Anybody still paying for things they can't use/access?

Parkdean Caravan Park, about £125 pw rent for the site and the park is shut down, has been for over a week now and I can't see it opening any time soon. We gave a full refund to people who had booked it over Easter so atm it's just a money pit.

Council tax and no longer getting the green bin emptied

Tesco delivery subscription. Looks like you need to be online at midnight to get a slot and their servers are struggling to cope. I was finishing shopping for out last delivery approaching midnight and everything ground to a halt. I don’t know if I can be arsed sitting up late to get a slot. There are a few local companies who usually deliver to restaurants now doing home veg delivery. I think I might use them and pop to the small local store for the other odd bits like cleaning stuff.

still paying mine but going to cancel if i get furloughed
You would hope they do a scheme which only means you pay 80% of your subs whilst you are furloughed. Suspending them will not do any good as people won’t be able to afford a large payment.

Not getting a refund on the golf club subs, but it needs the money and it won't be able to keep their head above water over summer if it had to pay everyone back.
Council tax and no longer getting the green bin emptied
At all? Where do you live?

National Trust
English Heritage
Bairns karate lessons x 2, but he's putting on remote classes via zoom so better than nowt
Bairns guitar lessons via the school paid for in advance
Apparently everyone active are suspending direct debits for the kids swimming, which is canny as thats another £40 a month

Odeon cinema pass, is fully paid for, they said contact them when it runs out and they'll see if they extend it.
Bairns football subs.

Dint nar why you can't play golf when theres a hundred people spread over 150 acres like?
he struggle`s when its empty let alone a few people, he is his own handicap :lol:
Still the bairns music school subs, just renewed my Angling membership for the club waters. There`s a bit of debate whether licences should be re imbursed by the EA but for the sake of £30 i don`t think it`s worth the fuss

Last edited:
Still paying for gym but he's loaned me some equipment and he's putting workouts online.

Son has to still pay the rent on his uni digs even though he's living here now. They said he can get out of the rent agreement but they'll charge him £500 to remove all the stuff in his room and put it in storage, then a cleaning fee depending on how much work needs doing. He wants to keep the same room next year so he's just going to keep paying the rent.

Teeside uni said anyone who moves out before the 27th April wouldn't have to pay rent for the last term, which I thought was decent of them, they sent the email a couple of days before the lockdown, so there was a mass exodus of students on the Sunday and Monday. Luckily my daughter moved out the Monday, we got home about 7.30, lockdown started an hour later. That was Halls though so probably different if it was accommodation not provided by the uni.

Gym club and coach fees, kick boxing instructor fees, private tutor fees( although he’s still setting work and Skyping, and piano teacher fees, again Skyping
Bit Shan cancelling them as this is how the clubs and people make their crust and upkeep of the buildings.
If everyone cancels everything (obviously cancel if they can’t afford) none of these things will be there afterwards

Last edited:
Teeside uni said anyone who moves out before the 27th April wouldn't have to pay rent for the last term, which I thought was decent of them, they sent the email a couple of days before the lockdown, so there was a mass exodus of students on the Sunday and Monday. Luckily my daughter moved out the Monday, we got home about 7.30, lockdown started an hour later. That was Halls though so probably different if it was accommodation not provided by the uni.

It's a privately owned building who rent to students that he's in. It's still open and some students are still living there.

He played it well! When he was looking around, he noticed the corner rooms are massive so he requested one of those. They get a bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom and they provide a bed, wardrobe, drawers and a desk. He's managed to pick up a freebie sofa that someone was throwing out, took a storage unit and shelving unit from home and bought a coffee table. It's more like a bedsit now and he doesn't want to lose his big room as he wouldn't get the sofa in a standard room!

Social gathering aspect I expect. People hanging round the first tee and so forth.

I would have thought it would be one of the first things allowed back after lockdown mind, albeit with restrictions.
So what happens if you become ill or have an accident during your round, would you expect an ambulance from an already stretched emergency service to attend?

Boat yard/mooring fees, they are giving some discount but you have to come up with the full year up front to get it so far, I’ve asked them if I can pay monthly & still get the discount.

It's a privately owned building who rent to students that he's in. It's still open and some students are still living there.

He played it well! When he was looking around, he noticed the corner rooms are massive so he requested one of those. They get a bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom and they provide a bed, wardrobe, drawers and a desk. He's managed to pick up a freebie sofa that someone was throwing out, took a storage unit and shelving unit from home and bought a coffee table. It's more like a bedsit now and he doesn't want to lose his big room as he wouldn't get the sofa in a standard room!

Sounds similar to the Halls daughter was in, she got the end room, which was big, same basic furniture as you mention, plus a toilet/shower, but a large shared kitchen between 8.
They are still open, mainly because there are a lot of foreign students who couldn't travel home, but pretty much everyone who could go home, did. For those getting student finance it meant they got an extra £1200 or so, as they didn't have to pay the rent, so a no brainer really for them. She's already been allocated her room for next year in a new building they are building at the moment (assuming it gets finished), so no worries for her about keeping the room or anything :)

Back