Anybody cut their grass yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I last cut mine at the beginning of November. It's barely grown since. It's actually turned a little bit yellow. I think I might have killed it!

Think thats a bit late by not giving it time to recover. Grass most vulnerable to diseases over winter. I would stick some ferts down see if you can give it a boost.
Grass will grow 12 degrees amd above

Yep, did it Sunday. Looks lush. Hardly any moss this year, kept treating with iron sulphate over winter.

I had a nightmare with moss last year. Moved into new house and front garden was in the shade due to a tree. Ended up cutting tree down and had bags and bags of the stuff. Took me to pretty much take it right back and reseed. Was on my hand and knees at points pulling it out :lol:

Plus daylight is getting longer now.

Yeah. Now isnt a bad time but i would leave another week just in case we do get a short frost. Will be setting the robot off soon for first cut and then start first fert of the year along with some overseed to replennish any patches

Last edited:
I’m planning to scarify the lawns over this weekend and treat them with lawn sand. Allow a couple of weeks more growth before a cut.

The sand work well? One thing i havent tried. I find the best ferts are the liquid mix,the cheap stuff from wilkos works a treat. Better than any evergreen. Had back garden looking like a pitch.

Fake grass! :cool:

Loads have it now but most of the time it looks awful. There is one house near me where it does look real. Only one ive seen worth getting

Last edited:
The sand work well? One thing i havent tried. I find the best ferts are the liquid mix,the cheap stuff from wilkos works a treat. Better than any evergreen. Had back garden looking like a pitch.

When I moved into my current house, the lawns were suffering from moss growth. I was advised to use lawn sand and over a period of a few years the moss was definitely in decline. I didn’t sand last year and it’s came back, so I’d say yes. It’s a worthwhile task.

Loads have it now but most of the time it looks awful. There is one house near me where it does look real. Only one ive seen worth getting
Like most things, buy the cheap stuff and it looks shit, pay a few quid and it looks decent. Been a godsend with the dog and kids, the garden had shit drainage so the lawn was always fucked.

Plus I’m a lazy twat, the front garden still needs doing...until I get the money to pave it over! :lol:

have you got any advice on go to places to do some reading on getting it like this? I want to be more prepared this year than I have been over the last few years.

My front lawn is always quite nice, but that is south facing and doesn't get walked on at all. Only maintenance that gets is a regular cut.

My back garden, however, is the complete opposite. Obviously north facing doesn't help. It's had a problem with flooding over the years so last spring I fitted a sump pump so that's no longer an issue. There are some bald patches and some patches where there has been moss growth. I tried re-seeding those bits last year but I must have done it totally wrong because they didn't take and it made no difference. It also doesn't help that it is walked on when we are out the back and we have 3 spaniels doing their business out there.

Can I ask, if I cut it today then we get snow and frost what damage that will do to the grass ?
I always thought you could cut grass anytime on a high setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back