Apprenticeships for the bairn

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackynutmeg

Striker
It's the bairns last year at school next year.
She doesnt want to go to 6th form but wants an apprenticeship which I am pleased about.
When is the best time to look and apply for them for next year school ending?

Not sure mate but I was involved in apprenticeships previously and I know Sage at Gosforth and Home Group both run apprenticeship schemes - Id contact them via their websites

She doesnt want to go to 6th form but wants an apprenticeship which I am pleased about.

I would get her to start digging about now otherwise all the courses that she wants may be taken up. Ive seen it so many times, parents pushing their offspring into a direction the children don't want to go in.

It'll be her decision on what she does.
When I did my apprenticeship (many years ago) I'm sure it was about April/March time when I applied for the September in take.

There's an App called AV search. It has them all listed. Some start appearing as early as Christmas for starting the following September.
More appear all the time. You can set up notifications for any that meet your criteria.

What stuff is she interested in ? If it is engineering, Nexus, Network Rail, National Grid, Nissan all do apprenticeships. If she likes ICT, as mentioned, Sage, Home Group, Accenture all do apprenticeships. Sure you need to be looking a year in advance for these schemes. Also, don't forget the more mundane type jobs have apprenticeships too, bakers, butchers, etc. Mate started off in the travel industry working in a travel agents at 16 and now travels the world checking out top hotels.

She doesn't want to do engineering.
She is more interested in media type of work or something like marketing or travel

Carillion down Deptford run building apprenticeships
My son started with them. They are separate from the construction company, they just farm out the kids to any local companies as cheap labour. Not convinced about them as they don't offer any jobs to the lads.
The only ones that get jobs are the lucky ones that get placed with decent companies. my son did hit lucky and is now doing a job he loves, but he had to go back to one of the companies he had been placed with and chase it up himself. carillon seemed to just be there to collect their money from the government.

She doesn't want to do engineering.
She is more interested in media type of work or something like marketing or travel
Most apprenticeships get advertised here (not just engineering):

https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

Some get advertised a year in advance of starting, so it probably would be a good idea to start looking soon. Mind there's a load of shite gets put on that site, but good ones are there as well.

Carillion down Deptford run building apprenticeships
Waste of time down there mate kids learn nowt just a way to keep them off the dole from my experience of getting lads out of there

Get her to register on the National Apprenticeship website for opportunities once she's in her final year. Engineering opportunities tend to be advertised earlier than other sectors- usually from November onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back