Are the pubs finished?

I don’t think we should kid ourselves that the financial support has been enough to cover costs for a lot of pubs. I know quite a few that are surviving on loans that will need to be paid back. I don’t subscribe to their being a catastrophic collapse but there will be casualties.

The January one off payment will have helped surely? That’s not an insignificant sum of money. I’m obviously in a minority here but I feel the government support has been more than I expected but we have low overheads.
Still not came through yet but will help a bit. 5 pubs to support tho so with rent on properties and maintenance it doesn’t go very far. Surprisingly sky haven’t taken a penny (£1200 a month normally) and they’re the ones that we were expecting to still take payments.

Still not came through yet but will help a bit. 5 pubs to support tho so with rent on properties and maintenance it doesn’t go very far. Surprisingly sky haven’t taken a penny (£1200 a month normally) and they’re the ones that we were expecting to still take payments.
Don’t you get a payment per property? I always assumed that was the case but we only have 1 so not really looked into it.

We’ve had a very mixed experience with suppliers, some have been brilliant and some have been absolute twats! The twats will be dropped at the earliest opportunity.

Our council have been brilliant as well, grants come through very promptly without even having to apply!

Last edited:
Don’t you get a payment per property? I always assumed that was the case but we only have 1 so not really looked into it.

We’ve had a very mixed experience with suppliers, some have been brilliant and some have been absolute twats! The twats will be dropped at the earliest opportunity.
Na 5 pubs ran under the same company and its the company that gets it so if we had 1 pub or 5 pubs it’s the same money. We will be fine I think and once we open will thrive but it’s been an utterly horrendous 10 months. Boredom more than anything to be honest, just like being busy, getting on with things and having a good crack with everyone.

Completely agree. Even when supping in the house I prefer three or four better beers (usually come in around 5er a can) than hoying ten tins of piss down.

@Dave Herbal might disagree mind.

Aye same, don’t mind spending extra now there’s shite all to do. I found another Micropub while out walking the other day that has a class craft range and doing home delivery. Drinking a cinder toffee milk stout with the match - tastes like a pissed Crunchie. Class.

Missing draft pints like, looking forward to the first one back with all our pals in tow.

Na 5 pubs ran under the same company and its the company that gets it so if we had 1 pub or 5 pubs it’s the same money. We will be fine I think and once we open will thrive but it’s been an utterly horrendous 10 months. Boredom more than anything to be honest, just like being busy, getting on with things and having a good crack with everyone.
Are you sure about that? It’s done on property rateable value so surely it has to be per property? It would obviously go to the parent company to distribute tho.

The people who work for us have struggled with boredom so we’ve given them a few jobs to do about the place when we can (paid properly of course!). Thankfully we have full time jobs as well so haven’t been sitting around, we’ve been busier than ever!
Aye same, don’t mind spending extra now there’s shite all to do. I found another Micropub while out walking the other day that has a class craft range and doing home delivery. Drinking a cinder toffee milk stout with the match - tastes like a pissed Crunchie. Class.
New Bristol?

To be honest we aren’t being propped up by the government at all, £1000 a month to the business and 80% furlough being paid. Everyone we speak to are currently operating at a loss and feel that government have left us hanging out to dry. It’s why we need to be reopened ASAP, once we are tho the ones that have made it through will thrive, no doubt about it.

Ah right, thanks for putting me right. I thought, wrongly, that the government were providing enough financial support to every business ordered to close to ensure they can survive till they are allowed to open

There'll be quite a few that wont reopen, but theres going to be a lot of pent up demand for social interaction. 22/23 will be a boom year for the hospitality industry

Good thing is the more established places that people know and love will be resurrected. Places like that will be fine.
I don't think it will be. It's owned by one of the colleges, they're not selling it but they're not allowed to support a loss-making business because they're a charity.

There's lots of ways it can make them money beyond being a working pub

To me, its simple business - where there is a demand, or a gap in a market, it will be filled. Supply and demand - as present, there's no demand due to restrictions, so supply will dry up. Once demand returns, so will supply, leaner maybe.

As an ex drayman I can tell you that dray lads are being hit by it all. One company I worked for gave out a couple of compulsory redundancies before asking a few others to take theirs. The other is holding back from redundancies but telling its lads unless they sign these new contracts which will effectively mean they'll work 12 hours a day for 9 hours pay then they'll be given their notice period and dismissed...

I was in a pub yesterday afternoon which was not packed but had a steady flow of punters.

British people love drinking. In my view the pubs are safe if they try a bit harder to encourage punters.

1. Keep prices reasonable.

2. Put on some form of entertainment , bands etc.

3. If possible have an outside area.

3. Recruit, train, pay and retain good bar staff.

:DI was in a pub yesterday afternoon which was not packed but had a steady flow of punters.

British people love drinking. In my view the pubs are safe if they try a bit harder to encourage punters.

3. Recruit, train, pay and retain good bar staff. 7. 7.
7. Bar people that can't count properly.

I was in a pub yesterday afternoon which was not packed but had a steady flow of punters.

3. Recruit, train, pay and retain good bar staff.

Aye some, not all. Our couple of locals have no bands on, no pool table, no nudgy , no food... Just decent beer, decent staff and decent punters..

Last of a dying breed like

Back