Anyone got a Persimmon house.

Ffs got a meeting on Sunday with view to buying a Persimmon house at Sherburn Villiage. Might not bother now, what's anyone thoughts before I spend 160k on some shite?
Go for it. You won't regret it man! (I've just spent £185K). We can meet over Durham somewhere for a pint, talk about our houses made of Lego, Balsa wood and cardboard. Shit pipes not connected, no fire prevention, scratched windows, dropped doors, blocked drains, flooded gardens. Put warning signs in our windows and leave our phones on auto dial to get the snagging done.....haha

Yeah and they have to work to nhbc mix standards for above and below ground.
Most have a silo on site nowadays from Tarmac and the like
Mind you NHBC don't come out of this well, just what do they do for their money ?
BBA has been shown up a nothing more than a money making scheme by Grenfell

Go for it. You won't regret it man! (I've just spent £185K). We can meet over Durham somewhere for a pint, talk about our houses made of Lego, Balsa wood and cardboard. Shit pipes not connected, no fire prevention, scratched windows, dropped doors, blocked drains, flooded gardens. Put warning signs in our windows and leave our phones on auto dial to get the snagging done.....haha
I stopped reading at going for a pint, sounds class I'm in!

Mind you NHBC don't come out of this well, just what do they do for their money ?
From just a customer perspective, the NHBC were no help at all and offered nothing. Some of the standards that need to be met were laughable from memory. Industry and working practices as a whole seem unregulated.

They're a pain tbh but they do tend to follow a lot of for buyers, albeit sometimes very slowly.
They are normally pretty thorough on checks during construction though, in my experience anyway.
Same as a lot of things though there will be good inspectors and not so good.

Is your house the ones in Hetton next to the Park Estate?
Ffs got a meeting on Sunday with view to buying a Persimmon house at Sherburn Villiage. Might not bother now, what's anyone thoughts before I spend 160k on some shite?
Canny little spot that.

Last edited:
They're a pain tbh but they do tend to follow a lot of for buyers, albeit sometimes very slowly.
They are normally pretty thorough on checks during construction though, in my experience anyway.
Same as a lot of things though there will be good inspectors and not so good.
Very true, I met them at their head office and they were impressive and said all the right things, falls apart if the local bloke is a tit though

Leasehold or freehold?

Some massive ripping off going on with leasehold ATM
We recently looked at a Redrow development down in Sussex. Looked great. ‘Freehold’. But we were put off by the management service charge. Basically, the communal areas were unadopted by Mid Sussex council and therefore payment of management charges by residents was written into the Deed of Transfer. The comfort we were given was that the charge was currently de minimis and that the management company would be owned by the residents (approximately 210 house site) so the residents would have control over the charges. Sounded far too risky to me.

Also, there were extensive RCs. Although some of those do protect you as owner (nuisance from neighbours etc.) and the silly covenants are probably never enforced (but theoretically could be).
Don’t think £115 is to bad. But council should refund some council tax..

Aye. They own their own but has good reviews and similar price. They also own their own brickwork and tile manufacturers so trying to keep everything in house.
£115 now, but these charges can go up, effectively at the management company’s discretion

Last edited:
We recently looked at a Redrow development down in Sussex. Looked great. ‘Freehold’. But we were put off by the management service charge. Basically, the communal areas were unadopted by Mid Sussex council and therefore payment of management charges by residents was written into the Deed of Transfer. The comfort we were given was that the charge was currently de minimis and that the management company would be owned by the residents (approximately 210 house site) so the residents would have control over the charges. Sounded far too risky to me.

Also, there were extensive RCs. Although some of those do protect you as owner (nuisance from neighbours etc.) and the silly covenants are probably never enforced (but theoretically could be).

£115 now, but these charges can go up, effectively at the management company’s discretion

Where are moving to the charge is around £600pa

Yeah. £114 were I am. Bit of a gripe considering I doubt they’ll be maintaining the grass and ponds (building site) for the next few years. I know some on some sights who won’t pay it.

I’d not buy a new build on the basis of the service charge. £25k a month in service charge from all houses, that’s laughable that when you think about it. £300k a year to do the bare minimum.

House where we are moving has a service charge of about £150 a year. This is already being questioned by residents so can see them taking control of it if there’s ever an opportunity.

I’d not buy a new build on the basis of the service charge. £25k a month in service charge from all houses, that’s laughable that when you think about it. £300k a year to do the bare minimum.

We get the landscaping maintained and there’s a security cabin with ANPR and security patrols around the estate. There’s also a mini bus into the nearest town free of charge. Well, not free, but part of the service.

We get the landscaping maintained and there’s a security cabin with ANPR and security patrols around the estate. There’s also a mini bus into the nearest town free of charge. Well, not free, but part of the service.
Aye, you need it though living in the s***thole. 😎😂

It’s good to see where the VFM comes in. On top of your council tax though, it’d still wrangle with me.

House where we are moving has a service charge of about £150 a year. This is already being questioned by residents so can see them taking control of it if there’s ever an opportunity.
I would tread very carefully. The people in the Industry make those involved in the Super League seem like moral philosophers.

Is it a leasehold House? If so I would seriously reconsider.

I've spent 3 years trying to buy the lease on my house after the conveyancing solicitor decided not to bother identifying the lease at the point of purchase.

Now I've just learned that the national leaders in the legal acquisition of leaseholds have taken 3 years of money from me whilst doing nothing.

They put themselves into liquidation last week so I've lost everything and am back at square one.

And they are the people who are meant to be on my side.

Caveat emptor as these posh people say once they've got your cash.

I would tread very carefully. The people in the Industry make those involved in the Super League seem like moral philosophers.

Is it a leasehold House? If so I would seriously reconsider.

I've spent 3 years trying to buy the lease on my house after the conveyancing solicitor decided not to bother identifying the lease at the point of purchase.

Now I've just learned that the national leaders in the legal acquisition of leaseholds have taken 3 years of money from me whilst doing nothing.

They put themselves into liquidation last week so I've lost everything and am back at square one.

And they are the people who are meant to be on my side.

Caveat emptor as these posh people say once they've got your cash.
House is a new build so freehold.

Back