Apprenticeships for the bairn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started my apprenticeship in adminstration back when the wage was at £80 a week. I Progressed all the way through level 2, 3 and 4 apprenticeships with my company, they saw my worth so paid for my degree and now I have more qualifications than I ever thought i could get as well as years and years of experience.

Whilst i dont agree with frijj saying avoid admin roles, as these days its pretty much the only to enter the job market in those sort of roles.

However he is correct in saying theres exploitation. And you might not feel like it cos its worked out well for you, but you were exploited. Years ago youd have done exactly what you did but you wouldve started of on a proper wage prob around £14k - £15k.

I started my apprenticeship in adminstration back when the wage was at £80 a week. I Progressed all the way through level 2, 3 and 4 apprenticeships with my company, they saw my worth so paid for my degree and now I have more qualifications than I ever thought i could get as well as years and years of experience.
Obviously less exploitative than an education system that lumbers you with tens of thousands in debt, good job we're promoting the idea that this debt is natural progression.

We do them at our place. Three years I believe and they are taught all aspects of the business, one day a week college, paid for and a full time job at the end if they pass exams and show willing at work. Plus they have a very current skill with three years experience if they choose to move on.

Some may take the piss, not all.

This.

Okay, well thanks for that.

Unfortunately the apprentice receptionists, shelf stackers and other really basic service jobs might not find it so easy to progress.

I'm genuinely glad that you have.

If you'd just said that instead of being so aggressive, wouldn't that have been easier?

Hospitality assistant is another one. Laughable! Total utter exploitation

That example by the poster is in the services sector, my example is in the services sector... aye they're not doing the jobs you've listed but already proves that your generalisation is pretty whack. I guess we both just got really really lucky not to be exploited whereas those convinced university and the debt that comes with it is natural progression are still waiting to get lucky.

Whilst i dont agree with frijj saying avoid admin roles, as these days its pretty much the only to enter the job market in those sort of roles.

However he is correct in saying theres exploitation. And you might not feel like it cos its worked out well for you, but you were exploited. Years ago youd have done exactly what you did but you wouldve started of on a proper wage prob around £14k - £15k.
But there's exploitation everywhere, the very nature of employment is exploitation... we are exploited as we breath, the only species to pay to live.

Last edited:
Sustrans are offering a transport planning apprenticeship at the minute. The scheme looks absolutely fantastic as well, you'll be miles ahead of university graduates once you've completed it. I was going to apply if I didn't end up landing myself a job in the industry anyway. Pay is about £19.5k in London.

Obviously less exploitative than an education system that lumbers you with tens of thousands in debt, good job we're promoting the idea that this debt is natural progression.

This.

That example by the poster is in the services sector, my example is in the services sector... aye they're not doing the jobs you've listed but already proves that your generalisation is pretty whack. I guess we both just got really really lucky not to be exploited whereas those convinced university and the debt that comes with it is natural progression are still waiting to get lucky.

But there's exploitation everywhere, the very nature of employment is exploitation... we are exploited as we breath, the only species to pay to live.

It's a generalisation. By definition there are exceptions, otherwise all generalisations would be wrong.

It isn't a 'pretty whack' generalisation because in the main these 'apprenticeships' are exploitation.

An apprentice waitress ffs?

It's a generalisation. By definition there are exceptions, otherwise all generalisations would be wrong.

It isn't a 'pretty whack' generalisation because in the main these 'apprenticeships' are exploitation.

Do we got any stats for that?

Not every apprentice is on 3.70 an hour. Most are people that are already in work that have the opportunity to get some free qualifications.

You're sat there shitting all over the idea of apprenticeships, probably lumbered with thousands of pounds of student debt. Meanwhile, those who dont like to have there heads shoved in books being lectured at for years, or for one reason or another had to go straight into work to start earning, have the ability to get some qualifications and experience to go with it.

How much do young people get paid now when on a apprenticeship
We do £140, £180, £240 then £320 pw for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th yr apprentices.

Some of them get as low as £3.70 per hour

Two years as an apprentice receptionist, doing an NVQ2 in business admin? For 3.70 an hour?

It's exploitation

Our 'receptionist' is also our 'Office Administrator', to do that they need a thorough understanding of all aspects of our business. Two years of 4 days a week doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Last edited:
How much do young people get paid now when on a apprenticeship
£3.50 an hour upward.

Well, I've seen them. Dressed up language as ever. Stock replenishment. Grocery assistant. Always something like that.

I reckon an admin apprentice does...admin. It doesn't require an apprenticeship to do an admin job. I've done admin jobs - I understand the work they do. You do not need an apprenticeship to do them.

It's exploitation, pure and simple.
I've seen administrator positions that have required a degree.

That's not necessarily the case for all apprenticeships. Those who opt for the pre registration pharmacy technician course with the NHS are on 70% of the top of Band 4 in the first year and 75% in the second year. That puts them on about fifteen thousand a year, which is not bad for an eighteen year old with no previous experience.
Private companies won't necessarily pay that amount, but it is probably a pretty good apprenticeship for the right person.

Last edited:
Not every apprentice is on 3.70 an hour. Most are people that are already in work that have the opportunity to get some free qualifications.

You're sat there shitting all over the idea of apprenticeships, probably lumbered with thousands of pounds of student debt. Meanwhile, those who dont like to have there heads shoved in books being lectured at for years, or for one reason or another had to go straight into work to start earning, have the ability to get some qualifications and experience to go with it.

It's not really free, if you're effectively being paid less than NMW. You're paying for it by receiving a lower wage.

well, yes. But you know fine well we're on about the low wages.

Im not shitting on apprentices at all, not one bit. Read the thread. I'm shitting on the exploitative bullshit of the £3.50 service sector apprenticeship.

Aye, some people go on and do well. Not saying they don't. I think it's exploitation to make basic service sector jobs "apprenticeships" and slash a couple of quid off the hourly rate.

I don't begrudge anyone who does well from them, nor am I saying everyone should do uni. Christ I've said loads on here we send far too many people to uni.

Just been told today we are taking on an apprentice, rather than a 4 hour contract.

They'll get paid £140 a week for working 40 hours. The apprenticeship is a year with very little prospect of a full time job at the end of it (our highest non management contract is 12 hours)

Last year we had 3 adverts for an apprentice and had 1 applicant, she came for an interview, realised what the crack was and never came back! But our area manager is all for it because the company gets money from the government and they'll kill their own mother to save a fiver!

Learn my job in a few weeks, the rest is exploitation . It's also taking paid jobs out of the community, one very successful multimillionaire who owns a lot of property and businesses locally has basically sacked a lot of the staff in favour of having apprentices, in a town with high unemployment and a lot of poverty it's not been very popular

Just been told today we are taking on an apprentice, rather than a 4 hour contract.

They'll get paid £140 a week for working 40 hours. The apprenticeship is a year with very little prospect of a full time job at the end of it (our highest non management contract is 12 hours)

Last year we had 3 adverts for an apprentice and had 1 applicant, she came for an interview, realised what the crack was and never came back! But our area manager is all for it because the company gets money from the government and they'll kill their own mother to save a fiver!

Learn my job in a few weeks, the rest is exploitation . It's also taking paid jobs out of the community, one very successful multimillionaire who owns a lot of property and businesses locally has basically sacked a lot of the staff in favour of having apprentices, in a town with high unemployment and a lot of poverty it's not been very popular
What company would that be?

It's not really free, if you're effectively being paid less than NMW. You're paying for it by receiving a lower wage.

well, yes. But you know fine well we're on about the low wages.

Well then it isn't that apprenticeships are exploitative is it, it's that employers are being tight kernts with the wages... when has that been a new thing? Aye someone should clamp down on those abusing the scheme but I don't agree that they're exploitative in the main, I think they are largely beneficial to a significant proportion of our workforce.

Last edited:

Well then it isn't that apprenticeships are exploitative is it, it's that employers are being tight kernts with the wages... when has that been a new thing? Aye someone should clamp down on those abusing the scheme but I don't agree that they're exploitative in the main, I think they are largely beneficial to a significant proportion of our workforce.

I work for a high street store.

The other business I mention is Auckland castle

Same difference

I am looking to take on an IT apprentice and finding it really difficult.
All I am asking for is someone that is enthusiastic and above all is able to communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back