Anybody cut their grass yet?

When I moved into my current house, the lawns were suffering from moss growth. I was advised to use lawn sand and over a period of a few years the moss was definitely in decline. I didn’t sand last year and it’s came back, so I’d say yes. It’s a worthwhile task.

I used moss killer last year. Turned it all black (most of the lawn) then pick it all out. Will do it again about april

have you got any advice on go to places to do some reading on getting it like this? I want to be more prepared this year than I have been over the last few years.

My front lawn is always quite nice, but that is south facing and doesn't get walked on at all. Only maintenance that gets is a regular cut.

My back garden, however, is the complete opposite. Obviously north facing doesn't help. It's had a problem with flooding over the years so last spring I fitted a sump pump so that's no longer an issue. There are some bald patches and some patches where there has been moss growth. I tried re-seeding those bits last year but I must have done it totally wrong because they didn't take and it made no difference. It also doesn't help that it is walked on when we are out the back and we have 3 spaniels doing their business out there.

I used a website think it was lawnsmiths? I'll have a look for it. If you walk after seeding it will knack the shoots. Keep it very damp. Mix the seeds in with some top soil when you put down and then fert

Last edited:
Can I ask, if I cut it today then we get snow and frost what damage that will do to the grass ?
I always thought you could cut grass anytime on a high setting.

Grass is vulnerable in frost. Disease can set in. Even walking on it in frost can be harmful so cutting then a frost just after wont do it any favours

Like most things, buy the cheap stuff and it looks shit, pay a few quid and it looks decent. Been a godsend with the dog and kids, the garden had shit drainage so the lawn was always fucked.

Plus I’m a lazy twat, the front garden still needs doing...until I get the money to pave it over! :lol:

Franks has loads of selection now like. Have about 20 different kinds

Grow a pair , hold your nerve and wait til back end of March , very mild at moment but all it takes is one week of wintry weather

This. Extra bit of time gives it a chance to fight back naturally. All takes time with lawns. Mine only looked nice from august. Took all year from it looking really bad.

Had trampoline last year and thats gone now so will have to seed and sort that patch out

Last edited:
Was going to put some turf down next week. Am I wasting my time this time of year?

We put lawn down two weeks ago. The people that we used were of the opinion it’s fine, so long as you keep off it. If it’s too cold, the roots will lay dormant in the turf until it warms up.

As it stands, ours has taken root already and looks to be showing some growth too. It’s still a little soft underfoot but this time of year is a great time to let it just crack on as you’ll not typically spend too much time in the garden. Ready for spring!

We put lawn down two weeks ago. The people that we used were of the opinion it’s fine, so long as you keep off it. If it’s too cold, the roots will lay dormant in the turf until it warms up.

As it stands, ours has taken root already and looks to be showing some growth too. It’s still a little soft underfoot but this time of year is a great time to let it just crack on as you’ll not typically spend too much time in the garden. Ready for spring!
Spring starts in 6 days so not long to wait :cool: (though at 16 degrees today it has sprung already, next weekend will probably be cut #2 of the year!)

Back