Are there any good female vocalists?

Okay mate. I get it. It is literally impossible to be impressed by something that doesn't fall within narrow self-imposed constraints, and all the millions of people who were blown away by Riverdance 25 years ago were in fact long-standing secret fans of Irish dancing.

Lots of people had never really seen anything like Riverdance.

Plenty people have heard a woman sing.

Went to see the Hugh Jackman show in Glasgow - Keala Settle (Greatest Showman Bearded Lady) was pretty impressive.

I do enjoy listening to Dolores O'Riordan though - there was something haunting about her voice and tone.

You just don't get a female singer with a nice voice and I don't mean the type who sing at a very high note which sounds like they are trying to sing there lungs through there nose. I never hear a singer these days and think wow she reminds me of that pat benatar. OK of today's singers Beyonce has a nice voice but she is just one i can think off my head.

Over the years there's been many......

Stevie Nicks
Janis Joplin
Cas elliott
Aretha Franklin
Nina Simone

Just for starters

I do have an issue with female singers, they don't seem to have the power of a mans voice to relay emotion. Yes I accept that Beyonce, Adele, Florence have a fantastic set of lungs but they just don't do it for me.

I did like Delores O'Reagan when she came on the scene and Courtney Love but can't think of anybody since.

Karen O, yeah yeah yeahs. Have a listen to maps, that's canny for relaying emotion

Female singers tend to be more susceptible to the whims of fashion mind. Very few are allowed to tread their own path, whether they think they are or not.

The current fashion is to not be able to enunciate properly and go X Factor up and down the scale as soon as possible. Fake emotion.

edit: and special mention must also go to Grace Jones- not the greatest female singer, but I still own every one of her albums and a load of 12" remixes... groundbreaking in her own way, amazing stage presence (live) and as far as I'm aware still holds record for most ever single releases from a single stand alone album (Nightclubbing) ;)
That sounds incredibly unlikely.

Back