Apprenticeships for the bairn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add on to that list http://www.citb.co.uk/
We have been lucky as a freind of ours is a painter so has offered to put our young through his

I think you have a poor reflection of service sector apprenticeships and to be honest I don't blame you, I still think apprenticeships serve a purpose. Ofcourse if you get a company who takes a shoddy approach to apprentices and apprenticeships then you are going to see shit jobs sold under the name of a term which used to mean learning a trade - there are plenty of trades within the services sector FYI. There is mismanagement in all walks of life and apprentices aren't immune to it, in fact, sometimes they are lumbered with mentors who couldn't give a fuck... things like that are a problem but again it stems down from the top and you have to have the right people on board for it to work but generalizing is wrong.

I have been a shelf stacker, admin worker and receptionist. I've had a lot of service sector jobs. Let me tell you - they don't take a long time to learn. They don't take two years, they take weeks to months. You don't need a mentor, you just need a bit of common sense and to be able to be polite to folk.

Advertising them as an apprenticeship is IMO a lie. Hiring people to do those jobs is IMO exploitation.

They're basic service sector jobs and someone doing them should be paid a proper going rate. I don't believe in the age structured NMW but someone under 18 doing them should get at least the under 18 NMW.

Skills and experience
What an arse.

I have been a shelf stacker, admin worker and receptionist. I've had a lot of service sector jobs. Let me tell you - they don't take a long time to learn. They don't take two years, they take weeks to months. You don't need a mentor, you just need a bit of common sense and to be able to be polite to folk.

Advertising them as an apprenticeship is IMO a lie. Hiring people to do those jobs is IMO exploitation.

They're basic service sector jobs and someone doing them should be paid a proper going rate. I don't believe in the age structured NMW but someone under 18 doing them should get at least the under 18 NMW.
For the most part, apprenticeships seem to be designed to circumvent paying NMW.

Last edited:
These new style apprenticeship schemes have dumbed-down what was an excellent system for young people to learn a trade into something that is worthless.
For instance an apprenticeship in a supermarket. FFS!! There is no skill in stacking shelves and checking out groceries at a till.

I did a four year apprenticeship and also went to college to become a time-served tradesman
Now that is an apprenticeship.
Not some sort of cheap labour which is what's happening nowadays.

A shelf stacking apprentice, can't say I've ever heard of one of those... what do you think an admin apprenticeship consists of?

I'm not saying there aren't shite apprenticeships out there because there obviously is but they're not all shit. You've had a lot of service sector jobs but you haven't been on any apprenticeships, it isn't about the fact the role is basic and easy to learn but the exposure they are giving by being on an apprenticeship scheme. In some companies it means more than simply another statistic, the whole world isn't out for exploitation although I'll concede a large part of it is... I guess I benefited from not being exploited when I began within the services sector.

These new style apprenticeship schemes have dumbed-down what was an excellent system for young people to learn a trade into something that is worthless.
For instance an apprenticeship in a supermarket. FFS!! There is no skill in stacking shelves and checking out groceries at a till.

I did a four year apprenticeship and also went to college to become a time-served tradesman

Sounds like a little more than shelf stacking to me...

If you’re a permanent Asda colleague, this is the perfect way to take your retail skills to the next level, get a recognised qualification, and keep making money. With Level 2 and Level 3 Apprenticeships in our stores, you could focus on a range of roles at Asda from Admin and George through to Home Shopping and Retail Management. You’ll be given a Babcock Vocational Learning Advisor, who will create an Individual Learning Plan just for you. But, just like any qualification, you’ll have to give 100% and put in some of your own time. However, unlike most qualifications, you’ll still get to earn money while you’re learning. The opportunities don’t end there. We also offer apprenticeships in Asda House within our IT department and also our Supply team. These are available to both internal colleagues and to those interested in joining our business. However, we only recruit our apprentices once a year in time for them to start in September. Unfortunately, our apprenticeships aren’t open to everyone. So, if you’re interested, speak to your Store or Line Manager who will let you know more about the apprenticeships available, if you’re eligible and what to do next.

What an arse.

For the most part, apprenticeships seem to be designed to circumvent paying NMW.
You've lost me...

Last edited:
A shelf stacking apprentice, can't say I've ever heard of one of those... what do you think an admin apprenticeship consists of?

I'm not saying there aren't shite apprenticeships out there because there obviously is but they're not all shit. You've had a lot of service sector jobs but you haven't been on any apprenticeships, it isn't about the fact the role is basic and easy to learn but the exposure they are giving by being on an apprenticeship scheme. In some companies it means more than simply another statistic, the whole world isn't out for exploitation although I'll concede a large part of it is... I guess I benefited from not being exploited when I began within the services sector.

Sounds like a little more than shelf stacking to me...

You've lost me...

Well, I've seen them. Dressed up language as ever. Stock replenishment. Grocery assistant. Always something like that.

I reckon an admin apprentice does...admin. It doesn't require an apprenticeship to do an admin job. I've done admin jobs - I understand the work they do. You do not need an apprenticeship to do them.

It's exploitation, pure and simple.

What was the money like back then? Shite?

Well, I've seen them. Dressed up language as ever. Stock replenishment. Grocery assistant. Always something like that.

I reckon an admin apprentice does...admin. It doesn't require an apprenticeship to do an admin job. I've done admin jobs - I understand the work they do. You do not need an apprenticeship to do them.

So you've saw stock replenishment apprenticeship have you? Hoy it up for a laugh :lol:

An admin apprenticeship is about more than admin, do you think an apprenticeship in services is just about the role? If so I think that's where you're going wrong.

You've done admin jobs, it's pretty simple as you say but, an admin apprenticeship is about more than simply doing admin. You'd know if you had been on an apprenticeship yourself, that isn't to say there aren't apprenticeships that are shit though where the person employed isn't developed and is left to waste... I've saw it many times. A good business admin apprenticeship scheme within the services sector will take a person and develop them professionally. Say a company takes on 30 apprentices per year, it then distributes them across the various departments, marketing, finance, IT, etc, etc all of that is business admin. This gives them significant exposure they wouldn't get if they just accepted an admin job.

As I say... I must have just been lucky

Last edited:
My son started with them. They are separate from the construction company, they just farm out the kids to any local companies as cheap labour. Not convinced about them as they don't offer any jobs to the lads.
The only ones that get jobs are the lucky ones that get placed with decent companies. my son did hit lucky and is now doing a job he loves, but he had to go back to one of the companies he had been placed with and chase it up himself. carillon seemed to just be there to collect their money from the government.

Carillion are also right up shit creek at the moment. Watched their share price go from 197p to 50p in the space of about two days...

Don't do retail or food service, all she'll basically be is a skivvy working for slave labour (full time for the same amount as 16 hours minimum wage). She won't learn anything and then when the years up she'll get dumped for the next cheap labour that comes along. Make sure it's somewhere she's a chance to progress and actually learn something

Avoid the service sector apprenticeships.

They're a scam to exploit young people for hideously cheap labour.

Apprentice administrator and the likes.

This

I thought so. my grandson was on a course there and he wasn't happy with it. I didn't know if he did not like what he was doing or a bad course. he went back to college
They used to come out to asses a lad I had "stand over there and pretend to hang that door while I take your pic" what the fucks that all about .Lad couldn't do it at that stage so why go on like that .
Asked him was he learning owt at Carrilion ,he said "not really we just play pool and that"

As I say it's no good and only there to keep waifs and strays off the unemployment figures.College is better by far .

What was the money like back then? Shite?

So you've saw stock replenishment apprenticeship have you? Hoy it up for a laugh :lol:

An admin apprenticeship is about more than admin, do you think an apprenticeship in services is just about the role? If so I think that's where you're going wrong.

You've done admin jobs, it's pretty simple as you say but, an admin apprenticeship is about more than simply doing admin. You'd know if you had been on an apprenticeship yourself, that isn't to say there aren't apprenticeships that are shit though where the person employed isn't developed and is left to waste... I've saw it many times. A good business admin apprenticeship scheme within the services sector will take a person and develop them professionally. Say a company takes on 30 apprentices per year, it then distributes them across the various departments, marketing, finance, IT, etc, etc all of that is business admin. This gives them significant exposure they wouldn't get if they just accepted an admin job.

As I say... I must have just been lucky

Retail apprentice, there's loads of them. Where I work my manager was rubbing her hands together at the thought of having a kid working full time and only getting paid what I get paid for doing 16 hours. It's pure exploitation

An 18yo apprentice gets 3.50

You get 3.50 in your first year regardless of age

You get the min wage for your age group in your second year of the apprentice and you're 19 or over

Service sector apprenticeships by that I mean admin ones or receptionist ones or shelf stacker ones

All real 'apprenticeships' except they're shit jobs being sold under the name of a term which used to mean learning a trade not stacking loaves of bread or answering the phone

That's not necessarily the case for all apprenticeships. Those who opt for the pre registration pharmacy technician course with the NHS are on 70% of the top of Band 4 in the first year and 75% in the second year. That puts them on about fifteen thousand a year, which is not bad for an eighteen year old with no previous experience.

I started out on a YTS ,best thing to ever happen .Gave you a foot in the door and prove yourself which I did to my best ability.

Sound like an old man here but I get the impression most young lads just want the money and Friday to come .

I started out on a YTS ,best thing to ever happen .Gave you a foot in the door and prove yourself which I did to my best ability.

Sound like an old man here but I get the impression most young lads just want the money and Friday to come .

Nowt wrong with wanting the money and a canny weekend, but there are some good kids out there who want to learn the ropes.

The fact that the government had declared that all under 18's must be in full time education or in a job with training has fucked things over a bit. It means there is a pool of knackers who don't want to learn but can't get dole either.

It's the bairns last year at school next year.
She doesnt want to go to 6th form but wants an apprenticeship which I am pleased about.
When is the best time to look and apply for them for next year school ending?

Is there any trade or industry she wants to get into?

Port of Tyne always takes on six or so apprentices over varying trades within the port. I've also seen an advertisement on LinkedIn from a former school mate who is taking on an accountant apprentice.

They used to come out to asses a lad I had "stand over there and pretend to hang that door while I take your pic" what the fucks that all about .Lad couldn't do it at that stage so why go on like that .
Asked him was he learning owt at Carrilion ,he said "not really we just play pool and that"

As I say it's no good and only there to keep waifs and strays off the unemployment figures.College is better by far .

normally if I agree I mark a like. However it does tend to go along with what ive heard, so it is anything but a like. In fact its a disgrace which means your last line is spot on. Just shows what a con all these facts and figures are.

This is a grand chance for these lads to learn some diy skills. Something they don't learn nowadays.

to give my grandson a clue, we made a wooden planter together for a rhubarb plant. now rhubarb is sprouting high and he is chuffed to bits with it and so is his Nan, who will eventually be the beneficiary.

Most people who are successful in applying for an apprenticeship are already partly qualified - a BTEC in Travel & Tourism for an apprenticeship with Hayes Travel for example. They take on a fair few each year. Nearly half of the aporenticeships are in either Business Admin or Healthcare - they tend to pay the worst. The average apprenticeship wage is about £170 a week, but this is skewed by 'engineering' paying much more - over £200 a week is not uncommon. I do this shit for a living so send me a pm if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back