Archie Battersbee Case

Heartbreaking, how his family would even try and come to terms with it I have no idea. Thoughts are with them and poor archie

Their QC is saying it's hoped he'd make some form of recovery. The poor lad is brain-stem dead and on a ventilator. He's being kept alive.
I dread to think what kind of online challenge he'd done to end up like this, but it's not going to improve.
I'd hate to be in their position but I can't see how this is making things any easier for them.

Their QC is saying it's hoped he'd make some form of recovery. The poor lad is brain-stem dead and on a ventilator. He's being kept alive.
I dread to think what kind of online challenge he'd done to end up like this, but it's not going to improve.
I'd hate to be in their position but I can't see how this is making things any easier for them.

As awful as it sounds, the mam is just in pure denial, he's gone unfortunately.

God knows what on line challenge it was although again that has come from the mam saying "she thinks he was partaking in an online challenge".

As awful as it sounds, the mam is just in pure denial, he's gone unfortunately.

God knows what on line challenge it was although again that has come from the mam saying "she thinks he was partaking in an online challenge".

I just looked it up and it's some sort of 'Blackout Challenge' where they hyperventilate, it's seems this kid had been found with a ligature around his neck.

A spokesman for the Christian Legal Centre, which supports the family said: "The parents of Archie Battersbee have made a last-ditch application to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities (UNRPD) following the refusal of the UK's Supreme Court to intervene in the case yesterday."

I'm not sure the UN will want to get involved considering it's been dealt with at the highest court in our land, but there we go.
A potentially cynical part of me wonders whether the Christian Legal Centre have pushed them to do this.
The poor lad is already gone.
A previous article even said "the picture you see of him isn't what he looks like now". No I imagine it isn't poor lad.

It’s a really heartbreaking story and I just don’t know if I personally could ever want to let my child go.

Can’t begin to think how they are dealing with this.

@janey , I really struggled to read that post of yours. X

It’s a really heartbreaking story and I just don’t know if I personally could ever want to let my child go.

Can’t begin to think how they are dealing with this.

@janey , I really struggled to read that post of yours. X
Thank you, it’s not the easiest of stories, but when it comes to it, as hard as it is, you have to try and put the child before yourself. But, I also understand why people would struggle to do this xx

A spokesman for the Christian Legal Centre, which supports the family said: "The parents of Archie Battersbee have made a last-ditch application to the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities (UNRPD) following the refusal of the UK's Supreme Court to intervene in the case yesterday."

I'm not sure the UN will want to get involved considering it's been dealt with at the highest court in our land, but there we go.
A potentially cynical part of me wonders whether the Christian Legal Centre have pushed them to do this.
The poor lad is already gone.
A previous article even said "the picture you see of him isn't what he looks like now". No I imagine it isn't poor lad.
Possibly not the thread for a full debate but I did wonder similar, given the CLC's ties to the Christian Concern advocacy group

While I try and understand parents going to the enth degree to keep their child alive, sometimes I can’t pretend it doesn’t also upset me because, while I know they don’t want to lose him, they have to do what’s best for him and not them. It’s one of the most selfless acts any parent can do for their child.

It’s just heartbreaking this and like other people have said it must be absolutely tragic to be involved directly. I just wonder what the parents intentions are on outcomes if they actually eventually won. Are they expecting the NHS to run ventilation and support indefinitely - until he’s an adult, an old man ? or are the counting on some some of miracle cure/treatment to occur ?

It’s just heartbreaking this and like other people have said it must be absolutely tragic to be involved directly. I just wonder what the parents intentions are on outcomes if they actually eventually won. Are they expecting the NHS to run ventilation and support indefinitely - until he’s an adult, an old man ? or are the counting on some some of miracle cure/treatment to occur ?
As others have said, it is tragic beyond belief. A good looking young lad gone way before his time.
I think the parents are hoping for that miracle which by the look of it isn’t going to happen. It’s an agonising decision that most of us will never have to make fortunately so I can understand the parents stance.

Think there's a BBC article on it from today where his mam is saying she wanted six months but they were trying to switch off machines after three days.

Think there's a BBC article on it from today where his mam is saying she wanted six months but they were trying to switch off machines after three days.
If his brain is already necrotising as has already been mentioned on here then in my non medical opinion there can’t be any hope for him.

We went through similar with father in law. The consultant said to my mil and my wife "we can keep him alive as long as you want but his brain is dead. He's not coming back"

She said switch it off and walked out. Had already made peace with the fact he'd gone

We went through similar with father in law. The consultant said to my mil and my wife "we can keep him alive as long as you want but his brain is dead. He's not coming back"

She said switch it off and walked out. Had already made peace with the fact he'd gone
Freedom comes with being at peace. Hope I have her strength if I ever need it

Back