Anyone had problem with rats

Kid at work had a problem that stemmed from his neighbours loft. He said the rat catcher reckoned the rats were living in the loft off of the mice they caught.

Oooh look at me, look at me.
Couldn't pick last years olive crop because we weren't allowed to take the harvest to the mill cos of Covid restrictions and strict lock down.
So the olives just fell and the rats (tree rats in this case but they are the same genus) had a continuous feast day and within 2 months we were overrun in the outhouses, the wood shed and out on the land.
Impudent faukers. Huge things. Beautiful with their exclusively olive fed coats, and very little fear of humans being out in the wilds.
Our three dogs, two of them terriers, were frantic but not much use. Tried traps with peanut butter not much better. Seemed to suss them out very quickly.
Then, and I believe you can get this in the UK if you go through Amazon, we used this poison called Ratibrom 2 and I set up stations on their runs, you can spot these by the trails of droppings, and within 10-14 days there was such an obvious drop in population.

When i lived over Newcastle Road way there was problems when they knocked the baths down..everyone was getting them in their back gardens and houses.

They say if you can fit a biro through a hole a mouse will get through it. I blocked up all of my holes (oo er) with wire wool after having a minor mouse problem which sorted the problem. Then I caught a baby getting under the kitchen cupboards that I could barely get a sheet of paper under. I think more people have them than they realise to be honest.

Is the right answer . Caught a shew in the shed yesterday, re-set the trap and it had a mouse in it this morning .
I once told a friend on here who's pet hamster had escaped, and wouldn't return to it's cage, to put some peanut butter in it's cage.
The hamster had been laying low for a couple of days but within minutes of the peanut butter being put in it's cage the hamster couldn't resist, and returned to it's cage, and was captured. 👍

It depends on the level of infestation but if it’s less prevalent than the OP‘s case, those waxy square tablets you can get from Amazon or Wilko usually do the trick. You would put them in the ‘run’ areas inside or outside the house.

Two doses about ten days apart seem to be the thing to do.

Back