Arcadia Group

Debenhams and Arcadia have nothing to do with Covid and is more to do with arrogance of owners not wanting to adapt (Green) or owning a business stuck in the 80's that no-one wants anymore (Department Stores / Debenhams).
Of course it has to do with it , it’s a combination of both, if they could of traded this year then they would of lasted longer, had more chances to change their model etc

Of course it has to do with it , it’s a combination of both, if they could of traded this year then they would of lasted longer, had more chances to change their model etc

I really don't think they would've though, Debenhams has already been in administration and until Covid came there was no signs of anything changing just more of the same. It's been living on a heartbeat for awhile now and they got asset stripped back in 2003 - Debenhams 'never recovered from private equity ownership'. It's what happened to Woolworths aswell which ended the same way (Kingfisher and B&Q there instead though).

Arcadia had a chance but they needed Green gone as he's just toxic to the brand now and he wouldn't change. Tbh though I still think Topshop, Topman and maybe a few of the others will survive anyway on the High Street but there will be closures and a total revamp of the brand. Do think they would've ended in administration either way with him charge though, influencers etc care about stuff like that now and without them your going nowhere with Gen Z's. Be surpised if it goes altogether though.

Last edited:
I really don't think they would've though, Debenhams has already been in administration and until Covid came there was no signs of anything changing just more of the same. It's been living on a heartbeat for awhile now and they got asset stripped back in 2003 - Debenhams 'never recovered from private equity ownership'. It's what happened to Woolworths aswell which ended the same way (Kingfisher and B&Q there instead though).

Arcadia had a chance but they needed Green gone as he's just toxic to the brand now and he wouldn't change. Tbh though I still think Topshop, Topman and maybe a few of the others will survive anyway on the High Street but there will be closures and a total revamp of the brand. Do think they would've ended in administration either way with him charge though, influencers etc care about stuff like that now and without them your going nowhere with Gen Z's. Be surpised if it goes altogether though.

There needs to be a rethink of this throw away culture also. Producing cheap clothes at any cost is just wrong and a race to the bottom. Need to return to investing in clothing / quality items - not sure how we do this or if it ever could be done mind you.

The one positive from COVID is that we can reset a lot of business and industry to be more environmentally conscious but suspect we will revert back to type in no time at all.

Back