AOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like him and I think he’ll do well for us before the season is out. I want Jones in the side as much as anyone but there’d need to be a change of formation for that to happen right now.

My missus watched the first half, after fifteen minutes she asked who the number ten was then said, he's shite.

I thought she knew nowt about football

Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

the amount of people wanting him dropped is depressing. What are they watching?

I can only assume they don’t like him because of his poor start.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.

Ist half comments on matchday thread sum it all up :lol:

Let's be honest, neither Jones nor Gooch would have scored the headed goal that he got tonight and it's for that reason why he's in the team because he'll get headed goals and he'll poach goals, get in behind and slot goals in.

I was watching the game and genuinely thinking 'what does he offer?'. Then he pops up with a quality header, so fair play to him. And I hope this provides him with a bit if confidence.Not sure about him starting games though long term, sorry.
He's the supporting striker, the false 9 almost, our red herring and tonight showed why. The McGeady/Wyke combination is deadly, so naturally teams will set up to snuff them out of the the game, as Fleetwood tried very hard to do tonight. That's where AOB comes in, he's got a bit more space to operate in and uses our other options including himself.
LJ deserves a lot of credit for tonight's win, tactically excellent and had the bottle to stick with a winning formula.

I’m genuinely shocked by the replies to this. I think he’s been excellent. The ball now sticks, largely because of his close control and his movement provides opportunities for forward passes that we didn’t have before.

I agree i would like to see more of Jones, but surely that would be as a back up to McGeady if he can’t play all the time? He and AOB are nothing alike.
I don’t see Jones as his competition either, it’s him, Gooch or O’Nien in that position for me unless Stewart can fill the role. McGeady, Jones, Gooch and Diamond compete for two wide spots.

He reminds me a bit of Ola Toivonen (albeit one at a much lower level of course).

It’s like he’s decent in the air, relatively physical, not the worst first touch in the world and has a solid track record at previous clubs but at the same he is just not very good. It’s hard to suss out :lol:

Almost made this post on Saturday and didn’t bother, but the lad has been excellent recently at linking play. Puts a good shift in always and today got a goal for his efforts.

Well done to the lad, he’s turned it right around and is probably one of the first names on the team sheet at this point.
Top post

He reminds me a bit of Ola Toivonen (albeit one at a much lower level of course).

It’s like he’s decent in the air, relatively physical, not the worst first touch in the world and has a solid track record at previous clubs but at the same he is just not very good. It’s hard to suss out :lol:
Runs like Don Hutchinson, no further similarities.

I don't think he has enough quality on the ball and to some extent he's shoehorned into this formation.

He's work rate and running of the channels is very good though. He leads the press impressively which allows us to win the ball back in more dangerous positions as well.
His movement for the goal tonight was excellent.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the first name on the team sheet, but I have no objections particularly to him being in the starting 11. He probably tires the opposition out a lot as well which works well for our more skilful types who come off the bench.

Took his goal well, I think he's mainly in the side for his pressing from the front, maybe Johnson doesn't think Jones is disciplined enough to do the job for 90 minutes, especially if we have mcgeady in the same team.
think last 2 games it might be as much for his heading capabilities defending set pieces with CBs out

I’m genuinely shocked by the replies to this. I think he’s been excellent. The ball now sticks, largely because of his close control and his movement provides opportunities for forward passes that we didn’t have before.

I agree i would like to see more of Jones, but surely that would be as a back up to McGeady if he can’t play all the time? He and AOB are nothing alike.
His main problem is not making the RIGHT runs in to the box. Definitely a footballer in there but comes too deep at times. It can be coached though and I’m not writing him off like some.

Took his goal well today. Might be the start of something for him.

And far worse looking. Appears to have regular struggles with a lawnmower and an sunbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back