Anyone been back to the gym?

What’s membership cost there ?

I got a years membership off our lass for xmas mate so not sure. Usually use Raich Carter or Hetton. Iirc I think it's around £25-30 a month and you can use any of the everyone active facilities in the area. I take the bairn swimming a lot too so more than get my moneys worth

Went back yesterday.

No booking as its not a commercial/chain place that gets heaving.

Just sign in and sign out with times, leave your name and number for tracing. Cleaning materials dotted about all over to wipe down equipment. In through the front door, out through the shutter doors at the back.

Its a big space and the squat racks had a decent space between them anyway so they haven't needed much remodelling.

Only four in when I went.

DW Fitness is fairly busy but not packed, they also take your temperature as you enter. Their hand sanitizer smells like sweaty feet, so will start taking my own.

Been to the JD gym at Washington twice so far. I’ve only just joined so don’t know how busy it got beforehand but I’m enjoying how it is at the minute.

The annoying thing for me is how all these gyms are making a huge thing of cleaning materials. I was a member of a gym about 10 years ago that provided the same stuff and I assumed every gym was the same. I was genuinely surprised it was actually unusual for a gym to provide sprays etc.

Last edited:
Been to the JD gym at Washington twice so far. I’ve only just joined so don’t know how busy it got beforehand but I’m enjoying how it is at the minute.

The annoying thing for me is how all these gyms are making a huge thing of cleaning materials. I was a member of a gym about 10 years ago that provided the same stuff and I assumed every gym was the same. I was genuinely surprised it was actually unusual for a gym to provide sprays etc.
JD was a no go around 5-7pm on a Monday night. Was crammed to the point where you couldn’t focus on one muscle group you just had to go on what you could.

The parking was pretty bad too, arseholes who are going to the gym but can’t be arsed to walk from a non-disabled parking bay did my tits in.

Its good JD like, Sunday afternoon is dead, it’s the best time of the week.

JD was a no go around 5-7pm on a Monday night. Was crammed to the point where you couldn’t focus on one muscle group you just had to go on what you could.

The parking was pretty bad too, arseholes who are going to the gym but can’t be arsed to walk from a non-disabled parking bay did my tits in.

I’ve been going to one in Washington and it’s sound in the morning like. Get on anything you want and doesn’t start to get busy until after 11am.

Are you aware that JD have taken over exercise4less? They’ve closed the Sunderland branch and transferred all willing members to JD Trimdon Street. Completely idiotic decision imo.

I spoke to the manger yesterday and he said that Monday evening was quiet which you’ve just confirmed is lies. He reckoned Monday 11-2 was like a Monday night in January. I was there yesterday about 2.30-ish and wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I’m going to play it by ear for now but I can’t see transferring all those people being anything other than detrimental.

Are you aware that JD have taken over exercise4less? They’ve closed the Sunderland branch and transferred all willing members to JD Trimdon Street. Completely idiotic decision imo.

I spoke to the manger yesterday and he said that Monday evening was quiet which you’ve just confirmed is lies. He reckoned Monday 11-2 was like a Monday night in January. I was there yesterday about 2.30-ish and wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I’m going to play it by ear for now but I can’t see transferring all those people being anything other than detrimental.
I didn’t mean this Monday gone was busy. I wasn’t there this week, just mean a Monday in general. And I use the washy one.
Having said that, I don’t like the idea of gyms bringing in new members at the minute. It just doesn’t feel right. I certainly wouldn’t like it if some failed gym transferred their members to Washington as it’s busy enough to start with.

I didn’t mean this Monday gone was busy. I wasn’t there this week, just mean a Monday in general. And I use the washy one.
Having said that, I don’t like the idea of gyms bringing in new members at the minute. It just doesn’t feel right. I certainly wouldn’t like it if some failed gym transferred their members to Washington as it’s busy enough to start with.
Ah sorry, got the wrong end of the stick.

Loads in today not bothering to wipe down equipment. Shame, as I'd been impressed by people's attention to cleaning stuff until today. I suppose more and more people will slip out of these new habits as time goes on.

Loads in today not bothering to wipe down equipment. Shame, as I'd been impressed by people's attention to cleaning stuff until today. I suppose more and more people will slip out of these new habits as time goes on.
Must admit I've been making sure to clean down everything after use, but I have been half way through a set on my next exercise before remembering that I hadn't cleaned the machine/weights/whatever that I'd just finished on. Not intentional but I know that people will have decided that I'm a lazy covid-spreading bastard.

Must admit I've been making sure to clean down everything after use, but I have been half way through a set on my next exercise before remembering that I hadn't cleaned the machine/weights/whatever that I'd just finished on. Not intentional but I know that people will have decided that I'm a lazy covid-spreading bastard.
I almost forgot once today, but I watched this lass move from machine to machine without cleaning anything. What do you do in that situation? Say something or not? I want to make sure machines are safe for others but I don't want to make a scene for the staff if it goes tits up.

I almost forgot once today, but I watched this lass move from machine to machine without cleaning anything. What do you do in that situation? Say something or not? I want to make sure machines are safe for others but I don't want to make a scene for the staff if it goes tits up.
I’m of the opinion, and disagree if needed, that you cannot rely on others to clean down after use so you clean it yourself before use. I always wipe down my equipment after use but that, to me, is just normal gym etiquette. For the purposes of Covid, though, if everyone cleans equipment before use then there is no confusion whatsoever. Either you’ve cleaned it for yourself. Or someone who goes on and doesn’t clean it doesn’t give a fuck either way and it is them who is using a piece of equipment at their risk. Same with going to the supermarket and getting a trolley.

Went back today. Some filthy sweaty kernt didn’t even wipe down the bench after using it. During the break I see no one’s worked out how to put plates back either, might go full roundhouse next time.

At PureGym in Newcastle today. Really good. 31 people in out of 101 was really strange everyone cleaned after themselves and there was a hotty doing squats.
I’m of the opinion, and disagree if needed, that you cannot rely on others to clean down after use so you clean it yourself before use. I always wipe down my equipment after use but that, to me, is just normal gym etiquette. For the purposes of Covid, though, if everyone cleans equipment before use then there is no confusion whatsoever. Either you’ve cleaned it for yourself. Or someone who goes on and doesn’t clean it doesn’t give a fuck either way and it is them who is using a piece of equipment at their risk. Same with going to the supermarket and getting a trolley.

Sound logic

Last edited:
I’ve adopted this approach. Clean whatever I’m using before and after use. Not worth trying to shame anyone who doesn’t bother cos a lot of people are too ignorant to care. The same people who don’t clean the equipment are the same ones who will
Shamelessly stand infront of the mirror in the changing rooms taking selfies for social media. Absolutely zero self awareness.

Back