Anyone use their own car for business driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t have much choice. One was the courtesy car while mine was in the shop. :evil:

I cannot work out why it’s so high. One is down as my fault, as I was opening my door, despite the other bloke being 6 inches from my door, speeding, and driving away from the scene. The other is malicious damage.
But neither were more than a grand. Hopefully they’ll be expunged in a year or so and it will go back down.
How many speeding convictions?

A few at our place do this. You get a car allowance in lieu of a company car.
However, we’ve just been told that any points you may receive outside of work for speeding etc will be considered cause for disciplinary action.
I’m pretty dubious as to the legality of this. Wtf has it got to do with them, unless you get banned and can’t do your job?
There's got to be more to it, shirley? Are they saying that it's a disciplinary matter if you have ANY points on your license? What if the offence pre-dates your employment? What is the disciplinary action? Are you still able to use your car on company business or not if you have a few points on your license? - if not then how are you supposed to do your job, & if yes then what exactly is the purpose of this? It all seems a bit nebulous to me, to use an in-vogue term.
Incidentally I have been in these kind of schemes pretty much for over 20 years now and I've never heard anything like this. Usually the stipulation is that you have a valid license, appropriate business use insurance, and your car conforms to whatever rules they apply on age/type/colour/etc.

Jesus Christ Herb. You aren't actually this stupid, surely?
What stupid?

There's got to be more to it, shirley? Are they saying that it's a disciplinary matter if you have ANY points on your license? What if the offence pre-dates your employment? What is the disciplinary action? Are you still able to use your car on company business or not if you have a few points on your license? - if not then how are you supposed to do your job, & if yes then what exactly is the purpose of this? It all seems a bit nebulous to me, to use an in-vogue term.
Incidentally I have been in these kind of schemes pretty much for over 20 years now and I've never heard anything like this. Usually the stipulation is that you have a valid license, appropriate business use insurance, and your car conforms to whatever rules they apply on age/type/colour/etc.
Don’t know the details yet, but I’ve been told it’s if you get x points over y time period while working for them.

How many speeding convictions?
Just done the quotes again. It’s 700 basic, 880 with the points on, and 940 with the bumps.
So why 700 basic?

Last edited:
A few at our place do this. You get a car allowance in lieu of a company car.
However, we’ve just been told that any points you may receive outside of work for speeding etc will be considered cause for disciplinary action.
I’m pretty dubious as to the legality of this. Wtf has it got to do with them, unless you get banned and can’t do your job?

“ Just been told “ seems to be the important bit , so it’s clearly not in your contract of employment ?

We’re bringing the 3 yo rule in as well. Mine is 12 yo and unless they’re providing finance I won’t be buying a new one.

They are providing you with finance. Its called the car allowance!

3 years is pretty shit mind, but fact is, you are paid an allowance to run a car that fits their car scheme rules.

3 years is pretty shit mind, but fact is, you are paid an allowance to run a car that fits their car scheme rules.
Yes, but if you can’t get finance at a garage it’s gonna take a while to save up enough for a 3 yo car.

It’s far from finance. You’d still have to get accepted fire credit to buy the car unless you’re a cash purchaser.

It’s far from finance. You’d still have to get accepted fire credit to buy the car unless you’re a cash purchaser.
They’re not financing the total cost of the car as it’s not going to be a company asset. What they are doing is contributing to the costs to make it easier for the employees to fund a car

These things are geared up for the lease /PCP type deals so say you were looking at leasing for eg £300/month then the car allowance (less tax as it’s a benefit in kind) goes to offset some of that.

They’re not financing the total cost of the car as it’s not going to be a company asset. What they are doing is contributing to the costs to make it easier for the employees to fund a car

These things are geared up for the lease /PCP type deals so say you were looking at leasing for eg £300/month then the car allowance (less tax as it’s a benefit in kind) goes to offset some of that.
I know what it is and how it works.

But the user needs to get accepted for car finance, something Dave has openly said would be a challenge.

Does your employer actually pay your insurance?
If not how would they even know if you get points?
Employers running these schemes usually require you to submit your license, insurance cert & car reg doc to ensure you comply with the scheme.

Employers running these schemes usually require you to submit your license, insurance cert & car reg doc to ensure you comply with the scheme.
But how would points be a be a matter for your employer it's your own insurance your using g not there's .are they not just paying you to use your own car?

Didn’t have much choice. One was the courtesy car while mine was in the shop. :evil:

I cannot work out why it’s so high. One is down as my fault, as I was opening my door, despite the other bloke being 6 inches from my door, speeding, and driving away from the scene. The other is malicious damage.
But neither were more than a grand. Hopefully they’ll be expunged in a year or so and it will go back down.

Your fault then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back