Any Benefits to Me Getting An Irish Passport?

I have travelled with my best mate alot and she has a British passport and I have an Irish one. Big difference on how you are treated in other countries... more favourably for the Irish passport.
Such as? I’ve never really seen anyone get treated any different.

You specifically said Romanian passport. UK passport gives visa free access to 154 countries and ranks 27th in the VisaGuide.World rankings. Romania has 143 visa free counties and ranks 36th. Ergo your statement is false. Travelling globally is still pretty easy on a UK passport and having to get my passport stamped in Europe is no inconvenience. Indeed once countries all start going biometric (like UAE) you will be able to walk through an e-gate without even using a passport and there will be no difference whatsoever at immigration for most people.
This visa free access you mention. Does it give you the right to live, work or retire in the countries you referred to? The Romanian passport gives you that right in every EU country.

3rd

Depends on how many of those 192 countries you want to visit. A passport which gives unlimited travel and the right to work in the EU/EEA sounds a lot more useful.

This visa free access you mention. Does it give you the right to live, work or retire in the countries you referred to? The Romanian passport gives you that right in every EU country.
I remember thinking that my kids had it all, they could live and work anywhere in the EU or the USA. Then the gammons ruined it for sovereignty.

That’s not what you said though. You said British passport was worth less than a Romanian one. That’s only true in the context of wanting to use rights afforded as part of being in the EU and not travelling generally. That is important context and on the global stage a British Passport is more valuable than a Romanian one.

Such as? I’ve never really seen anyone get treated any different.

Most particularly going into America, she gets her luggage all ripped out and searched while I chat on about things to see etc
Cuba they showed a clear preference also and Africa when getting cash changed up and our passports stamped.
Italy seems to have a pretty low opinion of young English girls on holiday while Irish girls are welcomed warmly... same as Spain etc

Most particularly going into America, she gets her luggage all ripped out and searched while I chat on about things to see etc
Cuba they showed a clear preference also and Africa when getting cash changed up and our passports stamped.
Italy seems to have a pretty low opinion of young English girls on holiday while Irish girls are welcomed warmly... same as Spain etc
Never ever noticed it. I must be lucky. Also I’m not a young English girl so this may be another bias. White male privilege here.

I think your mate must just look a bit suspect. Nothing to do with her passport 🤣

That’s not what you said though. You said British passport was worth less than a Romanian one. That’s only true in the context of wanting to use rights afforded as part of being in the EU and not travelling generally. That is important context and on the global stage a British Passport is more valuable than a Romanian one.
So for tourists the British passport is slightly better but for other much more significant rights in our own continent it's much worse. A bitter pill for young people who have lost those EU rights or people like myself who planned to retire to the EU and now cannot. And I'll say again, if we hadn't left we'd have had both the EU benefits and the British passport ones.

Never ever noticed it. I must be lucky. Also I’m not a young English girl so this may be another bias. White male privilege here.
Well in Spain for sure I think it is to do with English tourists in general but maybe girls get a more contemptuous reputation.
Irish tourists just seem to be more welcome generally.... in America the bias was the most stark though

I think your mate must just look a bit suspect. Nothing to do with her passport 🤣
Well the downside of an Irish passport used to be coming back into this country, I'd get a load of hassle until our Muslim brothers took the baton.

My mate is very friendly and lovely so don't think it is that.

Well in Spain for sure I think it is to do with English tourists in general but maybe girls get a more contemptuous reputation.
Irish tourists just seem to be more welcome generally.... in America the bias was the most stark though
Never seen an issue in Spain, and I worked there for a good while. Well expect for when I got slapped around and taxed by a copper in Magaluf. But I probably half deserved that.

Never seen an issue in Spain, and I worked there for a good while. Well expect for when I got slapped around and taxed by a copper in Magaluf. But I probably half deserved that.
it was enough to piss her off, so definitely a thing, but maybe noticeable to us because we were side by side so you can see they were usually much more friendly to me and just pretty officious with her, so it wasn't like she was getting spat on or anything

Well the downside of an Irish passport used to be coming back into this country, I'd get a load of hassle until our Muslim brothers took the baton.

My mate is very friendly and lovely so don't think it is that.
Your statement about America specifically was a bit sceptical for me. I travel to America 4/5 times a year via different states and find it a breeze. Coming through Houston just last week, in the queue about 10 deep, most people were there at least 5 mins getting quizzed, I was through in 30 seconds. Same as NY, Boston, Florida etc. South America and Africa same, get through no problem (the latter sometimes you just need to know how to keep things moving 😉)

it was enough to piss her off, so definitely a thing, but maybe noticeable to us because we were side by side so you can see they were usually much more friendly to me and just pretty officious with her, so it wasn't like she was getting spat on or anything
Just never noticed it. And I often travel with a French lass. And everyone hates the French.
Your statement about America specifically was a bit sceptical for me. I travel to America 4/5 times a year via different states and find it a breeze. Coming through Houston just last week, in the queue about 10 deep, most people were there at least 5 mins getting quizzed, I was through in 30 seconds. Same as NY, Boston, Florida etc. South America and Africa same, get through no problem (the latter sometimes you just need to know how to keep things moving 😉)
So long as all your paper work is in order, it’s a piece of cake.

only saying what happened enough times for my mate to get annoyed

going into Las Vegas was totally the worst for her

Back