 2 in Bristol then, https://www.ytlarenabristol.co.uk/our-plans - I got that one when Googling it. Definitely overkill if both got built.

Can't argue really tbh totally get where your coming from, yeah I knew it wasn't that fair but it's totally transformed the area. Let's just hope they have something planned as Sunderland could be ugly in a few years time especially with the loss of Debenhams and Topman / Topshop now, that end of the Bridges is looking rather empty.

First I've heard of the snow dome there mind, interesting.

Maybe they're getting 2 in Bristol then, https://www.ytlarenabristol.co.uk/our-plans - I got that one when Googling it. Definitely overkill if both got built.

Can't argue really tbh totally get where your coming from, yeah I knew it wasn't that fair but it's totally transformed the area. Let's just hope they have something planned as Sunderland could be ugly in a few years time especially with the loss of Debenhams and Topman / Topshop now, that end of the Bridges is looking rather empty.

First I've heard of the snow dome there mind, interesting.
I didn’t know about that one in Bristol, perhaps that has stopped or delayed the other.

you are right about the city centre. They’ve managed to get some funding for the High Street so hopefully that will look to redevelop that site - although that’s just another one to do in the City Centre...problem is that everyone needs doing.

yeah they went out for snow dome operator in Sunderland, was going to be next to the stadium on the scrap yard site I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back