Any Benefits to Me Getting An Irish Passport?

Me nana was Irish, so I qualify for an Irish passport (I believe). Someone I work with got very excited when I mentioned it & said I should get it ASAP. What’s the benefits for me?

I don’t intend to live or work in the EU. Holidays are with my wife & kids, who are English, so they wouldn’t qualify, so passport control wouldn’t be different.

Can only think if travel, work or travelling abroad alone a lot there’d be advantages

I'm pretty sure if you get an Irish passport, then your kids will also be entitled. Would definitely be worth it for them - it'll open up tons of opportunities for them. Also, say if you decided to work abroad or even retire, because your wife is married to an EU citizen, you can get residency visas etc, meaning you're not tied down by the 90 day travel rules.
Non-EU spouses and children

For a little bit of hassle, you'd be mad not to go for it, especially for the opportunities it'll give your children...

I'm pretty sure if you get an Irish passport, then your kids will also be entitled. Would definitely be worth it for them - it'll open up tons of opportunities for them. Also, say if you decided to work abroad or even retire, because your wife is married to an EU citizen, you can get residency visas etc, meaning you're not tied down by the 90 day travel rules.

For a little bit of hassle, you'd be mad not to go for it, especially for the opportunities it'll give your children...
Excellent, thank you.

This is true.

But it's worth doing just to use the EU queue at airports. They will allow your whole family through even though its just you with the EU passport. It's class when the UK queue is huge.
Well if this is true it’s 100% worth it. Especially coming home when about 90 buses all seem to come in at once.

Yep just me wife with the Irish passport and we all go through that queue. Class at Alicante as I can spot Brexit voters in the other queue 😂

Will be getting them for the kids once British ones expire next.

45 minutes to get through the "other passport" queue at Málaga the other day. EU passport holders just sailed through.

Loads of people moaning in the queue about being treated as second class citizens even though a lot of them voted for it.

Parents or grandparents have to be Irish. I’m eligible as is my son but I don’t think his children will be. Keep meaning to apply but have to get copies of various docs to do so.

Yeah well worth doing, especially for your kids. Who knows when they'd want to move abroad.
Yep just me wife with the Irish passport and we all go through that queue. Class at Alicante as I can spot Brexit voters in the other queue 😂

Will be getting them for the kids once British ones expire next.
Bastards. I gave up my British passport and only have my kiwi one these days (it makes no difference to visas in Europe etc.) and I'm still stuck in the slow lane with everyone else :lol:

Last edited:
45 minutes to get through the "other passport" queue at Málaga the other day. EU passport holders just sailed through.

Loads of people moaning in the queue about being treated as second class citizens even though a lot of them voted for it.
I’ve twice waited 90 minutes and 3.5 hours at Charles De Gaulle. I might get mine for my work trips if nowt else. I’m due a new one by 2028.

Back