Any HGV Drivers

40 tonne juggernauts hurtling down the streets, driverless cars killing people, cost of technology versus cost of driver and some Fookas still got to work the joystick......so where's the benefit

Mebbes if they have big road trains at night only.....

I've always wondered why we don't make all HGV's just drive at night....

You do realise that virtually every major engineering advancement in history was pre-dated by people saying it wouldn't/couldn't happen? Space travel, aeroplanes etc. They have drones in the air carrying missiles now. Teslas virtually drive themselves.

When I did my last CPC there was a Rep from VOSA sitting in to get a bit of feedback about how drivers feel they get treated on the road.
Had some canny arguments with the fella and we got on the subject of driverless vehicles.
His answer was the only way they could have driverless vehicles would be to change the whole of the road system in the UK....that aint going to happen.
There are a couple of Airports that use them but they are only good for a short trip and if something goes across its sensors it shuts down.

Its not going to happen any time soon

With respect mate, a rep from VOSA is just one opinion and they aren't a tech orientated company who also happen to have a vested interest in the training of human drivers. A lot of the pessimism around the topic comes from pro drivers and the refusal to accept that a computer could replicate what they do.

Last edited:

Before I moved to Oz, I always thought that driving a road train across the Australian outback would be a cool thing to do.
Then after moving here I figured out why most of the drivers manage to stay awake for so long and it was nothing to do with having a good nights sleep the night before.

You do realise that virtually every major engineering advancement in history was pre-dated by people saying it wouldn't/couldn't happen? Space travel, aeroplanes etc. They have drones in the air carrying missiles now. Teslas virtually drive themselves.

With respect mate, a rep from VOSA is just one opinion and they aren't a tech orientated company who also happen to have a vested interest in the training of human drivers. A lot of the pessimism around the topic comes from pro drivers and the refusal to accept that a computer could replicate what they do.
Dan, might have mentioned it before, have been at nissan for 31 years and the technology gulf between then and now is like night and day. The technology is almost there now i believe, one thing with car manufactures is that in nearly all cases they will get something you thought impossible,, to bloody well work. Its coming, i firmly believe it will happen The only thing that will slow it down is peoples reluctantce to accept it. Imo.

I’d try and go down the tanker route if owt happens with my job at Nissan ,
Got a mate that drives for industrial chemicals in jarrow and he says it’s good but the new boss won’t touch anyone without tanker experience.
Might have to drive sludge tanker for Northumbria water via an agency to get a bit tanker experience

Tankers are a doddle once you're used to them. same as anything though, you need a bit training before you're let loose. I wouldn't know where to start with transporters.
The nw seems a decent enough job but it's the smell that'd stop me. We used to go in bran sands at teesport and it was horrendous.
We go into the battery plant at nissan now and then. They're a canny set of lads.

Dan, might have mentioned it before, have been at nissan for 31 years and the technology gulf between then and now is like night and day. The technology is almost there now i believe, one thing with car manufactures is that in nearly all cases they will get something you thought impossible,, to bloody well work. Its coming, i firmly believe it will happen The only thing that will slow it down is peoples reluctantce to accept it. Imo.
I think the only thing slowing it down is who will get sued in case of catastrophe.

Agree on all points mate. I see buses and trucks going first as the big "win" if you want to call it that is that companies wont need to pay drivers, with cars you are going there anyway so its less attractive. Potentially far safer if they get it right like. I'm sure most accidents are down to human error so if you take the human out of the equation I can see insurance companies lapping it up as well.

Cheers for all the feedback and what not, I’ve got a few grand saved away and parents are willing to fund the rest and I pay them back, as I said I’d heard horror stories from the job but heard some good from mainly the younger drivers, they all seem to think that the older ones only moan and complain because they can’t get away with the shite they used to before the rules and regulations.

Cheers for all the feedback and what not, I’ve got a few grand saved away and parents are willing to fund the rest and I pay them back, as I said I’d heard horror stories from the job but heard some good from mainly the younger drivers, they all seem to think that the older ones only moan and complain because they can’t get away with the shite they used to before the rules and regulations.

The rules & regs are a good thing imo. Keeps a level playing field amongst operators and stops bent running. I've done some dodgy stuff but only to suit myself, not the bosses.

Tankers are a doddle once you're used to them. same as anything though, you need a bit training before you're let loose. I wouldn't know where to start with transporters.
The nw seems a decent enough job but it's the smell that'd stop me. We used to go in bran sands at teesport and it was horrendous.
We go into the battery plant at nissan now and then. They're a canny set of lads.

I think the only thing slowing it down is who will get sued in case of catastrophe.
Armageddon beckons !!! Nah, disagree with you their mate, its humans that are fuckwits on the road. Only a hour ago some goon has taken the back can and mirror glass off my vehicle as couldn’t judge a narrow road.

I've just moved back into an office job due to health reasons but I'd thoroughly recommend HGV drving. I did it on and off for 30 years. You can earn £40k + if you get the right tickets and get a start with a decent company.

Old thread marra, but I’ve been looking in to this too.

How did you get on?

Before I moved to Oz, I always thought that driving a road train across the Australian outback would be a cool thing to do.
Then after moving here I figured out why most of the drivers manage to stay awake for so long and it was nothing to do with having a good nights sleep the night before.
What was it to do with?

Driverless trucks aren’t a long way off. If you are young I’d do something else.
Never going to happen. An Airbus or Boeing could be programmed to fly several thousand miles but they need pilots for the small chance that something goes wrong. There will not be 30+ tonne artic trucks driving themselves around Britains roads without a human being on board. Not in 5 years time and probably not ever.

Last edited:

Back