Arcadia Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top shop canny. My daughter likes it, however as all and sundry have said green failed to invest in the digital platform in comparison to PLT and BooHoo to name a couple.

He did however invest a 1.2 billion divy to his misses. Imagine if even half of that was invested.

He would actually openly talk about old fashioned retailing etc. Time has passed him by.
Topshop and PLT/Boohoo are different kind of businesses though, PLT and Booboo copy the Topshop items, make 500 of them for £2 each and sell them for £30, stuff is designed and uploaded onto the site within weeks. Whereas Topshop have brick and mortar stores, will need to produce 20000 of the items and even though they are not exactly long lasting its not the wear once and throw away items that PLT/Boohoo produce.

Removing £1.2 billion 15 years ago was a shocking decision and he would have renoved a lot more since but if Topshop followed those online brands then theyd have gone out of business a lot quicker. Sure PLT tried the brick and mortar path and had to close as they just couldnt make it work.

Topshop name will be bought by somebody who just keeps the site and sells the cheap sweatshop made dresses that everyone was kicking off about last year but then totally forgot about it and carried on buying them.

Reactions: PTR
News that Debenhams is shutting too. Sunderland needs to have a spine-chilling rethink about their strategy for the city centre.

We need to move non-retail footfall in as soon as possible. All of the university and college buildings including accommodation, any other public sector employers - build a new hospital if we can. Private retail will only survive holding on to the footfall of others in the future, we must accept that fact.

Last edited:
Top shop canny. My daughter likes it, however as all and sundry have said green failed to invest in the digital platform in comparison to PLT and BooHoo to name a couple.

He did however invest a 1.2 billion divy to his misses. Imagine if even half of that was invested.

He would actually openly talk about old fashioned retailing etc. Time has passed him by.
Confused re this lack of digital platform reason firms mention for struggling when primary has no website for internet shopping and seems to attract hordes of shoppers to the high street

You know what, with these big High St chains getting into trouble, how the fuck does Mike Ashley seem to always pop up in the frame to buy/rescue them?
What is it he does or knows differently.

Did Debenhams cut their own noses off to spite their own faces rather than let him sort them out for example?

Is he hated in the retail world for some reason?

Predatory business practises.

He ruthlessly takes controls of supply chains to drive "known" brands (lonsdale, slazenger, etc) to near bankruptcy so he can buy them for nowt and start producing shit good with their name on, AND deny them to competitors.
When he gets a store chain he uses horrendous mechanisms to effectively screw all staff and creditors - in usc's case he stuck it in administration, gave the staff 30 minutes notice of redundancy, renegotiated all of the creditor and staff contracts then brought it right back out of admin under a different part of sport direct.
He purchases multiple troubled retailers in order to drive the rents for his entire operations down - in intus case for example he put himself in a position where he could threaten to stop paying at all at the metrocentre and pull out unless they effectively offered him the HoF, flannels, jack wills and usc floors at a loss (he actually followed through and shifted the sport direct at the metrocentre to the tesco building next to asda which costs him more and does far less business but acted as a "warning" to intu that they could end up with some massive empty units)

Basically we have built a world where acting like an utter arsehole is the best winning strategy.

News that Debenhams is shutting too. Sunderland needs to have a spine-chilling rethink about their strategy for the city centre.

We need to move non-retail footfall in as soon as possible. All of the university and college buildings including accommodation, any other public sector employers - build a new hospital if we can. Private retail will only survive holding on to the footfall of others in the future, we must accept that fact.
Has Sunderland council been blamed yet

Predatory business practises.

He ruthlessly takes controls of supply chains to drive "known" brands (lonsdale, slazenger, etc) to near bankruptcy so he can buy them for nowt and start producing shit good with their name on, AND deny them to competitors.
When he gets a store chain he uses horrendous mechanisms to effectively screw all staff and creditors - in usc's case he stuck it in administration, gave the staff 30 minutes notice of redundancy, renegotiated all of the creditor and staff contracts then brought it right back out of admin under a different part of sport direct.
He purchases multiple troubled retailers in order to drive the rents for his entire operations down - in intus case for example he put himself in a position where he could threaten to stop paying at all at the metrocentre and pull out unless they effectively offered him the HoF, flannels, jack wills and usc floors at a loss (he actually followed through and shifted the sport direct at the metrocentre to the tesco building next to asda which costs him more and does far less business but acted as a "warning" to intu that they could end up with some massive empty units)

Basically we have built a world where acting like an utter arsehole is the best winning strategy.

Explains a lot. I'm no lover of commercial property landlords mind, but he sounds a right fucker to deal with. Dunno whether to admire him or hate him for his stance.

Confused re this lack of digital platform reason firms mention for struggling when primary has no website for internet shopping and seems to attract hordes of shoppers to the high street

Primark is so cheap they will never sell online, a big % of items bought online get returned so there is no margin for Primark to do so

Primark is so cheap they will never sell online, a big % of items bought online get returned so there is no margin for Primark to do so
The environmental impact of internet shopping must be massive too
I've just chucked out about 1 bins worth of plastic bags bubble wrap and boxes compared to going to the shops with a reusable bag looking for something, trying it on buying it and keeping it

The environmental impact of internet shopping must be massive too
I've just chucked out about 1 bins worth of plastic bags bubble wrap and boxes compared to going to the shops with a reusable bag looking for something, trying it on buying it and keeping it

the impact of more vans on the streets delivering is problematic enough, as for the environmental part, the slave labour scandals and packaging and flying goods all over the world it's a horrendous industry and does anyone care...I dont think so

the impact of more vans on the streets delivering is problematic enough, as for the environmental part, the slave labour scandals and packaging and flying goods all over the world it's a horrendous industry and does anyone care...I dont think so
No one cares
It's whipped up to hysterical levels by giddy women just clicking away
The amount of arguments I've had with wife and daughter that their shopping goings on will kill the high street

No one cares
It's whipped up to hysterical levels by giddy women just clicking away
The amount of arguments I've had with wife and daughter that their shopping goings on will kill the high street

well they will be able to have a coffee and eat a pizza only on their high st trips of the future, my kids are the same, rarely a day goes by without a package arriving here..it's maddening

well they will be able to have a coffee and eat a pizza only on their high st trips of the future, my kids are the same, rarely a day goes by without a package arriving here..it's maddening
I refuse to answer the door for packages
Get your backside out and have a look in the shops is my response

One of the worst sights is the vultures swooping in these shops when they are closing down
Most have never been anywhere the shops in the past

Debenhams now
Yup loads will start collapsing now, people will see that the Lockdowns have really killed the economy , paying wages is not enough.
So sad.

Getting new tenants for the stores, considering the size of most Debenhams (like the one in the town), is going to be a major challenge.
Nobody will want to open up places that size. City centres are goosed now because of this. People think it won’t effect them but everything is linked, these guys will have it suppliers, maintenance contracts, transport. All this wfh crap and stay at home stuff will not work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back