Are the pubs finished?

No way pubs are finished - you just have to see the amount of people posting about pubs to see that. If ones do close I don’t doubt others will open up in their place - a disaster for current owners tho unfortunately

I can see the only way you will be able to get into pubs which are not table service in the future will that you will need have proof that you have had the vaccine.

I'd be very surprised there arent tax rises on plonk in the next budget.Perfect opportunity with the pubs shut,folks will still think £3-6 a bottle is bargain compare to to £3-4 a glass in the pub.
The two aren’t really comparable though are they? That’s like saying you could buy a single bed from a charity shop rather than paying A bit extra to stay in a hotel.
It's been a while since you have been in the UK hasn't it - that would be a bargain indeed.
I pay about £9 a glass of wine in the places I drink in Newcastle

Why won't they be full? They were packed when they were allowed to be open last year, you had to book a week in advance around here to get a table.
Because they’ll be heavily restricted same as they were before. Wasn’t doing it for me when last open. Better than nowt mind.

Obviously not going to be finished but will be decimated. I guess the main pubcos will already be making plans to get rid of the bottom quartile of performers or something. And god knows how many independent ones will come out the other side.

Was thinking the other day about places like The Barnes and The Grange in Sunderland Big buildings that used to be hotels but now just bog standard carvery type of affairs. Loads of open space and rooms that aren’t in use. Mustn’t be cheap to run those types of places, so are they viable in their current form going forward?
With all due respect, would anyone miss those places?

The two aren’t really comparable though are they? That’s like saying you could buy a single bed from a charity shop rather than paying A bit extra to stay in a hotel.

I pay about £9 a glass of wine in the places I drink in Newcastle
They arent comparable when ones out of bounds but i see ya point. £9.00 😮 jesus wept.

Why won't they be full? They were packed when they were allowed to be open last year, you had to book a week in advance around here to get a table.
They’ll also be millions more people unemployed when furlough ends. I admire your optimism but I do fear for the pub trade, it’s not just people’s livelihood (not withstanding how appealing it must be for people who work in that sector and have lost their job), but a core tenet of working-class association and communities.

The Tories would love to replace little indipendant locals with franchise type chain pubs. More money for their rich mates and a kick in the teeth for working class community spirit. A double whammy!

Personally I think any pub that survives will thrive as long as the 'substantial meal' nonsense isn't brought back

I guess it depends on the furlough and government support. If little pubs are getting propped up by government to tick over when closed, then there's no reason for them to go bust. If the government order them to stay closed or food only and don't offer any financial support then 1000s will close forever

No, you’re being unduly pessimistic because you’re unwell and unhappy. Which is fine it happens to us all, but when you’re feeling more clear-headed you’ll see that eventually we will return to normality and if people want pubs people will run pubs.

A lovely old pub down here in the centre of Oxford has just announced it's closing due to the impact of COVID. It's been going for 408 years.

408 years. It's in Jude the Obscure man. :cry:

There’s no suggestion that it will be which is the major point. I’ve been ill for a month and in six months could be the same again. Even with an injection I could still pass it on if I’m not symptomatic. For me there’s no going back to the way we were but just a new normal.

That’s sort of my point I doubt it’ll be like before where we were all packed in bars stood about etc.

Still lack of energy, breathing problems, can constantly smell smoke and loads of food tastes out of date.

Funking hell, I am so pleased you said that about smelling smoke, I had 3 days of that before my smell totally went (still gone). Spoke to a few others who never had the smoke thing and thought it was just me.

Almost like I had been around a fire pit and the smell your clothes has (but not quite that). Very bizarre.

I also know the feeling of not being right, heads just not what it was. I have had a bad few weeks and I never thought I would be bad off it, I class myself as pretty fit and only 43.

On the pubs, I don't know how some of them stayed open before covid.

Last edited:

Back