Apprenticeships for the bairn

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is exploitation.
Also there would be little chance of being taken on in a full time role. It takes a few weeks to learn the job I do, it only takes 3 months to be qualified as a team leader/management so how would they learn anything to justify being in a position for a year.

I did an admin apprenticeship when I was 18 and to be fair I did learn a fair bit, and most of the kids I was with got taken on by their employers and some are still in the same company 15 years later. I chose to go to uni and followed a science and management degree with my admin knowledge for a career in horse racing admin but that went tits up when I had a bairn instead :lol:

But I've seen waitressing apprenticeships :eek: which is a way of cheap labour and the employers probably get some form of government money for taking them on

Saw an apprenticeship the other day on Facebook to work in a shop and another in a cafe. Do some use the scheme as a way of paying less than the minimum wage for cheap labour?

Not sure where you're based or what you're younguns into but GSK do one. Applications for 2018 start in September.

Massive investment in the barnard castle site with very good benefits.

^ feel free to change my mind unless all you've got is little digs

After all the person this thread is supposed to benefit is the OP, so argue the case for why they're a good thing for his bairn

I think they're exploitative bullshit

We do them at our place. Three years I believe and they are taught all aspects of the business, one day a week college, paid for and a full time job at the end if they pass exams and show willing at work. Plus they have a very current skill with three years experience if they choose to move on.

Some may take the piss, not all.

^ feel free to change my mind unless all you've got is little digs

After all the person this thread is supposed to benefit is the OP, not you
I started my apprenticeship in adminstration back when the wage was at £80 a week. I Progressed all the way through level 2, 3 and 4 apprenticeships with my company, they saw my worth so paid for my degree and now I have more qualifications than I ever thought i could get as well as years and years of experience.

I started my apprenticeship in adminstration back when the wage was at £80 a week. I Progressed all the way through level 2, 3 and 4 apprenticeships with my company, they saw my worth so paid for my degree and now I have more qualifications than I ever thought i could get as well as years and years of experience.
As long as you're doing alright, as that's what's most important.....

Okay, well thanks for that.

Unfortunately the apprentice receptionists, shelf stackers and other really basic service jobs might not find it so easy to progress.

I'm genuinely glad that you have.

If you'd just said that instead of being so aggressive, wouldn't that have been easier?

Hospitality assistant is another one. Laughable! Total utter exploitation

Apprenticeships have changed since April of this year when large companies began to pay a levy of 0.5% of their pay bill which they can only spend on training with registered apprenticeship providers against agreed apprenticeship standards which the government not the employers deem must last at least a year.

They are matched to roles and the expectation is that those recruited into them move into the role on successfully completing the apprenticeship.

Before slagging employers, bear in mind cash strapped councils etc and Sunderland AFC are having money taken off them to pay for this training,

Cruise ship Officer. Work for Carnival/P&O, Disney, Princess or Royal Carribean.

Do it at South Tyneside College, 3 years in total with two 4 month block spells onboard company vessels. Around £10k a year during Apprenticeship, guaranteed job at the end starting on £25k (and she wont pay TAX) working 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off.

They had a canny scheme going in IT at HSBC and one of the lads on the application team I deal with came through it. It was a win win because the get trained up at low cost on rickety old legacy systems that are too expensive to demise and IT grads don't learn the technology in uni. Now there's a new CTO and he's only interested in Agile Dev ops which is an excuse to move roles to India and the apprentices have been left to rot. The lad I work with is still on a trainee role despite managing an application used across the whole bank and they won't give him a promotion

It's the bairns last year at school next year.
She doesnt want to go to 6th form but wants an apprenticeship which I am pleased about.
When is the best time to look and apply for them for next year school ending?
Nissan are taking apprentices on now go on their website for more info

Cruise ship Officer. Work for Carnival/P&O, Disney, Princess or Royal Carribean.

Do it at South Tyneside College, 3 years in total with two 4 month block spells onboard company vessels. Around £10k a year during Apprenticeship, guaranteed job at the end starting on £25k (and she wont pay TAX) working 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off.
cracking that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back