Are the pubs finished?

Any remaining independents will likely shut , the brewery owned operators will weather the storm and likely mop up or buy-to-rent back the independent pubs.

Any remaining independents will likely shut , the brewery owned operators will weather the storm and likely mop up or buy-to-rent back the independent pubs.

Be loads of independents get through it. My local whole it's missed out on loads probably doubles it's money in the summer when the weather was decent. Everyone working from home. Normal lunchtimes a dozen or so pensioners.. lunchtimes through the summer the garden bwas mobbed 7 days a week.

Be loads of independents get through it. My local whole it's missed out on loads probably doubles it's money in the summer when the weather was decent. Everyone working from home. Normal lunchtimes a dozen or so pensioners.. lunchtimes through the summer the garden bwas mobbed 7 days a week.

We had a ridiculously good couple of months in August and September, if we hadn’t had to spend a fortune creating the outside space it’d have put us in a really strong position. The wheels fell off in October but we’re still not in a terrible position given the year we’ve had.

I think most wet pubs outside of city centres will reopen. Last summer local pubs forced to do table service probably did not do too badly as drinkers gave city centres a miss.
However I think city centres may well be finished.
I now realise that restrictions will continue for a few years yet and if that is the case city centre pubs which generate most of their turnover on a Saturday will not be able to pack the punters in anymore.
I cannot imagine, for example, thousands of fans flooding out of the SOL straight into a crowded boozer.
Some long established wet pubs in Newcastle centre have not opened since March.
It may be goodbye to the traditional weekend city centre pub crawl.
For ever ? If this goes on for a few years social habits may have changed for ever.

I think they’ll be fine. Aye a few will close but potentially they may have closed anyway, it’s just brought forward the inevitable for them.

interestingly, quite a few places are getting ready to open around me as well

We had a ridiculously good couple of months in August and September, if we hadn’t had to spend a fortune creating the outside space it’d have put us in a really strong position. The wheels fell off in October but we’re still not in a terrible position given the year we’ve had.
As did my local. They spent some money on outdoor spaces too which the money they took before lockdown in tier 2 may have covered the additional cost. The large marquee was mobbed some nights

I can see the only way you will be able to get into pubs which are not table service in the future will that you will need have proof that you have had the vaccine.
It would be fine if you needed to prove you had had a vaccine.
I would settle for that. But I fear the days of standing with a pint in a pub at the bar could be over.

I know of two micro pubs that double up as a shop that were doing better than they'd forecast throughout the last year.
With all due respect, would anyone miss those places?

Nope. I reckon plenty of shite pubs like that will go the journey.

Last edited:
If you had told me this time last year that we were going to have the year we would and in a year's time society will look as it does now, I wouldnt believe you.

I would expect it to be a post apocalyptic wreckage.

The economic rules pre 2019 dont apply. If most pubs go under, most society will go with it.

There isnt enough money in terms of how we've come to understand it.

The only ways forward are an attempt to return to a normal in which everyone is fucked because there has never been an global economic catastrophe like it, or alternatively there is financial consensus that everyone borrow til back on our feet.

Theres no other options.

With all due respect, would anyone miss those places?

Well of course they would. Despite the pub environment of them places shamefully being neglected in favour of cheap food offerings, those places still have a scattering of people who use them as a local and are convenient for a quick drink if you live nearby. Particularly The Barnes, not exactly spoilt for choice for pubs in that part of town.

Why would they be finished ? So are hotels, gyms, swimming pools, restaurants etc.. finished ? No is the answer. Get through this and the pubs will be just fine, we’re expecting to be busier than ever once we’re allowed to reopen and we were doing great before covid.

Still be plenty of demand once the vaccine been rolled out , most people like to be social , be nice if the days off daft drink prices were finished though but pubs will come back IMO

Why would they be finished ? So are hotels, gyms, swimming pools, restaurants etc.. finished ? No is the answer. Get through this and the pubs will be just fine, we’re expecting to be busier than ever once we’re allowed to reopen and we were doing great before covid.

Any dates penciled in for this ?

The theory is more people will have got out of the habit (it was compared to how once people stopped going to the match many never bothered again) and more, who look at VFM have realised they can get more for less from supermarkets.

I reckon some will go the journey, but plenty will be fine as well. Just look at how many rock up now if a pub is doing take outs.
Any dates penciled in for this ?

The numbers dictate. You don't just pick a date, as that'd be silly.

Back