Arena of Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have built a 10-15k concert arena on the Vaux site.

Would have been the biggest white elephant for years. I know from experience that we can't compete with Newcastle for musical acts and even if they are willing to come, there's gwberally a x-mile exclusion zone for tours when they're playing somewhere elsewhere so, if they do play Newcastle (which a lot of acts are even missing on tours these days) they wouldn't be able to Sunderland.
With a paltry capacity.Break a leg why dont you.The lack of ambition in some people is in believable.Maybe it's a Sunderland thing mentality.?? Indoor arenas are proposed all over the country.

I've promoted for years mate, I know the industry.
Feel free to give it a go and report back with your findings.

Last edited:

Would have been the biggest white elephant for years. I know from experience that we can't compete with Newcastle for musical acts and even if they are willing to come, there's gwberally a x-mile exclusion zone for tours when they're playing somewhere elsewhere so, if they do play Newcastle (which a lot of acts are even missing on tours these days) they wouldn't be able to Sunderland.

Sorry but I think that's a complete load of bollocks. The calibre of acts we've brought to the Stadium just goes to show that.

The Metro Arena is bad, because the venue itself is bad.

The bloke will be skint with some of the stupid suggestions from off here.

Why not build an airport to fly people into the arena while he's at it,or dredge the river so he can get a few cruise ships to dock out the back of the west stand.

Sorry but I think that's a complete load of bollocks. The calibre of acts we've brought to the Stadium just goes to show that.

Think what you want mate. There's a huge jump between an arena and a stadium act - Pride Park have attracted stadium acts yet ones of that size go to Nottingham arena. Now why haven't Derby built one of those (they have a sports one with a velodrome instead)? The Metro Arena is being rebuilt over the river anyway.

Last edited:
Think what you want mate. There's a huge jump between an arena and a stadium act - Pride Park have attracted stadium acts yet one snot of that size go to Nottingham arena. Now why haven't Derby built one of those (they have a sports one with a velodrome instead)? The Metro Arena is being rebuilt over the river anyway.
A Vaux site arena could have been that replacement.

It's too late now, but it's what should have happened.

A Vaux site arena could have been that replacement.

It's too late now, but it's what should have happened.

It wouldn't have worked, seriously, I know what I'm talking about (for once).
When booking agents are routing tours, if they include Newcastle (established on the circuit for years) then they aren't allowed to book another so close.
If its a choice between the two and the money offered is the same, they would choose Newcastle due to its trannsport links etc.

I used to promote for the Manor Quay when live music was in the midst if a boom period in the city. It was even a slog to sell out Arctic Monkeys and the Subways who were all over the press at the time.
When they played Newcastle - a sell-out in no time.

100% agree with this.

It's a shame but Sunderland is not on the circuit and hasn't been for nearly 50 years.

But it's there already, and is known to promoters. The stadium attracts acts in competition with SJP, and it's down to who wants it more, or has the time to do it. Newcastle and Sunderland are simply too close geographically to support two arenas.

It wouldn't have worked, seriously, I know what I'm talking about (for once).
When booking agents are routing tours, if they include Newcastle (established on the circuit for years) then they aren't allowed to book another so close.
If its a choice between the two and the money offered is the same, they would choose Newcastle due to its trannsport links etc.

I used to promote for the Manor Quay when live music was in the midst if a boom period in the city. It was even a slog to sell out Arctic Monkeys and the Subways who were all over the press at the time.
When they played Newcastle - a sell-out in no time.
The Arctic Monkeys were still relatively unknown at the time - the album wasn't even out IIRC.

Since then we've had the stadium concerts. We've had AC/DC and the Stones lined up.

A proper state of the art arena like Leeds or Glasgow over a dilapidated awld hockey pitch would get the nod, and people would attend.
But it's there already, and is known to promoters. The stadium attracts acts in competition with SJP, and it's down to who wants it more, or has the time to do it. Newcastle and Sunderland are simply too close geographically to support two arenas.
And some promoters/acts won't touch it. 'Cos it's crap.

I'm talking about a purpose built music venue to fill the gap between Leeds and Glasgow, not to compete with Newcastle. Newcastle is already roundly ignored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back