Are the pubs finished?

I was in a pub yesterday afternoon which was not packed but had a steady flow of punters.

British people love drinking. In my view the pubs are safe if they try a bit harder to encourage punters.

1. Keep prices reasonable.

2. Put on some form of entertainment , bands etc.

3. If possible have an outside area.

3. Recruit, train, pay and retain good bar staff.
Number 1 is the biggest issue facing them. Massive infact.

Aye some, not all. Our couple of locals have no bands on, no pool table, no nudgy , no food... Just decent beer, decent staff and decent punters..

Last of a dying breed like
Same, although this is Liverpool city centre, possibly harder to do it without food a bit further out. Most live music in pubs is utter shite too, covers or acoustic crap. Would rather drink in peace.

Obviously the OP was a wind up anyway.

I was in a pub yesterday afternoon which was not packed but had a steady flow of punters.

British people love drinking. In my view the pubs are safe if they try a bit harder to encourage punters.

1. Keep prices reasonable.

2. Put on some form of entertainment , bands etc.

3. If possible have an outside area.

3. Recruit, train, pay and retain good bar staff.

I would rather stab my eyes out than go to a pub with live music. I’d rather die than go to an open mic night.

Am I in the minority here?

In a wetherspoons ffs? Some craic.
It was rife in WMC's, British Legion clubs and the likes for decades - they're not exactly places known for top dollar prices either.

Back then it was mainly the older customers, but stingy is stingy, whatever age you are.

Although I suspect the young'uns you've clocked were doing it because they were trying to be smart arses and to see if they could get away with it. Then cause a scene if they got caught.

I would rather stab my eyes out than go to a pub with live music. I’d rather die than go to an open mic night.

Am I in the minority here?
No. Also cringe at anyone saying they're going to see "the turn".

There's been a proliferation of jazz nights in pubs here which are f***ing absymal too.

Latest advert for my local is pushing breakfast and coffee menus, lunch menus and several set dinner menus; the small print mentions they also sell beer, wine and spirits too

Latest advert for my local is pushing breakfast and coffee menus, lunch menus and several set dinner menus; the small print mentions they also sell beer, wine and spirits too
The biggest issue for me the atmosphere of pubs has just completely changed since they all started doing food. Understand with the money they can make but once you find yourself in an old traditional style pub that's drink only you notice the difference straight away.

Back