Are you happy with Netflix?

I got it free for 6 months with my Sky subscription then they wanted something like £7.99 a month after that..wasn’t that impressed with it tbh..haven’t got it now.

Just about worth it for £11 for me and the missus across 5 devices. I have used pirate bay extensively for a long time but not recently due to Netflix (and Prime), but the recent growth in streaming services may send me back and that would also involve cancelling netflix.

Used to have a little cinema in The Empire Theatre years ago. They showed some great non lowest common denominator stuff. Some before they were even released in the U.K. as an audience reaction tester thing before general release. Punters were supposed to fill in a postcard sized questionnaire but being Sunderland most of the idiots couldn’t be arsed so the film distributors took their films and questionnaires elsewhere. This was around the time Reservoir Dogs was released as that’s where I saw it a long time before it’s general release.

Last thing I saw at The Tyneside Cinema was Blood Simple by the Coen Brothers. Early 80s?

Was a canny little place - we saw Reservoir Dogs there too. Shame it went the journey.
Treason review – say hello to TV’s cuddliest spy

Watched the first episode of this last night and I thought it must be a spoof, it was so bad.

Absolute dogshit, wasn't it? Ludicrous plot and some poor acting.

Was a canny little place - we saw Reservoir Dogs there too. Shame it went the journey.
Was it called the Stage Door? Saw Freddy Krueger/A Nightmare on Elm Street there in the 80's(?)

"
The small cinema auditorium with 120 seats opened in

1984 and it was the'baby' of my dear deceased friend,

Brett Childes, who, prior to his long spell at

Sunderland Empire,had been the last manager of the

huge Odeon (ex Blacks' Regal), Sunderland.

The small cinema occupied an area which had formerly

served as rehearsal rooms. I donated a category board

from the Haymarket Theatre, Newcastle among other

materials, to help him to keep opening costs down as

he had to fight a lot of internal opposition to this

cinema ever seeing the light of day.

Anyway, it did pay its way (as did the main Empire

auditorium between live shows) prior to a young

upstart from The Sands Centre, Carlisle taking over

as Chief Executive in 1997. This character took an

immediate dislike to films playing a part in the

Empire’s remit and closed the Empire Studio (the name

of the small cinema) and sold the screen and

projection equipment in the main theatre.

A brilliant move that turned out to be as very soon

after this executive decision was taken the ABC closed

permanently and the Empire would have had the pick of

the major releases for some time to come given that

the multiplex (aka the Empire – bet that causes some

confusion with older people taking their grandchildren

to ‘the pictures’)did not materialise for a number of

years……."

Treason review – say hello to TV’s cuddliest spy

Watched the first episode of this last night and I thought it must be a spoof, it was so bad.

On episode 2 now. It's terrible... but it's so bad that it's laugh-along funny with nonsense writing and terrible acting but it's nice to clear your mind with trash TV once in a while.

Finished White Lotus season 2 last night and that is truly excellent.

Back