Anyone use their own car for business driving?

Dave Herbal

Striker
A few at our place do this. You get a car allowance in lieu of a company car.
However, we’ve just been told that any points you may receive outside of work for speeding etc will be considered cause for disciplinary action.
I’m pretty dubious as to the legality of this. Wtf has it got to do with them, unless you get banned and can’t do your job?

However, we’ve just been told that any points you may receive outside of work for speeding etc will be considered cause for disciplinary action.
I’m pretty dubious as to the legality of this. Wtf has it got to do with them, unless you get banned and can’t do your job?
Which policy does it breach?

If you are in business use and caught etc then would have thought it was fair game.

If you are on your own time and not claiming, would have thought it has nothing to do with them.

Could be way off, mind.

Surely if they are paying a car allowance they can put stuff like this in

One place I worked at the car couldn’t be over 3 year old - next place they didn’t give a fuck

Surely if they are paying a car allowance they can put stuff like this in

One place I worked at the car couldn’t be over 3 year old - next place they didn’t give a fuck
We’re bringing the 3 yo rule in as well. Mine is 12 yo and unless they’re providing finance I won’t be buying a new one.

Not speeding is a “Rule for life”, but so is wearing a life jacket near water. Does that mean you can be disciplined for not wearing one down the beach?

I understand the consequences of breaching rules during work time, but in your own time?
Thats my point. I am sure they dont have policy for you to break for speeding in your own vehicle outside of work hours :)

If the OP is caught drink driving it won't matter what the company policy is. :cool:
My gaffer is arguing that even a drink driving ban isn’t their business. Stop the payments in lieu if you can’t use your car anymore, but shouldn’t be a sackable offence.

I wouldn’t be able to get to work so I’d be fucked anyway.

Back