Are there any good female vocalists?

Surely he's left the board in embarrassment?

Got nothing to be embarrassed about. She is underrated, if you actually listened to her new album from start to finish you might actually agree.

Avril Lavigne. She's the best singer ever and the paragon of human virtue and beauty. I'd love to wear her ski....

Shit, wrong login!

You may joke but there are six albums out there that I doubt you or anyone on here have heard all the way through. She does have a great voice, it shows up especially when she does a ballad.

Before she was famous she used to sing a lot of country songs, there’s videos knocking around on YouTube and you can really hear it in those. She didn’t get spotted for not having any talent.

Last edited:
There is often a huge difference between a good female vocalist and a good female frontperson or artist... just because a female vocalist happened to front a big selling act doesn't always mean they were best vocalist around.
Likewise, some female solo artists over recent years or decades even may have sold bucket loads of product but more down to more advanced promo budgets and social media hype than being a very good or excellent vocalist or singer?... IMO ;)

Excellent female vocalist: Karen Carpenter

Good or very good female vocalists: Melba Moore, Natasha (Bat for Lashes), Alison Moyet, Aretha Franklyn, Kate Bush

female vocalists on some great albums: Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Bangles (with Hoffs on lead vocals), Eurythmics/Annie Lennox, Siouxsie with Banshees/Creatures, KT Tunstall, Fleetwood Mac, Aimee Mann, Deacon Blue (female vocalist on their albums), Maria Rita (big in Latin America), Diana Ross, and Edda Dell'Orso (female vocalist on lot of Morricone scores in 60/70's)

edit: and special mention must also go to Grace Jones- not the greatest female singer, but I still own every one of her albums and a load of 12" remixes... groundbreaking in her own way, amazing stage presence (live) and as far as I'm aware still holds record for most ever single releases from a single stand alone album (Nightclubbing) ;)

Last edited:
Got nothing to be embarrassed about. She is underrated, if you actually listened to her new album from start to finish you might actually agree.

You may joke but there are six albums out there that I doubt you or anyone on here have heard all the way through. She does have a great voice, it shows up especially when she does a ballad.

Before she was famous she used to sing a lot of country songs, there’s videos knocking around on YouTube and you can really hear it in those. She didn’t get spotted for not having any talent.
Logon or register to see this image

Of the modern era I love Courtney Barnett’s voice, not much stuff by her that I don’t like.

My favourite female singer from years back was Nanci Griffith she had a decent voice, there is a lot of dirge in her back catalogue, but worth it for the gems (late night grande hotel, and the Other voices albums)

You just don't get a female singer with a nice voice and I don't mean the type who sing at a very high note which sounds like they are trying to sing there lungs through there nose. I never hear a singer these days and think wow she reminds me of that pat benatar. OK of today's singers Beyonce has a nice voice but she is just one i can think off my head.

Corrine bailey rae ,This lady goes well with soft lights,a comfy sofa ,good company and a glass of wine .

Last edited:
Carole King
Aimee Mann
Dar Williams

pretty much defined and influenced the film Magnolia through her songs... probably the most influential soundtrack by single person since the genius of Morricone with Sergio Leone back in the 60/70's! :cool:

Florence is outstanding.

fact check... before she got all the social media hype she was mediocre at best... here (major) record company advised her to steal template of Bat for Lashes (indie label) and run with that... surprise surprise, when you have major record label backing you can re-write history! … The Florence girl gets social media press, but is nowhere near any good or very good singer! A total fake... unoriginal one at that :lol:

Last edited:

Back