Anyone not seen/spoken to their kids in a long time ?

I've got the flip side

Not seen my dad for about 25 years. Wonder what he's up to or even if he's still alive

Never can quite figure out someone who makes a choice to cut off contact with their kids for no valid reason

My brother made contact with him about 10 years ago via brief phone call. He was with his new family and basically wasn't interested

I've got the flip side

Not seen my dad for about 25 years. Wonder what he's up to or even if he's still alive

Never can quite figure out someone who makes a choice to cut off contact with their kids for no valid reason

My brother made contact with him about 10 years ago via brief phone call. He was with his new family and basically wasn't interested
My Uncle ran off about 30 years ago, leaving my cousin with his Mum. My cousin is 43 now, with his own family and I often wonder how his Dad did that. Just fucked off and never looked back

I've got the flip side

Aye, I’ve not seen my dad since 1989.
I’m quite happy with that though.
It’s always felt too late to correct things for years now.

Recently went through a phase of barely seeing my kids last year though for numerous different reasons really & that absolutely kills me.

Got a message from my daughter who's now 24. I've not seen her since she was 7, she now lives in Portsmouth. Her mum, if you can call her that, is beneath contempt. Sounds daft, but I thought I'd far more happy about finally getting somewhere, instead I actually feel bleedin petrified. Hard to keep a lid on the anger I feel towards her mum n all. 👿
I've never spoken to my Daughter in over 3 years now all down to her twat of a mother filling her head full of shit! She's 15 now! Still has a bedroom in my house still get cards for birthdays and Xmas.... Her mam is a twat!

My son is my best friend, never spoken to him for a couple of years.
It’s killing his mother.
We hope his woman is happy.

Different boat to kids, but I found out I had a sister about 4 years ago. She was 11 and seemed to want to get to know me so I cracked on. Couldn't afford to give her a tenner and take her out for food the weekend before pay day so she blocked me on everything. No surprise really, her mams one of the stereotypical dole bums.

She tried to add me back on Facebook about a year back. However selfish it might seem, I'm not entertaining it.
She’s 11

Not yet, I'm not gonna push it. I don't want to come across as some overly-keen nutjob. I've said my piece, it's up to her now
I think you're going the right way about it.

My dad wasn't around much when I was a kid, me and my brother used to get "your dad should be doing this, your dad should be doing that" off me mam. Went through a little phase of catching up for a pint with him when I got older and one time he put his side across. Was about 15 year ago and I'm probably processing it now :lol:

I often think fair play to him for not getting involved in any tit-for-tat stuff at a time when kids are pretty impressionable, but me mam's tales with nothing to balance it out did the relationship we have no favours.

My nana's dad walked out on his family in the 50s, left her mam to raise six of them. I'll sometimes wonder if people cut off contact as the easy way out when it comes to guilt or regret, but it's next level stuff to leave six kids in poverty and never see them again.

I've not spoken to my Dad in approximately 4 years. I won't go into specifics but suffice to say, I don't care if I ever see him again. Ive reached the stage of life whereby I don't need to surround myself with people I don't like, and that includes family. I won't even attend his funeral.

I've not spoken to my Dad in approximately 4 years. I won't go into specifics but suffice to say, I don't care if I ever see him again. Ive reached the stage of life whereby I don't need to surround myself with people I don't like, and that includes family. I won't even attend his funeral.
Never saw my old man for years,he had few paternal feelings if any, he died a couple of years ago, I never went to the cremation, didn't affect me when I heard of his passing.

Just seen this thread now.
Good luck mate.
It must be a shock for you and fair play to your daughter for reaching out.
As people have said, slowly slowly getting to know her properly.
You have missed a lot of her life, but she is young, and there is so much more ahead.

Again, good luck

Shouldn't have FB then should she.
If we're playing by the rules here. I'm pretty sure most social media platforms don't allow minors
I think slightly different emotional rules apply to 11 year olds, but maybe thats just me. The kid in question seems to made a life changing discovery, so she could maybe be excused for going in a little paddy (which 11 year olds tend to do from time to time)

I cant comprehend not wanting to see my dad or other family for that matter so its hard for me to understand this.

But fair play to you for sticking to your guns if he has upset you and not shown remorse etc
also, i wonder if this thread has any unknown links

Father not seen son for X years
Son not seen father X years

Last edited:
Got a message from my daughter who's now 24. I've not seen her since she was 7, she now lives in Portsmouth. Her mum, if you can call her that, is beneath contempt. Sounds daft, but I thought I'd far more happy about finally getting somewhere, instead I actually feel bleedin petrified. Hard to keep a lid on the anger I feel towards her mum n all. 👿
With my daughter I saw her when she was 2 and then not again until last year just after her 22nd birthday. Some of the shit she had been told over the years was shocking. I was terrified when I met up with her last year but it was totally worth it. Good luck, and I hope you get the result/relationship you want. It's never too late!

Back